Microsoft Hijacking

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Post by ELB »

DocV wrote:...
So Microsoft is running a Windows 10 bot net? :biggrinjester:
Yes, this thing is becoming malware.

I just came back into the office after doing some chores and there was a timer open on the screen counting down the minutes until Windows 10 upgrade starts. :totap:

It gave me options to "reschedule" the upgrade -- but only to next Thu at the latest... and no option whatsoever to actually "cancel" or say "no". :mad5

Now we are at war. I put off as late as possible to give me time to read the articles and figure out how to disinfect my computer. Not what I want to spend my time at work doing. :banghead: When I have a few minutes to do other stuff I want to be on TexasCHLforum, not some geek mechanic website!
USAF 1982-2005

brhalltx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by brhalltx »

ELB wrote:Now we are at war. I put off as late as possible to give me time to read the articles and figure out how to disinfect my computer. Not what I want to spend my time at work doing. :banghead: When I have a few minutes to do other stuff I want to be on TexasCHLforum, not some geek mechanic website!
Go to http://www.ultimateoutsider.com and get the GWX Control Panel. (Someone mentioned it above.) Use it to turn off all Windows 10 features, delete the Windows 10 installer, then turn off automatic updates.

bigity
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bigity »

Or just upgrade to 10, which is really far superior - granted, there are a few things you may want to disable.

:D
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

B23Msports
Posts in topic: 2

Post by B23Msports »

Do not install Windows Upadate 3035583 - that is the update that is for the upgrade to Win 10. You can hide the update if it is showing in your either optional or recommeded updates. If it has already made its way that it has been installed you need to go to "View Installed Updates" and remove it. I have seen it come back even if hidden, so you will have to watch for it. I suggest setting your updates to the setting that allows you to review and choose the ones you wish to install.

Do a search on "Windows Update 3035583" and you can find out alot more information.

Also let me add that a good friend who is more up on this than me is saying that MS is trying to sneak it back out with a different update number. Not sure on it though.

Hope this helps.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

NotRPB wrote:Google >>> GWX Control Panel
Yep, did this on mine.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

B23Msports wrote:Do not install Windows Upadate 3035583 - that is the update that is for the upgrade to Win 10. You can hide the update if it is showing in your either optional or recommeded updates. If it has already made its way that it has been installed you need to go to "View Installed Updates" and remove it. I have seen it come back even if hidden, so you will have to watch for it. I suggest setting your updates to the setting that allows you to review and choose the ones you wish to install.

Do a search on "Windows Update 3035583" and you can find out alot more information.

Also let me add that a good friend who is more up on this than me is saying that MS is trying to sneak it back out with a different update number. Not sure on it though.

Hope this helps.
3035583 is an optional update as opposed to an important update, no?

B23Msports

Post by B23Msports »

From what I have seen it can show up either optional or important/recommeded.

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

I haven't updated my laptop. I've also installed GWX Control panel and so far, so good.

As for upgrading to 10, I don't recommend it if you happen to be using Media Center. I went to a lot of trouble to install Media Center on a computer running Windows 10 and the next Windows 10 update uninstalled it without even asking. It was gone without a trace! I have Media Center on my laptop and I don't want to lose it just yet. I'm still getting used to Kodi.

Topic author
Sig Texas

Post by Sig Texas »

The Windows Automatic Update was enabled. I did decline the licensing agreement, but the pop-up was still there. In spite of my best efforts I couldn't do anything until I agreed to install it within 4 days. Wife is not having much trouble with Windows 10, so, I guess we'll just move on. It's inevitable anyway.
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason.” - Mark Twain

brhalltx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by brhalltx »

bigity wrote:Or just upgrade to 10, which is really far superior - granted, there are a few things you may want to disable.

You can't disable all of it (well, you could block with a firewall like NetLimiter); it'll still phone home to ~45 servers without your permission even if you turn off everything you can turn off in the user interface.

https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/835741

ELB

Post by ELB »

bigity wrote:Or just upgrade to 10, which is really far superior - granted, there are a few things you may want to disable.

Not if third party business software is not ready for it. And even if it is. the point is that Microsoft should not be invading a privately owned machine and taking it over. Hiding a windows 10 upgrade in an "update" procedure that is used to fix errors and deficiencies is pretty slimey, actually.
USAF 1982-2005

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Are these work computers not part of a domain ? Because if they are, your Admins should be disabling the upgrade via computer/group policy.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

bigity

Post by bigity »

Didn't think Enterprise licensed computers were getting the 'auto-update' stuff?

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Except that, after upgrading, my laptop can take upwards of 2 minutes to do things that it used to do in under 10 seconds.
NRA lifetime member

bigity

Post by bigity »

Not sure how that happens - every test I've seen shows a performance increase across the board. What kind of things are we talking about here?

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”