Microsoft Hijacking

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1


Topic author
Sig Texas
Junior Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:37 pm

Microsoft Hijacking

Postby Sig Texas » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:10 am

I willingly "upgraded" to Windows 10 last year. By the time I figured out that I really didn't like it, I had already passed the 30 day option to roll back to Windows 7.
For the last three days Microsoft has had constant pop-ups on my wife's laptop. I had chosen the auto update option to hide the update and allow me to choose what updates to install.
Yesterday, there was a "Schedule the Windows Update" pop-up that could not be closed or deleted. 24 hours later the pop-up was still there, could not be closed or deleted.
I spent a couple of hours searching the internet to find a way to cancel the update. Microsoft had everything locked down and blocked, so, no access to any choices.
I let the update run. Wife will not be happy with 10.
I post this to warn everyone that MICROSOFT CAN AND WILL EVENTUALLY "UPDATE" YOUR WINDOWS 7 OS TO 10. I repeatedly read that this scenario could not happen, but I watched it happen. The laptop was hijacked by Microsoft.
This seems an invasion of privacy. Who the heck has ever read the entire User Agreement of a Windows program? I am sure that there is some clause in there that allows this kind of access to your computer.
I'm researching Linux for my next operating system "update".
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason.” - Mark Twain


cb1000rider
Senior Member
Posts: 2505
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby cb1000rider » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Sig, I totally buy what happened to you from your perspective.
I can tell you - as I manage a whole fleet of these things, that MS does not have the ability (unless auto-allowed one way or another) to push an update to unwilling Win7 laptops.

Like you, REALLY not a fan of Windows 8. Windows 10 is perhaps better, but I'm running a good 4 or 5 of these things at home and larger countless number at work and none of them have magically switched.

Sorry to hear that yours (wife's) got migrated without your consent.


NotRPB
Senior Member
Posts: 901
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 8:24 am

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby NotRPB » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:28 pm

Google >>> GWX Control Panel


jrs_diesel
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:12 am
Location: League City

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby jrs_diesel » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:29 pm

I got a bunch of pop-ups about 10 on our laptop too. I kept declining them. My searching led me to remove some of the windows 7 updates and set them to never re-install, and now the popups are gone and will stay gone.
J.R.

43 days from CHL class to plastic.


mayor
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:47 pm
Location: N. Fort Worth

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby mayor » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:39 pm

I like Windows 10 - took some time for me to get used to it, but once I did, I like it. Just think, the 21st century started 16 years ago. We're supposed to have holograms - even a holodeck - by now.

I didn't think you HAD to upgrade. the offer expires June of this year.

User avatar

Pariah3j
Senior Member
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:03 pm
Location: Webster

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby Pariah3j » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:47 pm

I'm all but sure the Win10 upgrade is a willing/opt in thing - not a forced update. The reason I say that is they have an expiration date for the free update. They aren't forcing you to upgrade, because once the free update is gone, they will be charging for it. And Windows 7's end of life probably isn't too far behind the end of the free upgrade.

My suspicion would be someone using the laptop hit the accept button on the Windows10 install pop up at one point trying to close it out.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson


stars200
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:15 pm
Location: McKinney Tx

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby stars200 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:04 pm

This was posted today about the upgrade. I for one like Windows 10, my 12 year old daughter installed it on her laptop when it came out and really likes it as well. However, we are a Windows OS household. Laptops, phones, Xbox.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-existi ... 10-update/

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts: 5616
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby ELB » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:41 am

Today Microsoft tried to force feed a Windows 10 upgrade on the computer where I work. We are not ready to do that yet because we need to make sure couple of third party vendor programs will work properly under 10. I left the computer running last night and when I came in this morning there was a blue screen (!) that said something along the lines like "Hi ELB! Upgrade to Windows 10!". The only button available was "next" and not even the three-fingered salute could escape it. So I went to next, and maybe another screen, and when I got to the License Agreement I declined. Then I got a message "Restoring previous version of Windows" and that took about 10 minutes. All appears normal now.

This is bovine leave-behinds. Microsoft apparently used the auto update function to force an upgrade, and it didn't really give an option to say "No I don't want Windows 10", you have to realize you can sidestep it by declining the license agreement. I don't recall any warning pop-ups yesterday or earlier saying this was scheduled. It just happened.

We will upgrade sometime this spring, but we don't need it crammed down our throats. grrrrrr..
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts: 16462
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby WildBill » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:45 am

ELB wrote:Today Microsoft tried to force feed a Windows 10 upgrade on the computer where I work. We are not ready to do that yet because we need to make sure couple of third party vendor programs will work properly under 10. I left the computer running last night and when I came in this morning there was a blue screen (!) that said something along the lines like "Hi ELB! Upgrade to Windows 10!". The only button available was "next" and not even the three-fingered salute could escape it. So I went to next, and maybe another screen, and when I got to the License Agreement I declined. Then I got a message "Restoring previous version of Windows" and that took about 10 minutes. All appears normal now.

This is bovine leave-behinds. Microsoft apparently used the auto update function to force an upgrade, and it didn't really give an option to say "No I don't want Windows 10", you have to realize you can sidestep it by declining the license agreement. I don't recall any warning pop-ups yesterday or earlier saying this was scheduled. It just happened.

We will upgrade sometime this spring, but we don't need it crammed down our throats. grrrrrr..

:thumbs2: Thanks for posting.
NRA Endowment Member


The Wall
Senior Member
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:59 am

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby The Wall » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:51 am

I have Windows Vista Home Premium. Still getting periodic updates. It allows me to select the ones I want. Mostly security updates. My old PC is still chugging along. I know it could die any minute.

User avatar

DocV
Senior Member
Posts: 891
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby DocV » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:03 pm

Image

Not that I just spent the better part of a day reinstalling a system that had been totally destroyed by an involuntary Windows 10 upgrade or anything... :grumble
NRA Lifetime Member
I was addicted to the hokey-pokey, but I turned myself around.


brhalltx
Senior Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:46 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby brhalltx » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:10 pm

If you have automatic updates turned on (on a Windows 7 or later non Enterprise version), you'll get Windows 10 whether you want it or not. They may turn that on for Enterprise versions too at some point.
The installer is probably already on your computer, and Microsoft is using your computer to distribute Windows 10 to others.
TSRA Life Member
NRA Patron Member
Houston IT and Database Development


casp625
Senior Member
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:24 pm

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby casp625 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:11 pm

Window changed 10 to a "recommended" update so it may try to auto install as you have experienced ELB.

User avatar

DocV
Senior Member
Posts: 891
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby DocV » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:15 pm

brhalltx wrote:If you have automatic updates turned on (on a Windows 7 or later non Enterprise version), you'll get Windows 10 whether you want it or not. They may turn that on for Enterprise versions too at some point.
The installer is probably already on your computer, and Microsoft is using your computer to distribute Windows 10 to others.

So Microsoft is running a Windows 10 bot net? :biggrinjester:
NRA Lifetime Member
I was addicted to the hokey-pokey, but I turned myself around.


brhalltx
Senior Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:46 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Postby brhalltx » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:52 pm

DocV wrote:So Microsoft is running a Windows 10 bot net? :biggrinjester:


Pretty much.
TSRA Life Member
NRA Patron Member
Houston IT and Database Development


Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest