Scantron Cognition software & hardware

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Scantron Cognition software & hardware

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Does anyone have real world experience with Scantron Cognition software and scanners? I need to know what the real world accuracy is when dealing with handwritten characters and numerals.

Thanks,
Chas.

phray
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Scantron Cognition software & hardware

Post by phray »

Not with Cognition specifically, but my place of employ does use Scantron Class Climate for testing and the software is immensely powerful and quite useful once everything is all configured just right. It does seem quite good at optical character recognition as well, but we don't use that very often. They've come quite a long way since I used their #2 pencil forms in school.

That said, the configuration was pretty tough. It's very in depth and there are TONS of options. They did send an Installer/Instructor when we first purchased the software and he was very knowledgeable and helpful, so there was little for us to do on our own. The scanner that we bought at the time was not their top of the line, and it is rather finicky. It seems to forget the calibration settings periodically. However, they don't sell that particular model anymore, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

In short, Class Climate is extremely powerful but a little tricky to setup. Once we got it all set up, and figured out our scanners calibration issue, it runs like a champ.

I know that's not quite what you asked about, but I figured I'd throw in my two cents.
Gregg County
CHL Class: 02/07/09
Mailed to DPS: 03/19/09
DPS received: 03/23/09
Processing: 05/05/09
Approved: 06/07/09
In hand: 06/10/09

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”