Universal remote for TV/DVR etc.

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Universal remote for TV/DVR etc.

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I need to get a universal remote to control our TV, DRV, etc. I'm going to do a little research but first I want to see if anyone has already done the work.

Thanks,
Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Universal remote for TV/DVR etc.

Post by mojo84 »

Logitech has several models depending on how many gadgets and how customizable you want.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I use the Logitech Harmony One. It is pricey, but it is truly universal, has a touch screen with icons, and even my grandkids can use it, and I have a fairly complicated home theatre system.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

We gave up on universal remotes a long time ago. Our most recent one would control up to 5 devices, but both of us were constantly using the wrong device, leading to much confusion, and the final straw was when my wife missed a play in a football game when all she was trying to do was turn the volume up. Every one we ever had seemed to work fine with one or two devices, and then become a chore to program for any more. We are still using the one that came with our cable TV box,. but it only gets used for the cable.

I may have to try the Logitech because it is a bit of a hassle to have 4 remote floating around (actually 7, but 1 is for lights, 1 is for the AC in the dog room and the other is for the Wii) and I would like to consolidate.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I really like our Logitech as I can program activities. That way, it makes the functions available for the appropriate devices needed for that activity. The programming can be done online and is pretty easy and intuitive. I've had mine for several years. The closest current model to what I have is the Harmony 650. http://mobile.logitech.com/en-us/produc ... 50?crid=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

FrogFan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by FrogFan »

I started using "JP1" remotes more than 10 years ago. To get the most out of them, you need to program them and there is a steep learning curve for that, but once you learn how to do it, you'll never use anything else. There is a very active user group where you can learn how. Here is a link to their forum. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

cajunautoxer

Post by cajunautoxer »

oohrah wrote:I use the Logitech Harmony One. It is pricey, but it is truly universal, has a touch screen with icons, and even my grandkids can use it, and I have a fairly complicated home theatre system.
+1

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

cajunautoxer wrote:
oohrah wrote:I use the Logitech Harmony One. It is pricey, but it is truly universal, has a touch screen with icons, and even my grandkids can use it, and I have a fairly complicated home theatre system.
+1

I have two of these in the house, up and down stairs. They have both been reprogrammed to support new satellite receivers, new DVD players and new TV's since I've had them. They have been flawless.

My wife was REALLY angry when I brought home a $250 remote, but quickly realized that she could totally control the video systems with a simple press of a button. And if things got screwed up, she could press the Help button and get things back in control.

Well worth the investment, you won't look back.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

Just for completeness, tapping the flexibility of a "JP1" remote involves a steep learning curve, as noted. This is a cost, for sure, but a "JP1" remote itself usually costs less than $15 and once you've programmed it it's just as functional as a Harmony remote (Some would say more functional. See the aforementioned site for details). Moreover, fiddling with these remotes can be quite addicting for those with time on their hands! YMMV, etc.

Oh, and mine have also achieved full "wife approval".

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Is JP1 a brand or type of remote?

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

JP1 remotes were originally developed and marketed under the "One for All" brand by UEIC. Radio Shack used to sell them as well under their own brand. Today, "JP1" refers to a class of remotes that are produced by a variety of manufacturers that you can communicate with using a computer and an inexpensive USB or parallel interface cable and standard software, which is available free. You can tell if you have a JP1 remote by opening the battery compartment. If there is a six-pin connector in the compartment, chances are it's a JP1 remote and can be programmed with the standard software and interface cable. JP1 refers to the notation (signifying "jumper 1"?) found in early remotes of this kind next to the six-pin connector. Over time, JP1 became a generic term for these types of remotes, even as communications protocols and interfaces changed. Today there are JP2, and JP3 remotes as well, which are "slight" variations on the original theme, but which are programmed in essentially the same way.

There is lots of good information on the forum I mentioned in case you're interested. I'm no expert, but there are lots of really smart people over there. I would warn you though that if you start on this path, you will likely become addicted!

I currently use an RCA RCRP05BR I bought from Amazon just before Christmas for about $13.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Someone dropped or stepped on my harmony and the screen no longer works. Seeing Charles' op made me start thinking about replacing it. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”