Problems logging on

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 4

Problems logging on

Post by RPBrown »

In the past couple of days I have had a problem logging on. I have had the same user name and password since I have been a member. However, Monday, I was not allowed to log on. The 1st attempt said I had exceeded my number of log on attempts. I thought maybe I had hit a wrong key and continued to try. I finally had to hit forgot my password and after receiving a login password, I changed it in my user panel.

This morning I had the same problem and had to do the same thing.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Problems logging on

Post by RPB »

I always use Firefox
Yesterday, I opened Internet Exploder and got exceeded my number of log on attempts
I closed Internal Exploder and opened Firefox and got it again
I closed everything, used CCleaner and re-opened Firefox, and everything worked.
In Firefox even using ccleaner if ccleaner has "saved passwords" unchecked, it pops up on the login page with correct username password all filled in.

Could be a cache/cookie type issue .... dunno

I use CCleaner with the "clear saved passwords" box UNCHECKED, and "AUTOCOMPLETE checked, usually but I cleared autocomplete yesterday too.

Everything works again now and I've probably logged in 30 times since then.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

I've been battling this for a couple of months now. Tried just about everything.

Adding the forum to my trusted sites helped somewhat, but still have problems.

Multiple attempts needed to get logged in, get logged out while right in the middle of something (repeatedly).

Doesn't happen anywhere else, only here. Oddly, I usually have no problems late at night, early mornings or on Sunday Mornings (go figure). Beats me..... :???:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Well I did the cache cookie and create new shortcuts because at MSN it was common after we moved servers around sometimes.

Was common if people connected through a "Favorite" or bookmark, so they'd need to make new ones. I still can't explain why exactly, but try clearing cache, cookies and making a new shortcut to get in.

Tis alll I know. and seems to have worked.
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

RPB wrote:Well I did the cache cookie and create new shortcuts because at MSN it was common after we moved servers around sometimes.

Was common if people connected through a "Favorite" or bookmark, so they'd need to make new ones. I still can't explain why exactly, but try clearing cache, cookies and making a new shortcut to get in.

Okay, I tried this and for now it seems okay but now I cannot post pictures. If I had any hair I would start pulling it out. :???:
TSRA-Life member

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

RPBrown wrote:
RPB wrote:Well I did the cache cookie and create new shortcuts because at MSN it was common after we moved servers around sometimes.

Okay, I tried this and for now it seems okay but now I cannot post pictures. If I had any hair I would start pulling it out. :???:
As attachments from your My Pictures on your computer, or from online storage [img ] link [/img ] like photobucket?
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

RPB wrote:
RPBrown wrote:

As attachments from your My Pictures on your computer, or from online storage [img ] link [/img ] like photobucket?
have been able to post them before. Just not now. I was able to log in this morning though but I had checked "keep me logged in" yesterday and it did not. Thinking it may be something in our new server but not sure. Going to try again when I get home tonight.
TSRA-Life member

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Not sure what happened...but all my problems (log in's) ceased...shortly after posting in this thread.

Karma?

Nice to actually be able to navigate the forum again...without getting logged off.

Hope it remains so. :mrgreen:

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

checked "keep me logged in"
Using Firefox and ccleaner with save passwords unchecked, it retains username and Password login info but yes, I have to re-check "keep me logged in" too, but that's all ... which keeps me in until I clean again, which I do daily anyway so .. :lol:
I'm no lawyer

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

flintknapper wrote:Not sure what happened...but all my problems (log in's) ceased...shortly after posting in this thread.

Karma?

Nice to actually be able to navigate the forum again...without getting logged off.

Well....that didn't last long. :???:

Right back to multiple problems getting logged in, staying logged on, getting bumped off while navigating the site. Sigh..............

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

flintknapper wrote:
flintknapper wrote:Not sure what happened...but all my problems (log in's) ceased...shortly after posting in this thread.

Karma?

Right back to multiple problems getting logged in, staying logged on, getting bumped off while navigating the site. Sigh..............
Probably not the cause, but my brother can't use MagicJack because it disconnects/reconnects very very fast, relatively unnoticed, but the microseconds of disconnect time doesn't affect most things, but does some.
Just curious ... satellite connection or cable/DSL/wireless ?
I'm no lawyer

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

RPB wrote:
flintknapper wrote:

Karma?

Probably not the cause, but my brother can't use MagicJack because it disconnects/reconnects very very fast, relatively unnoticed, but the microseconds of disconnect time doesn't affect most things, but does some.
Just curious ... satellite connection or cable/DSL/wireless ?
Satellite connection, but that would not explain why I have trouble at this site only.

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LikesShinyThings »

flintknapper wrote: Satellite connection, but that would not explain why I have trouble at this site only.
Nor why you only just started having problems, when previously you had no problems.

(Falling into "Microsoft Support" mode, please forgive me)

Did you happen to install any new software shortly before you started having problems? Maybe upgraded a virus checker? Installed an operating system patch?

I've noticed that sometimes when I install an OS patch/update, one thing or another in one of my apps will get some "changed/flaky" behavior that seems to last until the next OS patch installs. I've never worried enough about it to track it down for sure to the OS patch, but thought it might be worth mentioning.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

pcgizzmo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pcgizzmo »

I just spent all last night trying to sign in via Google Chrome which I prefer and had been using but all the sudden it stopped working. I assumed my browser some how forgot my password but even me typing in what I thought was the password did not work.

I decided to reset my password. It still would not work. I got the "Captcha" reply saying I had too many logon attempts so I had to verify the name of the site. Someone should think about changing this challenge to something else. The reason being is it's confusing. Since it's case sensitive I have to decide to use the title that displays with the flag which is in all caps or the title to the right of the flag which only the T in Texas and CHL are in caps and then I have to decide if I need to put the .com at the end of it our not. Common sense told me that I didn't need the .com but after it not working as TEXASCHLFORUM or TexasCHLforum I got to thinking it might need the .com. That didn't work either.

Long story short I opened Firefox today and it worked with my old password but Google Chrome that was working is not. I made sure my password was what I thought it was by going into the control panel and changing it.

There is something weird with the security going on.

Topic author
RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Okay, time to bring this up again. I gave up trying to log in from work as I guess that our filter will not allow me to. But now I am having the same problems at home.

What is stranger yet, I re-posted this a week or so ago and apparantly got a reply today. But, I tried to go through the email that was sent me to see the response and it said I was not authorized to view this forum. Okay, I go through the log on process ant the post was gone. Not sure if it had been deleated by the Mods or what. I would think if it were deleated they would have sent me a PM saying why.

Anyone else having any of these problems still?
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”