Cell Phone and modem ?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Cell Phone and modem ?

Post by Piney »

Greetings-

I'll be away from a land line phone for several days at a time. My cell will work just fine though.

Im assuming there is a cable that I can obtain that will allow me to plug my laptop's phone port (modem-RJ-11) into my cell and thus use it to dial my ISP.

Is there such an animal or will I need to get other parts$$$ ?

deadeyearcher

Post by deadeyearcher »

You need an adapter, but it depends on your phone. What is the model number of your phone?

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

You can also obtain a PCMCIA card for your laptop that will allow you to access the internet through your cellular provider.

I have high speed access through Sprint with such a card. It is really nice.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

youngGun

Post by youngGun »

If both your laptop and cell phone have bluetooth, you can get this done without wires. Depends on the phone model and laptop though. One other thing to check on is the data plan. Often it's expensive if you pay per KB or MB, but many providers provide a flat rate, which is much cheaper if you use it much.

One more thing: at this point your cell provider is your ISP, so you may need to set up SMTP authentication to send any email, unless you use webmail.

brandon

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”