New iPhone 3GS

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 3

New iPhone 3GS

Post by A-R »

Just picked up an iPhone. Gonna try it for a few weeks before making final decision.

Would appreciate any tips, app recommendations, etc from anyone with experience with these things.

So far the web and mapping capabilities are amazing. The phone call clarity and AT&T's signal reliability are disappointing vs. Verizon.

But I was able to type this thread from the iPhone. :thumbs2:

dicion
Posts in topic: 2

Re: New iPhone 3GS

Post by dicion »

TX Statutes
or
TX Penal

All the CHL laws, there, at the tip of your fingers!! Yay!

Also get on twitter and download TwitterFon (free)! Follow myself (dicion) and Nitrogen - c0t0d0s2 if you desire, for #txchl related info.

I also frequently post from my phone!

If you want more reliable calls, disable 3g (settings, General, Network), as if the 3g signal drops, and it drops to Edge, it will drop a call.
Plus, it makes the battery last soo much longer. And Edge works fine for most apps. Pretty much just Youtube, web browsing, and audio streaming apps benefit from 3g more, so turn it on for those.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

I would love to hear more about this AR. I've been thinking about upgrading to one of these, but I don't know about AT&T. I'm currently with T-Mobile and other than getting missed call mesages several days later I'm satisfied with them.

Can you tell me some details about AT&T's on-line service? With T-Mobile I can view all calls and messages for all phones on my family plan. Not the text, of course, but who, when, and how long each call was.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

dlcrouch
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dlcrouch »

1) don't use the Apple earbuds for running or the gym. Sweat will get in the control and randomly activate voice control and the IPOD functions. I have already replaced one pair and now use some older throw away buds for running.
2) If you like to run, try RunKeeper - it will track your run in real time and upload the course and split times to their website. There is a free and paid version.
3) Pandora, XM Radio, Slacker, Radio Paradise - great music streaming apps. Rhapsody is on the way.
4) Mobile ME is, in my opinion, not worth the $ 100 / yr cost.
5) Get a protective case like an Otterbox or Iskin Revo - if you're like me, you'll drop it sooner or later.
6) They are quite a few IPhone forums and blogs out there - worth following if you want get the most out of your IPhone.

And, oh by the way, everyone hates ATT<g>

dicion
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dicion »

dlcrouch wrote: 5) Get a protective case like an Otterbox or Iskin Revo - if you're like me, you'll drop it sooner or later.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

LOVE my Otterbox. I've unintentionally drop-kicked my phone about a dozen times now. Can't even Tell.
One Caveat about the otterbox. As soon as you get it, rip out it's screen protector. It's crap. The rest of it is awesome.

Instead, put on an 'Invisible Shield' brand screen protector (available at Target) on the front of the iphone, let it dry properly, and install the otterbox (With it's screen protector removed) Over that.
It's Perfection.

I also removed the padding over the speaker and microphone on the bottom. It keeps moisture out, sure, but it also muffles the speaker and mic. This is a personal choice on my part.

ALSO!
If they tell you that you *NEED* the Enterprise Data plan to access Exchange Email, they are LYING to you. Maybe not technically lying, as they are just sales people, and they are just repeating what they were told.
You do not need it at all.. If you got it anyways, you can change it online at your account. Go bump it back down to the $20/month normal data plan. there is actually _no difference at all_ between the two.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

How's it been working so far?

Does anyone else have any input into this new phone?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

I've had one for about a month now and I love it. So much better than the Palm Treo it replaced. The MS Exchange email and calendar sync with my work email works flawlessly.
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

One app for shooting that no one mentioned is Surefire's Shot Timer http://shootingsportsblog.com/bulletboy ... hot-timer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, available on the iTunes store at http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 05845&mt=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It is a great app if you shoot competition and don't have a commercial shot timer. Even if you do, it is free, so why not have both!! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

Thinks for the tips. Keep 'em coming.

