I PHONE 4 - 16GB verses IPHONE 4 - 32GB

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 7

Re: I PHONE 4 - 16GB verses IPHONE 4 - 32GB

Post by carlson1 »

Wife got the IPHONE for my Father's Day. I am glad I have up to 14 days to return it.

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LikesShinyThings »

carlson1 wrote:Wife got the IPHONE for my Father's Day. I am glad I have up to 14 days to return it.
The irony of that is just amusing as all get out. I hope you laughed (and explained) when you found out.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philip964 »

I'm a died in the wool PC person. So when I bought my first Apple iphone I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to learn how to make it work.

I now have an iphone 4 with 16mb. I take a lot of photographs every day and the camera is excellent. I must have 2000 photographs on it that I have not erased. It comes with HDR standard on the camera. This helps you remove the deep shadows from your photos.

I'm not a big "apps" person, but I do have maybe 20 on the phone. With Pandora (an app) you really don't need to have your music on the phone. So I haven't bothered to load any music on the iphone. I have down loaded one book to read when I can't get the internet on the phone. I have no movies down loaded. I've taken up about half the memory.

So if you want to store every photo you have ever taken, have your entire book and music library on the phone, and just love to watch movies on your iphone, I'd get the 32 mb.

As an aside. I love the tool apps on my iphone. Flashlight, Level, Sound level meter, RF meter, Light meter, etc.

While I was typing this I realized there may be a shot timer, I hadn't thought about that. Sure enough there is a shot timer for the iphone. Love it.

Well there's a hundred dollars I don't have to spend.

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 6

Post by BrianSW99 »

philip964 wrote: While I was typing this I realized there may be a shot timer, I hadn't thought about that. Sure enough there is a shot timer for the iphone. Love it.
There are at least a couple of shot timers. I like the one from SureFire the best, and it's free. You can adjust the sensitivity and I've found that if I make it sensitive enough it will pick up the click of a dry fire, so I can practice my draws for IDPA in my living room (in a safe direction).

Brian

AEA
Posts in topic: 13

Post by AEA »

Which brings up a point......
What did you end up getting Carl?
16 or 32?

And, have you figured it all out yet?
Do you see it as a "necessity" over a regular Cell phone?
And, how do you like the price of use?
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

16 4g which means nothing to me. Not real computer savvy, but the phone is nice.

paulhailes
Posts in topic: 2

Post by paulhailes »

gigag04 wrote:I got grandfathered into unlimited data and I sure use it. Netflix is my friend.
I don't know what I would do without the unlimited.

Hi my name is Paul, and I use a lot of data.

jmra

Post by jmra »

paulhailes wrote:
gigag04 wrote:I got grandfathered into unlimited data and I sure use it. Netflix is my friend.

My name is James and I too use a lot of data. That being said, I didn't keep my unlimited plan for my current use but for what I believe my future needs will require. As more and more features become available not worrying about usage is going to be really nice.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

jmra wrote:
paulhailes wrote:

My name is James and I too use a lot of data. That being said, I didn't keep my unlimited plan for my current use but for what I believe my future needs will require. As more and more features become available not worrying about usage is going to be really nice.
That's one of the main reasons I'm keeping mine too

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Ok I will take the bait! What is data and how do you decide how much data you are using? I am on the very lowest data plan they offer. I did get a KJV Bibe app along with the Greek and Hebrew dictionary.

My wife down loaded "Angry Birds." I don't see the point as I have deacons to make me angry enough. :lol:

I was not offered an "unlimited" plan. I am not for sure how much data I am allowed, but do know it is the cheapest package.

I have found it to be user friendly more than the Blackberry. I will say the battery life on the IPHONE does not last long. I can talk it down pretty quick.

AEA

Post by AEA »

If you are on AT&T, you have the 200mb (VERY LITTLE) data plan.
I do not know what the minimum data plan is for Verizon.

Data is anything that you do via the internet on the iPhone, ANYTHING!

It is a VERY DANGEROUS plan!
200mb is practically no more than using LIMITED email with no attachments.
The iPhone actually uses some data on it's own without your knowledge! It uses some data every night for some unknown reason that AT&T will not explain.

Anything over 200mb at the end of your Monthly Billing Cycle you will be charged additional money, and it's not cheap!

I kinda think you are on Verizon because you said you had the 16gb model phone with 4G. You should get their account usage application and keep up with your data used DAILY! DO NOT go over your plan limit or you will pay thru the nose!

If I were you, limited in knowledge about internet, data consumption, etc., I would be running back to turn in the phone and drop the contract. You are exactly they type of person they like to get their hooks into.

Sorry to have to be the one to tell you this Carl.
1911's RULE!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

Actually, you may want to upgrade and get the higher data plan to start with. This will give you 2GB of data usage a month. Then, after a couple of months and the new wears off of having the Internet, see how much data you are using a month and then drop the plan back down to the lower one if you don't use it.

And, there is not an unlimited plan any longer as there were too many using 10 - 12GB + a month and hogging bandwidth on cell sites.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

The average user would be hard pressed to use 2GB. If you go over, it is not super expensive. I think $5-10 for another gig (I was grandfathered in w/unlimited).

I track my usage, and I watch alot of netflix on my iPhone and I still don't use alot of data.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have Verizon and just called customer service and they say that my plan is unlimited. :thewave

So I retract my earlier statement. You folks had me sweating a little.

AEA

Post by AEA »

carlson1 wrote:I have Verizon and just called customer service and they say that my plan is unlimited. :thewave

So I retract my earlier statement. You folks had me sweating a little.
Might want to get that in writing Carl!

From CNET - Mar 2011:
"Verizon's "darling" status with iPhone users may quickly be coming to an end as a new report from Bloomberg cites Verizon's Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo saying unlimited data plans will no longer be available from the new iPhone carrier.

Current switchers can grab the $30 per month unlimited data plan for their iPhone 4, but that could all change shortly. The offering, which Shammo said was "not a long-term solution," was likely just a marketing tool to entice the first wave of iPhone users to jump from AT&T, which currently does not offer an unlimited data plan.

Some users may see this as a "bait and switch" by Verizon, though considering the smartphone landscape, offering an unlimited data plan does not seem to maximize profits. Verizon will be switching to a tiered structure, much like the one that AT&T offers (currently $15 for 250Mb or $30 for 2Gb).

"We see the potential of our customer base spending in that $30 to $50 range," Shammo said. "As smartphone prices come down, more people will be able to afford them. We have to get those customers a sufficient entry point. We're still wrestling with what that entry point is."

Translation: the money is in the data.

Reuters and the Wall Street Journal have follow-up reports stating that Verizon's new pricing will take place in the middle of the summer, likely corresponding with Apple's release of the iPhone 5.

"We will probably do that in the mid-summer time frame," said Shammo, adding that initially Verizon, "didn't want to put up a barrier" for new customers hoping to find a better network."
1911's RULE!

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”