Outside Cameras

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Outside Cameras

Post by carlson1 »

I am not computer person so please use kindergarten terms.

I would like two outside video cameras that are wireless, viewable in low light, able to bring it up on my computer, and be able to monitor it on a monitor next to my TV at all times. Do they make such a creature?

Where would be the best place to get this camera and how expensive are they?

Thanks

AEA

Re: Outside Cameras

Post by AEA »

I would recommend to forget about wireless.
Wired is the only way to go for security cameras that must have dedicated power 24/7, 365.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I was afraid of that.

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OldCannon »

You could go wireless, but there's a good list of reasons why you shouldn't, beginning with "If you have to run power to it, you can run ethernet to it" (and a decent wired outdoor camera now uses what's called Power Over Ethernet, so only one wire gets snaked directly to the cam). Not to mention the inherent security issues associated with wireless transmission.

If you really need wireless, you could try one of these Panasonic cameras (" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), but built-in wireless cameras aren't cheap. A wired camera will be much cheaper (on amazon, $560 vs about $130).
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

AEA

Post by AEA »

If you are set on "wireless", consider forgetting about video and just buy a few "Game Cameras" at BassPro or other hunting places that will work on motion sensing and still shots at a settable rate. These are sometimes camouflaged which would work good up in your trees and cheap too!

Even the best and most expensive video security cameras leave a lot to be desired in regards to quality of picture. Why spend the money? You can get the still shot "Game Cams" (selectable shot intervals) for relatively little money. Yes they have batteries that die but they only draw low power when in sensing mode and only really use power when taking pictures. I am not sure how long the batteries last but would be longer than a wireless video unit. Also if/when the perp sees your cameras and rips them down, you won't be out a lot of money to replace them.

I would also buy a few "Fake" video cameras to place around as well. That way if/when they do see them and rip them down, you have a better chance of some real ones still recording the event.
1911's RULE!

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

AEA wrote:If you are set on "wireless", consider forgetting about video and just buy a few "Game Cameras" at BassPro or other hunting places that will work on motion sensing and still shots at a settable rate. These are sometimes camouflaged which would work good up in your trees and cheap too!

Even the best and most expensive video security cameras leave a lot to be desired in regards to quality of picture. Why spend the money? You can get the still shot "Game Cams" (selectable shot intervals) for relatively little money. Yes they have batteries that die but they only draw low power when in sensing mode and only really use power when taking pictures. I am not sure how long the batteries last but would be longer than a wireless video unit. Also if/when the perp sees your cameras and rips them down, you won't be out a lot of money to replace them.

I would also buy a few "Fake" video cameras to place around as well. That way if/when they do see them and rip them down, you have a better chance of some real ones still recording the event.
The Security Consultant in me has to say that fake cameras are a very bad idea... Implied sense of security lawsuits have cost many millions of dollars, whereas a quaility fixed camera, less than a grand...

Just sayin'.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

AEA

Post by AEA »

I only suggested fakes IN ADDITION TO REAL ONES, as further deterrents.

And, that is what the CPO/CSS in me thinks (based on actual experience).
1911's RULE!

tacticool
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tacticool »

PBratton wrote:The Security Consultant in me has to say that fake cameras are a very bad idea... Implied sense of security lawsuits have cost many millions of dollars,
Please name one successful lawsuit against a homeowner in Texas who installed fake security cameras.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Never stated specifics regarding homeowners... But living in the environment we do today and that folks will sue anyone that has pocket deeper than they have, lawsuits happen. Whether it is won or lost, money has been spent.

With that said, if you want to see listings of lawsuits, or other professional opinions regarding fake camera installations, do an internet search or contact the Sears legal department, PCGSolutions. Contact the ASIS, (American Society for Industrial Security), ask them to speak with someone that can provide you with a listing of lawsuits related to dummy or fake cameras.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

AEA wrote:I only suggested fakes IN ADDITION TO REAL ONES, as further deterrents.

And, that is what the CPO/CSS in me thinks (based on actual experience).
Understood, and appreciate your experiences. As a security professional, I will never recommend dummy cameras for any application.

Again, just my opinion. Take it for what you paid for it.

PappaGun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PappaGun »

Do you really need it to be wireless?

If you have an attic and or soffits, it's not at all difficult to get power to the camera. You're not running 120v.

They run on low voltage and if you get a cable that carries both video and power you only snake a cable one time.

I bought a 700 tvl infrared camera on line for $105 including shipping, paid $20 locally for a cable and had it installed in a couple of hours.
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

PappaGun wrote:Do you really need it to be wireless?

If you have an attic and or soffits, it's not at all difficult to get power to the camera. You're not running 120v.

They run on low voltage and if you get a cable that carries both video and power you only snake a cable one time.

I bought a 700 tvl infrared camera on line for $105 including shipping, paid $20 locally for a cable and had it installed in a couple of hours.
That sound great to me. Do you live close to Irving and if you do would you like to help a forum member out a little bit?

PappaGun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PappaGun »

PM Sent
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”