That Surefire timer app looks great. I am not a competitive shooter, but trying that at the range some time may just get my competitive juices flowing. What sensitivity setting do you use when at the range with other shooters near you? And what kind of timing "splits" are considered good? I realize this is a broad question, but I'm just wondering what someone who's never timed themself or even thought of such thing should look for as a good "first try" at timing?

Texas Statutes app is also great. Now just need to sit down and "bookmark" all the relavent CHL & use of force statutes so they're readily available.

Only had the iPhone a little over a week, and already convinced the other 3 members of my Verizon "family plan" to join me at AT&T on a new family plan (3 more iPhones). Been very happy with it so far. Call quality is getting better, but still not on par with Verizon (I'm willing to live with this downfall for now). If Verizon ever gets the iPhone (as has been rumored for a while), I'll likely be back to Verizon in two years unless AT&T makes serious improvements to their coverage in the north Austin area.

Did use the web capabilities at the range the other day while putting first 150 rounds thru my new Walther PPS. Wanted to replicate the CHL 50-round shooting test, but couldn't remember the shot sequence. So Googled it on my iPhone right at the firing line and had it in about 10 seconds. Sweet!

Texas statutes is only app I've paid for so far ($2.99?) Other FREE apps I've tried and like so far ...

* Shazam - this app "listens" to a song (on your car radio or whatever) and within about 15 seconds tells you the name of the artist, song, and album and asks if you'd like to download it from iTunes ... AMAZING
* entire US Constitution
* entire Bible in like 20-something different languages
* iHandy Level - actually WORKS ... a real working bubble level - handy is right
* FREE Wi-Fi finder ... a God send
* Dictionary.com - a lifesaver
* The Weather Channel - best weather app so far - great maps, in motion, so you can see where the approaching rain is (as if we've had any rain lately)
* ESPN ScoreCenter - very cool
* Lightsaber, Zippo Lighter, Flashlight ... all kinda pointless, but fun
* Bugs - my 3-year-old loves to "play" this game ... basically little digital ants, roaches, flies etc "crawl" across the screen and she presses them with her finger to smoosh them ... she can play this forever - or until Daddy says "can I have my phone back now?"
* Facebook, eBay, Wikipedia - iPhone apps for all three web sites work very well
* PolyProbeLT - another basically pointless app, but fun at parties ... you can set it to "detect" radiation like a geiger counter, determine if someone is Republican or Democrat etc. .... basically you have total influence over the end results by titling the iPhone imperceptably toward the result you'd like to see .... fools most people the first few times.
* iSniper Lite - intro version of a sniper game; not bad for a cell phone game, basic third-person shooter, lots of other "snipers" amongst a city scape, you scan around by tilting the iPhone side to side until you spot one, click in general area, which brings up your "scope", then you title phone again until you've got cross-hairs lined up; tap the screen and BANG ... bye bye bad guy. Also a "steady" button you can hold to slow your movement to zero in for head shots.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Just as I thought. I'm going to end up wanting one of these. However, I'm afraid of this next question. I'm currently with T-Mobile. If I got one of these phones and made the switch to AT&T, could I keep my number? This would probably be a deal breaker if the answer is no.

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

C-dub wrote:Just as I thought. I'm going to end up wanting one of these. However, I'm afraid of this next question. I'm currently with T-Mobile. If I got one of these phones and made the switch to AT&T, could I keep my number? This would probably be a deal breaker if the answer is no.
We kept all four of our Verizon numbers no problem. There's a federal law relating to that now.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

austinrealtor wrote:
C-dub wrote:Just as I thought. I'm going to end up wanting one of these. However, I'm afraid of this next question. I'm currently with T-Mobile. If I got one of these phones and made the switch to AT&T, could I keep my number? This would probably be a deal breaker if the answer is no.
We kept all four of our Verizon numbers no problem. There's a federal law relating to that now.
Outstanding! I'm that much closer to REALLY wanting one now. :drool:

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”