30.06 Map Mobile App?

Links to various government agengices, resources & statutes, and non-governmental CHL-related links

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MWHoward
Posts in topic: 4

Re: 30.06 Map Mobile App?

Post by MWHoward »

Russell wrote:Hi all,

We do have both a map and a mobile app in the works - just takes time to get this stuff out since no one is getting paid to work on it :mrgreen:

Since the map has been requested several times now I'll put it at the top of my list to finish - it is about 95% done. Just down to color schemes needing to be chosen and the information laid out in an easily readable way for the info window that pops up when you click on a pushpin.
How's the app coming? With the holidays coming up, I sure would like to know where I need to wait in the car.

stevem
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stevem »

Even better, have the app sound an alert and popup window when you approach an anti-gun establishment so you know to take your business elsewhere.

bullitt6996

Post by bullitt6996 »

stevem wrote:Even better, have the app sound an alert and popup window when you approach an anti-gun establishment so you know to take your business elsewhere.
This is an even better idea. With the right programming you can link the app to navigation for food, shopping, etc. An icon at an area known not to be gun friendly would keep people from having to drive somewhere to find out they don't want to patronize a place.

paxton25

Post by paxton25 »

that's an awesome idea, I would even pay for that!

MrEsco
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MrEsco »

Have you thought about Posting the APP proposal on something like the Indiegogo website?
I am sure you could get enough backers in Texas to fund some professional app development.

maybe even get enough funding nationally to expand it to actively track Restricted areas state by state and alert you during travel.
for instance when you download the APP you set your home state so that when you cross state lines you get a pop up that will give you a general summary of the new states carry laws.
and like others mentioned, have it alert you when entering a state that does not have reciprocity with your CHL or an area/business that does not allow concealed carry.
with proper funding the app could be fantastic and it would definitely sell.

maybe even get NRA backing by allowing them to advertise in the APP :mrgreen:

just some thoughts....

Wes

Post by Wes »

Id contribute for sure, a native app would be really nice to have eventhough I don't run in to the problem often. Although, looking at an iOS app tutorial for maps it doesn't look like it would take much, depends on how you make the database accessible. This one uses an api call for example and looks quite doable (it's old, I know, but it's just an example) http://www.raywenderlich.com/21365/intr ... 6-tutorial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

MrEsco

Post by MrEsco »

well that still looks complicated to me :lol:

I also would gladly contribute what I could, the app would make things much more convenient.
and honestly I would pay monthly for it, that monthly income would definitely help with keeping it updated.
I already pay for Pandora and this would be much more useful.

I just hate it when I am out with the wife and I spot the 30.06 sign and have to go back to the jeep and lock my gun away.
also, I hate to just wait in the parking lot while she does her thing.. she takes forever if I am not there to complain and add a sense of urgency ;-)
It would just be so nice to be able to pull up an app and know beforehand if I can have it or not, or just avoid the place all together.
hell, I might even be able to talk my wife out of going places to begin with just by ranting about how Stupid they are for not allowing concealed carry.
she just loves my repetitive rants :lol:

anyways, I will keep waiting patiently :mrgreen:

Topic author
MWHoward
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MWHoward »

I agree that an app like this would be worth money. How about that indiegogo thing?

SoloXCRacer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SoloXCRacer »

Russell wrote:Hi all,

Things are pretty busy right now, so I would not have the time to properly project manage the development of a mobile app for the site. In a few months when my time is hopefully a bit more available, I will set up a Kickstarter or something similar for funding the app development. Just browsing the posted jobs for this category at freelancer.com I suspect it'll end up being abotu $1500-$2000 for an Android app (I have an Android, so that comes first! :mrgreen:), and that may or may not cover the costs of porting to an iOS app.

I appreciate the desire to have a mobile app that makes browsing easier on the phone, I want it too! It's just going to take some time unless someone wants to cough up the cost right now and also project manage it :thumbs2:
Hi Russell,

Is there a public web API available to gain access to the site data? I'd like to give this a shot. I'm a professional mobile developer and am looking for a project to work on while I'm in "The Waiting Room". :)

SoloXCRacer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SoloXCRacer »

Understood. I have a proof of concept locally that's rough, but need a data source. If your API ever becomes public, I'd be willing to pursue this further. Thanks and hope you get this going!

arthurgarzajr

Post by arthurgarzajr »

I am the iPhone developer working with Russell on creating v1.0 of the Texas3006 app. I know a couple of people said they'd be willing to test the app. Does anybody have an iPhone and would still be willing to test the app, prerelease?

Let me know

-Arthur

Return to “Government resources & CHL-related links”