The Wonderful "Ctrl +Z"

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

The Wonderful "Ctrl +Z"

Post by steveincowtown »

Frequently when typing a post I may actually delete part of some else's quote when posting, or delete my own post on accident, or what to back up/ take a mulligan.

On this board, and in almost all windows programs you can hit Ctrl+Z and "undo" whatever you just did. It is great for posting here, working in Word or Excel, Photoshop, etc. You can hit it multiple times to back up multiple steps.

This may be one of those things that everyone already knows...but I have been surprised how many don't!
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

jeffrw

Re: The Wonderful "Ctrl +Z"

Post by jeffrw »

Ctrl-Z is a lifesaver! I can't even count how many times it has saved my bacon when I've accidentally deleted something, or clicked the wrong thing and gotten some weird format setting for my document.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

If you use Firefox, there is an Undo option in the Edit menu that does the same.

lipstickandlead

Post by lipstickandlead »

FYI! And just in case you are on a Mac computer it's "command + z" Mac has replaced any CTRL key combinations with the command key.
"Shoot like a girl ... if you can" http://www.lipstickandlead.com

jmra

Post by jmra »

if only I could find the "Ctrl" key on my iPhone...
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Thanks, that's something I did not know. I wonder if there's anything else I don't know? :headscratch

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I was showing a co-worker how to change the font of part of a document in Word and she highlighted and deleted the whole thing, she has a tendency to jump ahead and is very quick on the trigger. Luckily, before she had a chance to do more than swear and run the cursor up to <file<close>> I was able to stop her. While I tried to explain what "we" were about to do, she was starting to berate me, herself, and Word, not necessarily in that order, and was mystified when I told her that all she had to do was get the cursor down out of the menu bar and into the document and press <CTRL-Z> and all would be right with the world.

She was amazed.

I didn't bother to tell her that since she was working from an existing document, when she closed it she would be given the option to save or discard her changes, and if she discarded them, the original would remain unaffected.

Now she happily uses <CTRL-Z> in all sorts of programs.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”