Photo Sharing for Website?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Photo Sharing for Website?

Post by Keith B »

I am looking for suggestions on either very simple to use software for hosting an photo gallery on a website, or a good public site to use.

We would need the capability of multiple members being able to share their photos in separate 'albums'. Would prefer multiple logins/passwords, but a common one would be OK. Just must be very user friendly to upload and share photos for those members that are not very computer literate. We would want the photos to be shareable, or to be locked down so no one can download them.

Input?

Thanks!
Keith
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Photo Sharing for Website?

Post by Excaliber »

Keith B wrote:I am looking for suggestions on either very simple to use software for hosting an photo gallery on a website, or a good public site to use.

We would need the capability of multiple members being able to share their photos in separate 'albums'. Would prefer multiple logins/passwords, but a common one would be OK. Just must be very user friendly to upload and share photos for those members that are not very computer literate. We would want the photos to be shareable, or to be locked down so no one can download them.

Input?

Thanks!
Keith
I've found Photobucket to be easy to set up an account with and use. I use it for sharing photos with the family and others.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Have used Photobucket for years. Its much better now...than in years past.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I am really looking for multiple folks to be able to post their photos in separate albums, but under one group. It is for our balloon club. Photobucket is restricted to individual users per account I believe.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

Keith B wrote:I am really looking for multiple folks to be able to post their photos in separate albums, but under one group. It is for our balloon club. Photobucket is restricted to individual users per account I believe.
Group albums
Upload photos & videos with friends all in one place
http://photobucket.com/groupalbums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not exactly sure how it works, but I think that's what you mean?
Create http://photobucket.com/groupalbums/create" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Create a group album
Upload photos & videos with friends all in one place.
Oops, that's unavailable

Here are some alternative options:

Group album name:Example: My birthday

Description:(optional)

Categories: (optional - select up to three)

* Animals & Pets
* Art, Design & Photography
* Backgrounds
* College
* Entertainment & Celebrities
* Families
* Fashion
* Glitter
* High School
* Hobbies, Crafts & Auto
* Home, Garden & Foods
* Icons
* Just for Fun
* Music
* News & Politics
* Parties, Events & Holidays
* Quotes and Sayings
* Romance & Weddings
* Sports, Teams & Clubs
* Travel & Places
* Other

Make it easy to find with a custom URL: (optional)
photobucket.com/
example: photobucket.com/jenny

Notify me when there are new photos or videos in this group album

Notify me when there are new comments in this group album

Who can view your group album?
Public - Anyone

Private - Only people who know the URL
and this password

Who can add files to your group album?
Viewers can add files instantly

Viewers can add files that I'll approve first
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

oh, same group, different albums ,,, hmmm perhaps thre can be sub-albums in the group album? not sure ... maybe different group albums with custom named urls? but they wouldn't be like in one folder.

What I did with family is just sent them all the link, username and password, but I think I see what you mean maybe.
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

RPB wrote:oh, same group, different albums ,,, hmmm perhaps thre can be sub-albums in the group album? not sure ... maybe different group albums with custom named urls? but they wouldn't be like in one folder.

What I did with family is just sent them all the link, username and password, but I think I see what you mean maybe.
I think this may be a solution. Will dig into it more.

Thanks!
Keith

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Keith B wrote:
RPB wrote:oh, same group, different albums ,,, hmmm perhaps thre can be sub-albums in the group album? not sure ... maybe different group albums with custom named urls? but they wouldn't be like in one folder.

I think this may be a solution. Will dig into it more.

Thanks!
lol no problem, I made quite a few lately, one for a girl in Australia whose computer died and she lost all her photos, one for family, one for my brother's art/fruit carving business, ... but hadnt't looked into groups before
I'm no lawyer

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

OK you didn't say free, so I'm going to recommend Cadillacing it.
You can get a domain and web site , that will host a blog. Something like Wordpress. Will take a little time to set up, but you can set catagories by events, and members.

Total cost is a bout a hundred bucks a year, but the advantage is you have control.

It sounds harder than it really is. There are lots of not too bright folks that have set up and run blogs.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

I use http://www.photopost.com/ on couple domains. There are hundreds if not thousands of sites that use photopost.
Many would allow you to register and post pictures ...
Another option would be to register a domain, which would cost $10 a year, get a webhosting account for ~$4 a month.
And use software like Coppermine, which is free photogallery software. http://coppermine-gallery.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both galleries solve your problems and give you the control you want.
Many webhosts help you install free gallery like coppermine with a single click.

timdsmith72

Post by timdsmith72 »

You might look into Picasa. It's what I use to share pictures with family/friends. People can add photos to albums via either email, web page, or directly with the picasa client. Based on the security settings you set, of course.

http://picasa.google.com/features.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I have a domain and account, but most of the photo gallery software to host your own photos uses php, and due to other things hosted on the server, I will not put php on it.

Will probably look at just using the Photobucket group option. Think it will do what we need and be easy enough for our non-computer literate folks to post photos.
Keith

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”