reformatting using windows 8

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 2

reformatting using windows 8

Post by 1s1k52 »

Ok so apparently i am not up on things anymore. With prior builds/reformats I always gutted my HDs and used an enclosure with another computer to partition and format a HD to put back into another computer to install an OS so it is only the 2 partitions. The main for the OS and secondary for data storage. Well with an effort of doing so and doing the partitions in GPT, Windows 8 still would not see the partitions. Using windows 8 I had to delete the 100 GB partition and click "new" this created about 3 additional smaller partitions. After reading a little bit I understand slightly now that the GPT places partitions at the front and rear of the drive for prevention of data corruption. I am waiting for the install to complete so I can see what exactly will be available when using windows explorer.

This of course after I got a message saying a media driver was missing. After some "googling" with no real answer I just decided to restart and it worked in the manner I listed above. Was there a way I could have done this more proficiently? In my experience when using the Windows 7 or 8 disk to partition the HD It would not allow for only those two partitions that is why I gut the HD and attempted to do it that way. This is the first time I have experienced it STILL forcing the additional smaller partitions.
(insert clever signature here)

bigity

Re: reformatting using windows 8

Post by bigity »

Yea that is typical these days. It should be a very small amount of space though that you lose, in comparison.

It's been a looong time since hard drive space was limited enough for this to really matter. I mean, with TB drives cheap and common (and 250GB+ being default), does anyone really care about 500 megs? With an SSD you might care a little more, but not by a huge amount. Also the recovery partition is actually useful these days :D

Bottom line, you did not do anything incorrectly. The GPT partitions are automatic, and so is the 300MB recovery partition.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

LOOK MAN NOT THE POINT! lol I am a tad OCD :) Not to mention I had originally did it in MBR so had to redo it. The space isn't that big of deal. I am not a fan of being able to see the recovering in explorer. I am having more love for windows 8. It is def a pain without touch screen though. I think I will always prefer Windows 7 though from their recent three OS.
(insert clever signature here)

bigity

Post by bigity »

Like in Windows explorer? Mine don't show up there, just the data partition.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skiprr »

And now we'll all, shortly, have to adapt to Windows 10. :???:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sugar land dave »

Nah, I'll just turn my dual-boot into a tri-boot. Win7, win8, win10. Course I'm keeping the desktop win 7 & linux.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”