How does one get rid of pop-unders.

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
dutchman
Posts in topic: 2

How does one get rid of pop-unders.

Post by dutchman »

NewsMax is one of my morning misinformation sources. It also delivers four or five darn popunders. It is no real problem, but it is annoying.

I recently started using Mozilla for browser and email. Cured most of my problems with popups and glitzs from Outlook and IE.

dutchman
It seems that the older I get, the better I used to be.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

Try this maybe:

To block pop-ups from plugins, open your Firefox 1.0 or 1.0.1 browser, type about:config in the address field. Right-click in the resulting config page somewhere and select New -> Interger. Type privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins in the resulting dialog, hit OK, type 2 in the next dialog and you're all set.

This pref can actually take three values:

* 0: open allowed
* 1: the opened windows are treated as popups, but they're allowed to open (we limit the number of these types of popups)
* 2: the window is a popup, block it

Might break some sites you need though. If so, just delete the key you created in about:config.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
dutchman
Posts in topic: 2

Pop-unders

Post by dutchman »

Pop-ups are no longer a problem. Pop-unders are the problem

I am on a POPline ISP and it is dead slow. Add in the extra with the pop-unders and I can wait forever.

My best bet is probably to not bother with NewsMax.

Dutchman
It seems that the older I get, the better I used to be.

Excaliber

Re:

Post by Excaliber »

gigag04 wrote:Try this maybe:

To block pop-ups from plugins, open your Firefox 1.0 or 1.0.1 browser, type about:config in the address field. Right-click in the resulting config page somewhere and select New -> Interger. Type privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins in the resulting dialog, hit OK, type 2 in the next dialog and you're all set.

This pref can actually take three values:

* 0: open allowed
* 1: the opened windows are treated as popups, but they're allowed to open (we limit the number of these types of popups)
* 2: the window is a popup, block it

Might break some sites you need though. If so, just delete the key you created in about:config.
A 4th value is needed: *4 ask before opening popup

This would make it similar to the best option for running Flash video.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Jim Beaux

Re: How does one get rid of pop-unders.

Post by Jim Beaux »

dutchman wrote:NewsMax is one of my morning misinformation sources. It also delivers four or five darn popunders. It is no real problem, but it is annoying.

I recently started using Mozilla for browser and email. Cured most of my problems with popups and glitzs from Outlook and IE.

dutchman
I dont have any problems with Newsmax - try this

On tool bar >tools>add-ons>extensions.
Look in upper right hand corner and in the "Search All Add-ons" type in "Noscript 2.6.9.9" & download then install ----then search for "AddBlock Plus 2.6.6" - download then install

There will be a learning curve with Noscript, but it is something all browsers should have for security.

Next
Again go to tool bar >tools>addons>Plug ins - set options for Java & Shockwave Flash to "ask to activate"

Feel free to pm me with questions.
Last edited by Jim Beaux on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

I use the Adblock Plus extension for Chrome and manage to miss most ads and pop ups and pop unders, including those that accompany Newsmax. There is a version for Firefox as well. If you decide to use it, be careful to install the correct extension, as there are imitators with very similar names that either don't work or are really malware in disguise. The real thing comes from adblockplus.org.

Bart

Post by Bart »

I block the offending sites by URL and IP address at the firewall. Problem solved.

P.S. Nice Zombie thread.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Try getting your news through RSS. It won't prevent pop-unders when you visit a site, but you'll at least be able to read all the headlines first.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Here is a useful link to address the issue in Firefox. Most of those unwanted pop ups/unders are addressed here but the marketing companies and the ISP's are making money with ads and they get better and faster.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/969218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A real protection may be impossible but at least it can be minimized with some efforts.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”