Microsoft Outlook question re: searching contacts

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Microsoft Outlook question re: searching contacts

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm using Office 360 (subscription) for the entire Office suit, including Outlook. I always have the email pane open and until recently, I could use the "Search People" feature to find and open contact cards. After a recent update, when I use this search, it does not open the contact card such that it can be edited. Rather, it opens some abbreviated card that not only cannot be edited, it doesn't show all of the notes on the contact card. If I go to the contacts pane and search, everything works fine.

I've searched everywhere, including Google and YouTube, but cannot find anything on this issue. Has anyone else had this problem and found a fix?

Thanks,
Chas.

strogg
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Microsoft Outlook question re: searching contacts

Post by strogg »

I have the latest version of Outlook on an Office 365 for Business subscription as well. When I search/open a contact, it opens it up just fine. Maybe you're seeing what is normally the popup bubble in the viewing pane? If you click the three dots under the name in the header, it should give you an option for "edit outlook contact". Does that help?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

strogg wrote:I have the latest version of Outlook on an Office 365 for Business subscription as well. When I search/open a contact, it opens it up just fine. Maybe you're seeing what is normally the popup bubble in the viewing pane? If you click the three dots under the name in the header, it should give you an option for "edit outlook contact". Does that help?
I can click "Edit Contact" to open the contact card, but that has not been necessary previously.

Chas.

strogg

Post by strogg »

Oh ok, I get it now. I can see why you're aggravated. If you do a search in the people in the to-do bar or the little hoverbox over the button to switch to contact view, you can't double click on it anymore. I can't find an option in Outlook to change that either. So weird. Although I'm able to open the contact for edit via double clicking if I switch to the contacts view and search for it that way. Extra click to search, I know, but that's what I've been used to doing.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

strogg wrote:Oh ok, I get it now. I can see why you're aggravated. If you do a search in the people in the to-do bar or the little hoverbox over the button to switch to contact view, you can't double click on it anymore. I can't find an option in Outlook to change that either. So weird. Although I'm able to open the contact for edit via double clicking if I switch to the contacts view and search for it that way. Extra click to search, I know, but that's what I've been used to doing.
I've looked at every option available and I've done a Google and YouTube search. I can't find anything.

Chas.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Charles - are these locally saved contacts or global address book users ?

For my company's O365 email, we have an exchange server with a global address list that is being pushed out by the server - these contacts can't be edited because they are maintained by Active Directory. The edit button does not appear next to the names in the global address list.

However, I am still able to click on the name after searching for it 'search people' and then there is an option to 'Edit' if it is a locally saved contact. Since this option seems to be missing or not working correctly, you could try repairing Office 365.

Open up Control Panel - and go to 'Uninstall a program'/'Programs and Features' - Click on Office 365 to highlight it, and click on 'Change' at the top. Try the option 'Online Repair' - this should redownload all of the Office files and reinstall/repair your office programs.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Another option appears to be to click on the 'people' icon/tab at the bottom next to Mail and Calander. https://www.howtogeek.com/173144/how-to ... look-2013/

This appears to bring you directly to your contacts so you can search and edit them from that window pane.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Pariah3j wrote:Charles - are these locally saved contacts or global address book users ?

For my company's O365 email, we have an exchange server with a global address list that is being pushed out by the server - these contacts can't be edited because they are maintained by Active Directory. The edit button does not appear next to the names in the global address list.

However, I am still able to click on the name after searching for it 'search people' and then there is an option to 'Edit' if it is a locally saved contact. Since this option seems to be missing or not working correctly, you could try repairing Office 365.

Open up Control Panel - and go to 'Uninstall a program'/'Programs and Features' - Click on Office 365 to highlight it, and click on 'Change' at the top. Try the option 'Online Repair' - this should redownload all of the Office files and reinstall/repair your office programs.
The contacts are local. I can get to the contact directly by going to the contact tab, or I can edit the contact from the email tab by clicking the "edit" option. However, until recently, this was not required to open the contact that is displayed after a search. More importantly, the shorthand version that does appear as a result of a search does not show all of the information in the notes section unless it is very short.

Chas.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by powerboatr »

charles when i updated my 365 last month, it did a weird thing in outlook, as it would only open in the problem solving mode vice being able to open it with the actual program.
After a few hours on phone with Microsoft, they determined the last update may have not downloaded completely. Anything could have interrupted this down load. It also effect excell. I could open an excell document, by clicking on it in my documents. But the icon to open the program was inop
the solution was microsoft entered my machine and dumped the whole suite, and then i reloaded it. Everything worked great after that, except i lost all my contacts. so if you go that route, save your contacts first.
i can click the three dots in the contacts name to get the rest of the card, but not like it was before the download.
not sure if it helps, but your not alone with issues from the latest 365 update.
also if you select the address book icon below the search icon, it will open the address book and then if you double click a person it shows the whole contact info
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

EastTexasRancher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by EastTexasRancher »

Try completely powering down your p.c. Pull the power cord in fact. Re-start, let the machine boot all the way up before starting outlook. This worked for me when I had a very similar issue.

Good luck.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”