Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Blake
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Blake »

I've re-sized the photo I want for my avatar to 53 X 80 pixels, but it doesn't work...

This is the photo I'm wanting to use.

Untitled by Blake Tyler, on Flickr

Any suggestions?

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Avatar help?

Post by Jumping Frog »

Your link is not to the actual photo. It is to a photo that is in itself a link.

You need the URL to the actual photo. The URL filename needs to end in a recognized file type like JPG or GIF.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Blake

Post by Blake »

I know. I was showing what I was trying to upload from my computer. . . The photo is a JPEG

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Maximum dimensions; width: 80 pixels, height: 80 pixels, file size: 6.00 KiB.
Your picture looks to be about the right size (80x80 pixels), but is the file size under 6 kilobytes?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
Blake

Post by Blake »

It should be. I usually don't have an issue with this sort of thing, however I did have it happen recently on another forum. The admin thought it was odd. After looking at my photo he couldn't understand why it wasn't working either. Oh well. I guess never mind. I'll just go w/o an avatar, or try another photo.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Let me repeat, your flickr address is not a valid link.

You need a link that will display the picture -- and ONLY the picture -- in your browser. Your link is displaying the picture inside a Flickr page. Fix your link and it should work fine.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

Your file is too large. You can tell the size by right-clicking on it and choosing properties. It is 7.4Kb and must be 6.0Kb or smaller. You need to lower the resolution of the image with a tool like Irfanview or an avatar creation tool.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Blake

Post by Blake »

Jumping Frog wrote:Let me repeat, your flickr address is not a valid link.

You need a link that will display the picture -- and ONLY the picture -- in your browser. Your link is displaying the picture inside a Flickr page. Fix your link and it should work fine.
Now let me repeat myself. I know. I was not trying to upload from flickr. I was merely using it to show that the photo is 53 X 80 pixels.
Keith B wrote:Your file is too large. You can tell the size by right-clicking on it and choosing properties. It is 7.4Kb and must be 6.0Kb or smaller. You need to lower the resolution of the image with a tool like Irfanview or an avatar creation tool.
Thanks. I'll try that. For some reason I read 4.7Kb when I looked at the size lol.

Topic author
Blake

Post by Blake »

Figured it out thanks to Keith B! I don't know why I read 4.7 when I looked at the size. And after all that, I decide to go with another photo lol.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”