Alternative to static IP address?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Alternative to static IP address?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This is a ham radio repeater linking problem. I have two Yaesu DR-2X repeaters that are capable of Internet linking to other DR-2X repeaters via the Internet. There are several other of the same repeaters in Texas that would like to be able to link their repeaters. (Not that it matters, but this linking is not full-time. It is user-activated for a limited time.) The software that handles the linking requires a static IP address for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, it requires numerical numbers which means we can't use DYNDNS type services.

Is there an alternative that uses numerical IP addresses? BTW, static IP address are too costly for most of the clubs because their Internet providers either require a business account, a one-time fee of $500, or a grossly exorbitant monthly fee for Internet service.

Chas.

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Alternative to static IP address?

Post by FastCarry »

No not really. DNS probably wouldnt even work since you would need to either provide your own public DNS server, which would need a static IP, or pay for DNS services. Then, once your dynamic IP changes, you would need to update the DNS servers and wait for propagation.

Im not sure there is an easy way around this one.

HD76
Posts in topic: 2

Post by HD76 »

Charles,

I am a bit of a noob still on HAM radio, but I am an IT professional. I remember reading that HAM radio had a dedicated IPv4 address block. I looked it up, and 44.0.0.0/9 is dedicated to HAM radio, and it is controlled by AMPRnet. Will you be using Allstar to link the repeaters? If so it is accessible through AMPRnet. You could look at requesting an a single IP allocation, and setting up a gateway that will run over your Internet connection.

https://wiki.ampr.org/wiki/Services
https://portal.ampr.org/

If you would like assistance in trying to figure this out, and get it working, I would be happy to volunteer some time to assist, and possibly learn more about ham radio repeater linking.

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

I've been out of IT for several years and I'm rusty, but maybe somebody else here can pitch in with better info.
There is a thing called "Virtual Static IP." The one I used years ago was a for profit service. A quick google search found a site that charges a little more than $8.00/month. There may be better alternatives. Basically, you install a piece of software on a server on your network that continually sends an updated IP to the service. The service gives you a static IP on their site that redirects traffic to whatever your present IP is.
Again, it's been years and I'm rusty, but maybe you can find a white knight with a static IP who would be willing to host a similar service. Find a Good tech. Check with whoever runs the NRA website. That should be a knowledgeable individual. I'd be glad to help but again, it's been a while.
Let me know if you can't find a good tech, and I'll see what I can find out. I maybe can call in some old favors from some friends in the business.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Another option might be to setup a VPN, additional hardware maybe required if your existing gear doesn't support it. The problem with that is you will be introducing additional latency into the system.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

G.A. Heath wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:17 pm Another option might be to setup a VPN, additional hardware maybe required if your existing gear doesn't support it. The problem with that is you will be introducing additional latency into the system.
That would require a computer at the repeater site and that would be problematic due to the heat. Also, can repeaters in different cities be part of the same VPN?

Chas.

seph

Post by seph »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:33 pm
G.A. Heath wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:17 pm Another option might be to setup a VPN, additional hardware maybe required if your existing gear doesn't support it. The problem with that is you will be introducing additional latency into the system.
That would require a computer at the repeater site and that would be problematic due to the heat. Also, can repeaters in different cities be part of the same VPN?

Chas.
Physical location does not matter for the VPN, so the sites could be anywhere in the world. As to needing a computer at each location, there are better options. A single board computer like a Raspberry PI or a router with VPN client capibilities built in could be used instead of a computer.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I would think so, but I would suggest contacting yaesu to find out. If you want to get in touch with yaesu, it can be a pain but I do have an email address for someone in customer service. Some old wifi routers used to act as a vpn gateway, that or a raspberry pi might be an option.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

I'm trying to find out if you can assign an IPV6 persistent public address without the provider helping. Is IPV6 an option?
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Mr. Cotton, check out this website. https://portal.ampr.org/

All IP addresses in the 44.xxx.xxx.xxx range are reserved for ham radio operators. This organization is the one that administers those addresses. I don't know if there is a fee, but this just might solve your problem.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Lynyrd wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:13 pm Mr. Cotton, check out this website. https://portal.ampr.org/

All IP addresses in the 44.xxx.xxx.xxx range are reserved for ham radio operators. This organization is the one that administers those addresses. I don't know if there is a fee, but this just might solve your problem.
It appears that this service will give you an IP block, but the last segment ends with a slash/number. (Rx. 44.xxx.xxx.xxx/28). The repeater software will not accept the slash format. It must be numbers. That's a shame, because this would be good.

Thanks for trying,
Chas.

DocV

Post by DocV »

The slash indicates a network range of several IPs. A /28 would be 16 IPs. 44.x.x.0 - 4.x.x.x.15.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

DocV wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:15 pm The slash indicates a network range of several IPs. A /28 would be 16 IPs. 44.x.x.0 - 4.x.x.x.15.
That's a game-changer. I'm going to apply for an IP block.

Thanks,
Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

seph wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:42 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:33 pm

Chas.
Physical location does not matter for the VPN, so the sites could be anywhere in the world. As to needing a computer at each location, there are better options. A single board computer like a Raspberry PI or a router with VPN client capibilities built in could be used instead of a computer.
I understand VPNs from a high level. It's a server/client configuration that creates a tunnel with encryption and allows computers from anywhere to connect to a LAN. The example often given is a company with offices throughout the U.S. and even foreign countries. (I know that individuals use VPN subscriptions both for security and anonymity when surfing the web.) That's the extent of my knowledge. (As I noted, the repeater software will only accept numerical IP addresses,)

Here is an example of the ham radio linking system I need. Let's say we have a repeater in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin. I'll call our VPN the Texas Repeater System. I presume that once every repeater logs into the same VPN account (Microsoft, Cisco, OpenVPN, etc.), each repeater could be accessed using a LAN IP address something like 192.168.10.15. If I am correct, this will work. So the big question is, am I correct about?

Thanks guys,
Chas.

DocV

Post by DocV »

I would start on the ampr wiki. https://wiki.ampr.org/wiki/Main_Page
That explains the basics. You would not, necessarily, need to use a commercial VPN. You do, however, need some way to get traffic to your gear. That would entail a router. Routers can be built from old pcs or a small system such as raspberry pi.
There is already a 44 net in Texas. See, https://portal.ampr.org/networks.php?a=region&id=196.
I expect someone there can fill you in on the details.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”