What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Register to Vote!!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If you aren't registered to vote in Texas, please do so! Here is a link to the Texas Secretary of State's voter registration page. To my knowledge, you cannot register online; you have to complete the form online, print it, then mail it to the appropriate address your your county of residence. To find the proper address, go to the County Voter Registration Officials list.

If you are already registered but have moved, you can change your address online at the Voter Registration Change page at the Secretary of State's website. (I can't link to the actual page, so just click on the "Continue" button at the bottom of the page.

I think it's too late to register to vote in the March primary, but don't be discouraged. We still have this little Presidential election coming up also. :thumbs2: We also have some very important state races coming up. I know, I know, it's in November, but go ahead and break the Procrastinator's Oath and register now.

Thanks,
Chas.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Register to Vote!!

Post by The Annoyed Man »

We got my 18 yr old son registered just in time to vote in the primary. Suffice it to say that he won't be casting a vote for one of the Democrats. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

It is too late for the primary. You have to register 30 days before the election.

The process is a lot more cumbersome now than it used to be. County officials have to run your information through a state database. That database is so slow that counties have been paying people overtime to run information all night.

The database also contains errors and omissions. Someone I know was told she couldn't change her address because her new address (old store converted to a residence) was not in the database. It took quite a bit of back-and-forth to get the error corrected.

- Jim

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

We got my son registered in early January, right after his birthday, so he's OK for the primary.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Our daughter turned 18 Christmas day, and her registration card arrived in the mail shortly afterwards (you can apply up to 60 (?) days before turning 18, so she was ready.

locknload

Post by locknload »

Feb. 4th was the last day to register for this upcoming election, however, get 'em in for the big one. :cool:

I've worked for Cheryl Johnson, the Tax Assessor/Collector for Galveston Co., who is also in charge of Voter Registration, for a time to help her get the office back in order, after the previous bunch left. Last year, they sent out hundreds of thousands of Voter's Cards, and tens of thousands came back, undeliverable for one reason or another. Some of the problems were with the Post Office not delivering them, and just saying that the person wasn't there, when they really were there. Most of the problems were with the State Data Base, which is woefully inadequate and out of date. :???: The Dems had a Statewide registration drive, like they're doing right now, in which they registered so many voters that were illegals or ex-cons, without telling them that they wouldn't be able to vote. Then, when they didn't get their Voter's Cards, they raised a ruckus. Also, there were so many that were using fake names, yet, coming from the same address. Some of those were prosecuted, and it was found out that they were Dems. :shock: Some tried to blame Cheryl for the problems, but her office is the best run of any of the County offices. She's a great boss, and I thoroughly enjoyed working there to help her get over the huge influx of mail that we sorted through and sent out.

The dubious efforts by the Dems made it really difficult for us, when we had the election, as those, who had filled out the cards, showed up to vote. Then, we had to spend so much time calling in their names, to verify their voting status, that it made the lines go so much slower. I was the Judge of that election, so I finally told the complainers that, if they wanted things to go faster, they could just sign my paperwork and start working, because we could use their help. That shut them up.

That election was particularly stressful, as some Dems in our Precinct had tried to undermine Republican Judge(s) the previous election and reported the Judge(s) to the Elections Commission for the omissions of the Dems, who were working for them. Then, they threatened to have Republican Judges put in jail at the election that I worked. At one time, I had 6 State and Federal observers in my voting area. It was so stressful that I almost walked out. The Dems really made a mess for us, and now we are crying for Republican workers to work this election, but folks don't want to be targets.

So, if we have any brave Republicans, who will be willing to be Clerks or Judges this time, please, pm me. We need you! :thumbs2:

The work is easy, and we do have fun. There is a real sense that you have done something of value, after it's all over. Early Voting starts 2/19 and goes to 2/29. 0800-1700 on 19-22. 0700-1900 on 23rd. 1300-1800 on 24th. and 0700-1900 on 25th through 29th. We have an all day training on 2/15. You will be paid about $7 or $8/hour. I'm not certain of the pay, but basically, I look at it as doing my civic duty to give back what I'm able to do.

BTW - This is one of the places that you cannot carry. If you leave it in your car, park outside the "No Electioneering" zone just to be safe. I don't think there is a problem with it being in your car within that area, as no one ever checks. However, my position is to always be way far within the law. ;-)

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Possibly dumb question which entails me not wanting to look through oodles of info due to my being busy/lazy :shock:

I'm registered as nonpartisan/independant/wahtever they call it here.
Am I left out of the primary, or can I choose a ballot?
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

You can vote in either primary.

However, you should not vote in a primary if you have signed a nominating petition for a candidate in a different party. It's no skin off your back, but it invalidates your signature on the petition.

- Jim

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

locknload wrote: Also, there were so many that were using fake names, yet, coming from the same address. Some of those were prosecuted, and it was found out that they were Dems. :shock:
Was there ever any doubt? These are the people who get cards in their dogs name. I really hate libs, like a deep down kind of abhorrance.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

seamusTX wrote:You can vote in either primary.

However, you should not vote in a primary if you have signed a nominating petition for a candidate in a different party. It's no skin off your back, but it invalidates your signature on the petition.

- Jim
I guess when I endorsed (and signed the nomination papers) every single Republican Judge running in Harris County, that kinda handcuffed me I suppose... :lol:

317 years of combined judicial experience, as opposed to zero, zip, nada for the democrats running for any of those benches...

Seems like a slam dunk to me...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I just want to take a moment to bring up a few items that will be of great import over the coming weeks.

• First, if you are not yet registered to vote, the absolute deadline to register to be eligible to vote in the November 4 General Election is October 6. This can be either the postmark date or the date the application is received in the office of the voter registrar. But don't wait that long...and don't let anyone you know who needs to register wait that long.

Voter registration becomes effective 30 days after it is submitted (and accepted) by the county voter registrar. The county office will then put your name on the voter registration list, generate your voter certificate and mail it to you. So cut yourself some slack and get it done by September 15. Early voting for the November election begins October 20, and if you plan to vote early your registration must be in effect by that date.

• Second, are you sure you're really registered to vote? For example, have you moved since you last received your voter registration card? Some folks think that if they move within the same county they don't have to take any action. Not true! If you moved within the same county where you are currently registered, you must file the new address information in writing with your voter registrar OR you may submit the "in county" change online. The last day to make a change of address that will be effective for the November 4, 2008 election is the same as a new registration: October 6, 2008. If you miss this deadline, you may return to your old precinct to vote, but you will not be able to vote in the precinct where you now live.

You can confirm your current voter registration status at Online Voter Central, on the Texas Secretary of State's Website. You can search by your Texas Driver's License number, your Voter Unique Identifier (VUID) which appears on your voter registration card, or by last name and first name. The latter might be less than helpful if you have a common name.

• Third, new voter registration cards are mailed out every two years. If you did not receive a new orange and white card in early 2008, it could mean that you have moved without updating or that there is some other problem with your registration. Check your registration status at Online Voter Central and take any action required to bring your registration current.

• Last, don't forget October 20. Any registered voter may vote early by personal appearance (in person). Early voting by personal appearance for the November 4, 2008 General Election begins on October 20, 2008 and ends on October 31, 2008. You may go to any early voting location that is convenient, as long as it is in your county of registration.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “Federal”