Joomla

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 7

Joomla

Post by Liberty »

I got a Headless ubuntu server system running with Samba and lamp. I think I got MYSQL and PHP running, and I get the IT Works page up when I call the server up from my desktop. I would like to run my own home webserver, with calandars TV channels and such. I've seen that Joombla is a popular choice in this forum. I am still trying to read up on it at the wiki site etc. But I am left wondering.

How involved is the install?
What does Joombla do for me? Does it have a WYSIWYG editor that I can access from a browser?
Is it worthjwhile for such a small scale project?

thanks.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Joomla

Post by pbwalker »

Liberty wrote:I got a Headless ubuntu server system running with Samba and lamp. I think I got MYSQL and PHP running, and I get the IT Works page up when I call the server up from my desktop. I would like to run my own home webserver, with calandars TV channels and such. I've seen that Joombla is a popular choice in this forum. I am still trying to read up on it at the wiki site etc. But I am left wondering.

How involved is the install?
What does Joombla do for me? Does it have a WYSIWYG editor that I can access from a browser?
Is it worthjwhile for such a small scale project?

thanks.
It's a great system for what you mentioned. The install is very easy (just drop the content in to the directory of choice, visit http://{ip address}/install (or something close to that) and follow the on screen instructions. Joomla will let you know if you are missing any piece. Joomla is somewhat known for its 'openness' and constant battle to plug vulnerabilities, but for home use, you are fine. (Some will argue this, but I've seen it far too many times working with a webhoster...Joomla / Mambo are usually the big cause of a compromise on boxes it is installed on)

I prefer Plone, but that is a bit more techy. Check out eGroupware too...
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I am a little new to this server stuff, but I'm kinda impressed at how easy and useful this server stuff is with Ubuntu. I don't worry to much about locking her down, cause its a local network only. I have hand coded a few web pages, in the early days, but all this PHP and MYSQL this is new and something I hope to learn on.

It still isn't clear to me whether this is a wsiwyg or fill in fill in the blanks. I suppose suppose the only way to understand how it all works is to just install it!

Edited to clarify some awful phrasing
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Liberty: Joomla does have a WYSISYG editor. In fact, there are at least two others you can add on that are very popular. I'd be happy to help you with the Joomla install and set up if you need it. I can't help with the server though.

Chas.

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Liberty: Joomla does have a WYSISYG editor. In fact, there are at least two others you can add on that are very popular. I'd be happy to help you with the Joomla install and set up if you need it. I can't help with the server though.

Chas.
Thanks Charles,
I'm going to start on it tommorow. It will be a fun project for me, I really haven't dug into the documentation to much, because I was just trying to figure out if it will do what I want and if I'm going to get over my head. It looks like it will do what I want and that the server stuff should be in good shape.

Thanks for the offer of help, I'll let you know if I get in over my head and need it.
Liberty''s Blog

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

Take a look at Drupal as well
I just started working with it
Im a Windows Sysadmin Full time, who runs 2 Linux servers on my part time ....
Trying to build my part time hosting business - if you know anyone that needs help hosting or managing a forum let me know
I mostly work with Vbulletin but can host any LAMP compatible sites
We also host static html accounts

particle

Post by particle »

I love Joomla - it's pretty powerful, very customizable, and from my understanding, the front-end is more "pretty" than some of the other options. My mind is graphically oriented, so the behind-the-scenes stuff in Joomla took me a while to grasp (figuring out categories, sections, modules, plugins, extensions, etc. and learning how to pull everything together and get it to show up on the screen where you're expecting it). But if you're running your own server, the back-end stuff will probably be a breeze for you. There are tons of nice looking free templates to re-skin it, and even more VERY nice looking templates available for purchase.

This is a very simple site I created for my parents with Joomla. I love being able to log in to submit new articles remotely - such as new guest feedback entries, reviews of places we've visited, etc. And my mom can log in as an editor and update text as she sees fit.

http://creeksidelodgecabin.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Particle,
Youve given me some great Ideas. The way the pages all work together is something I've never been able to achieve. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I won't be going public with my pages when I see what you can do with Joomla.
Liberty''s Blog

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldCannon »

Joomla is nice, I think it fills an interesting gap between Wordpress and Drupal. Having said that, I don't personally recommend Joomla. If you just have a single person website/blog, Wordpress is enormously powerful (and a large community creating plugins), if you want something that scales more for ecommerce or multiple person blogs, I recommend Drupal. Mind you, I'm not saying Joomla is _bad_, it does its job well, but if you find your self needing to expand/modify/grow, I think you'll find yourself far more constrained than with Drupal.

BTW, if you want to create customized themes for Wordpress, Drupal, or Joomla, check out Artisteer (artisteer.com). Quite awesome, and VERY inexpensive for a personal version.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I'm still trying to get a handle on this Linux stuff. In the mean time I found out that my blog will will no longer be supported by blogger. I've got to figure out a way to keep it running .. I will be looking closely at Wordpress after all.
Liberty''s Blog

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Well if you know linux and want an easy to configure and run pre-setup server distro go with clarkconnect..which is now ClearOS

Its based off of CentOS which is a "de-proprietarized" Redhat Server Release

I have been running a ClarkConnect hosting my webserver and chat/php forums for over 4 years now on an old decrepit XP1800 256MB RAM and it does GREAT!

Also you can install just about any "server" distro and get a web based administration program called "WEBMIN" http://www.webmin.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and with a few clicks of a button..click bip boop..server is hammering along.

ClarkConnect/ClearOS is a very nice and expandable distro...you will enjoy it!

I had HTTPD, MySQL, Webmail, 2 or 3 myphp forums, an active php chat server and many other servers/services running from a simple box that was sitting on the shelf at my house..
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Russell wrote:Liberty,

If you need a home for a bit for your public blog before you get your own account (or setup your own public server), let me know. I would be happy to give you an account on the server that hosts texas3006.com. It's a personal server that I use for all of my email and a few websites. 1 more site on it won't be a big deal =)
Russell this is a most generous offer. My blog is hosted on space provided for me by godaddy. Blogger aka google, doesn't want to support blogs that they have to FTP to anymore.. My blog is 7 years old and I want to continue it without having to start over and do so with continuity. I have untill May 1st. Right now I think I'm going to use WoRusselRussell this is a most generous offer. My blog is hosted on space provided for me by godaddy. Blogger aka google, doesn't want to support blogs that they have to FTP to anymore.. My blog is 7 years old and I want to continue it without having to start over and do so with continuity. IK have untill MAy 1st. Right now I think I'm going to use Wordpress, they have some tools to help me migrate. Russell this is a most generous offer. My blog is hosted on space provided for me by godaddy. Blogger aka google, doesn't want to support blogs that they have to FTP to anymore.. My blog is 7 years old and I want to continue it without having to start over and do so with continuity. IK have untill MAy 1st. Right now I think I'm going to use Wordpress, they have some tools to help me migrate. l this is a most generous offer. My blog is hosted on space provided for me by godaddy. Blogger aka google, doesn't want to support blogs that they have to FTP to anymore.. My blog is 7 years old and I want to continue it without having to start over and do so with continuity. IK have untill MAy 1st. Right now I think I'm going to use Wordpress, they have some tools to help me migrate. rdpress, they have some tools to help me migrate, Its a good sized body of work, and I'm a little nervous about screwing it up, wish me luck ;)
Liberty''s Blog

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”