Facebook privacy settings

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Facebook privacy settings

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Neither my wife or I are Facebook experts. Heck, we're not even Facebook novices yet! This new "timeline" format is bothering me when it comes to privacy. I just looked at my wife's site and it has a segment titled "Activity - Recent" and it shows things like profile updates, new friends added, etc. and that's fine. However, it also shows that she "browsed Jax 8 month old Boston Terrier in Spring, TX on Marketplace." That bothers me a lot! I don't care that she looked at a Boston Terrier, but it's none of anyone's business what she looks at. I looked for a way to turn this off, but I don't see it on my control panel. However, I'm not using the "timeline" format so that may be why I can't find anything.

Does anyone know how to turn this "feature" off?

Thanks,
Chas.

Keith B

Re: Facebook privacy settings

Post by Keith B »

That is the problem with the new timeline format, it is VERY open to the public and extremely hard to lock down. I have gotten to the point where I just don't post anything private out there.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Keith B wrote:That is the problem with the new timeline format, it is VERY open to the public and extremely hard to lock down. I have gotten to the point where I just don't post anything private out there.
The thing that bothers me is that even if she doesn't post anything, it shows what she looked at. It may be limited to market items, but I don't like that either. You can bet she's going to get slammed with spam email trying to sell her something similar to the sections she looked at in a market section.

Chas.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I think it mainly shows what you 'like' and things you comment on. I haven't seen an influx of new spam related to anything that I could tie to Facebook, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I am not a Facebook or social media guru by any means, but I bet we have a couple of folks on the forum that are. Hopefully they will chime in soon. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Tbucher1218

Post by Tbucher1218 »

I just double checked mine and it only shows things that I have liked, commented on or joined. It does not show any pages that I have just browsed. You can also go into privacy settings and set it to only show your activities to friends, friends of friends or public. You can customize it to be sure not to show it to certain people or groups as well. I keep all of mine at friends only. The only thing the public can see on my timeline is my cover picture and any public polls that I have done. If you want to see what it looks like to the public, underneath the cover pictures there is a gear/flower looking icon, click on that and go down to the "view as" It will show you what your public timeline looks like.

Hope this helps
02/27/12 Online App
06/06/12 Plastic in Hand. 71 Days!

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Divided Attention »

Charles, with her logged in, go to her profile and say "view as", put in someone she is not friends with. This will show you how her page looks to "non-friends". Also, check to the right of the "viewed Boston Terrier" post and hover, a drop down arrow should appear, you might be able to stop this type of thing from posting to her page at all with the drop down choices. Good luck!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Tbucher1218 wrote:.... go into privacy settings and set it to only show your activities to friends....
I just did that. Maybe this deluge of waste (spam) that I've been getting of late will die off?

Good luck.

mjoplin

Post by mjoplin »

Has anyone found a way to revert back from timeline to the old format?
NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550
This message was created using only recycled electrons

Tbucher1218

Post by Tbucher1218 »

I don't believe you can. It wouldn't matter though, I believe after today, they are supposed to convert everyone over to the new timeline. :eek6
02/27/12 Online App
06/06/12 Plastic in Hand. 71 Days!

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

When offered the opportunity to "upgrade" to the new timeline format, I declined. I still have the old format version. But like many, I don't post anything that I consider private.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”