Need digital camera help

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Need digital camera help

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have a Canon EOS Rebel XTi digital camera. I need passport-size photos (2"X2") for classes and I've never used a digital camera for this. I can eventually get this size photo, either using specific software, or by editing in Fireworks 8. However, that will take a little more time than I would like, so I'm wondering if a printer specific for photos would have the capability to select the size of the photo. Or is there a way to set this in the camera?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chas.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

Charles,

I use an Epson PictureMate photo printer. I had to practice a little bit to get the pictures just the right size. (With my Konica camera, that is exactly 6 feet from the person.)

After I take all the photos, I take the memory card from the camera, insert it into the printer, select wallet size photos, quantity 2, and then walk away. It prints 2 photos on a 4X6 sheet. No software, no resizing, no editing.

They look good, and best of all, DPS has never rejected any of our photos.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I would go with ll's solution, I have a couple of digital cameras and supplied my own CHL picture when we renewed. My passport photo was accepted, while my wife's was not, it was returned partly because it was digital according to the letter.

Spend a little time figuring out the distances and the camera settings and you should be all set.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

jimd1981

Post by jimd1981 »

Charles,

Nice camera. llwatson has it right, proper framing and wallet-size printing is the win.

Your lens (and/and the size of the subject's head) determines the exact distance, but you should stand between 4 and 6 feet away from the subject, no zoom, neutral/bright lighting.
Make sure you photograph against a smooth non-reflective white background, with your lens at subject's eye/nose level. You'll want to use red-eye reduction on the flash (warn them about the "flashes" and if the subject wears glasses, have them tilt the head forward slightly to minimize glare). Auto mode on the EOS will do the right thing with regard to white balance, exposure, etc. A few practice shots and you'll have it down pat.

An Epson PictureMate printer (llwatson's dedicated 4x6 printer) and wallet size setting is the key to a "hands off" setup. Print right from the card. Note that Epson has some newer PictureMate printers that print a little quicker, but use different ink/paper.

Printer @ Amazon:

(No affiliation with Amazon, and, yes, llwatson took my CHL picture! :smile:)

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks for the help folks!

Chas.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

jimd1981 wrote:Charles,

Nice camera. llwatson has it right, proper framing and wallet-size printing is the win.

Your lens (and/and the size of the subject's head) determines the exact distance, but you should stand between 4 and 6 feet away from the subject, no zoom, neutral/bright lighting.
Make sure you photograph against a smooth non-reflective white background, with your lens at subject's eye/nose level. You'll want to use red-eye reduction on the flash (warn them about the "flashes" and if the subject wears glasses, have them tilt the head forward slightly to minimize glare). Auto mode on the EOS will do the right thing with regard to white balance, exposure, etc. A few practice shots and you'll have it down pat.

An Epson PictureMate printer (llwatson's dedicated 4x6 printer) and wallet size setting is the key to a "hands off" setup. Print right from the card. Note that Epson has some newer PictureMate printers that print a little quicker, but use different ink/paper.

Printer @ Amazon:

(No affiliation with Amazon, and, yes, llwatson took my CHL picture! :smile:)
If the room has decent lighting that EOS will do the job without flash.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”