Good intentions v. good tactics

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Good intentions v. good tactics

Post by baldeagle »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The Country has changed and it isn't going back. People can either sit out and whine, or they can get involved and make the best of a bad situation.

Chas.
Then I chose to sit out. Let the country rot, and let our descendants mourn the loss of freedom. Maybe in a few centuries another group will rise up, as our forefathers did, and build a country based on freedom. If you ask me to vote for a McCain, McConnell or Boehner, then I chose to sit out.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VMI77 »

baldeagle wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:The Country has changed and it isn't going back. People can either sit out and whine, or they can get involved and make the best of a bad situation.

Chas.
Then I chose to sit out. Let the country rot, and let our descendants mourn the loss of freedom. Maybe in a few centuries another group will rise up, as our forefathers did, and build a country based on freedom. If you ask me to vote for a McCain, McConnell or Boehner, then I chose to sit out.
Swear allegiance to the flag
Whatever flag they offer
Never hint at what you really feel
Teach the children quietly
For some day sons and daughters
Will rise up and fight while we stood still
Mike and the Mechanics, Silent Running
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

This article perfectly sums up what's going on, and the GOP ignores the signs at their peril. The party is on the precipice of collapsing. It won't take much to tip the balance. http://www.americanthinker.com/articles ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then, yes, at the national level you will have Democrats for a LONG time. If that's what you want, push a Christie, Romney or Bush and tell conservatives to take their medicine. It ain't happenin. Not this time. Not after the betrayal of 2014.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

92f-fan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 92f-fan »

Quote Charles ""People who get their information from the Internet and news media, with no insider information, can only guess and surmise. Again, I mean no disrespect but that's the hard cold truth.""

Charles -We met a few years back at a talk at Bass pro Dallas and I appreciated the talk and the website and respect you however: You should know that all kinds of internet hucksters use the " we'll I cant tell you you will have to believe me line" or a variant.

Back in the day the news media had standards and editors and could be more respected and thats gone away with the 24x7 news cycle. But to get through to me Ill need more than " you weren't behind the curtain so you will never understand". While it may be true, for me and other logical thoughtful people its discounted as baseless, Its also condescending and reminiscent of so much of the net these days. It leaves me with no one to believe. Still guessing and surmising. Maybe its just the word choice and not the intent but thats what it said to me.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 7

Post by anygunanywhere »

baldeagle wrote:This article perfectly sums up what's going on, and the GOP ignores the signs at their peril. The party is on the precipice of collapsing. It won't take much to tip the balance. http://www.americanthinker.com/articles ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then, yes, at the national level you will have Democrats for a LONG time. If that's what you want, push a Christie, Romney or Bush and tell conservatives to take their medicine. It ain't happenin. Not this time. Not after the betrayal of 2014.
Bravo.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

baldeagle wrote:This article perfectly sums up what's going on, and the GOP ignores the signs at their peril. The party is on the precipice of collapsing. It won't take much to tip the balance. http://www.americanthinker.com/articles ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In 2013 he wrote, "The Palin/Bush pairing (which works either way) would see the rifts in the GOP healed over, a united team with massive resources in finance, manpower and credibility, and a very real path to Electoral College victory -- an historic compromise for the restoration of a conservative America."

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles ... hance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like he likes Bush.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

G26ster wrote:

In 2013 he wrote, "The Palin/Bush pairing (which works either way) would see the rifts in the GOP healed over, a united team with massive resources in finance, manpower and credibility, and a very real path to Electoral College victory -- an historic compromise for the restoration of a conservative America."

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles ... hance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's not entirely true. What he said was:
I [meaning Joseph Sheppard, the author] wrote [previously] that possibly the GOP's best and only chance would be a Palin/Bush (in any combination) ticket, as that would be the only way to heal the breech and keep the party together. A true conservative Virginia gentleman and strong Palin supporter advised that he is against that "because it is the only thing that will save the GOP, and it is beyond saving."

Such is the plight the Establishment has visited on the party. They will pay the price if it goes the way of the Whigs. Perhaps the old gentleman is right.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

baldeagle wrote:

Chas.
You can't vote yourself freedom.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
G26ster wrote:

That's not entirely true. What he said was:
I [meaning Joseph Sheppard, the author] wrote [previously] that possibly the GOP's best and only chance would be a Palin/Bush (in any combination) ticket, as that would be the only way to heal the breech and keep the party together. A true conservative Virginia gentleman and strong Palin supporter advised that he is against that "because it is the only thing that will save the GOP, and it is beyond saving."

Such is the plight the Establishment has visited on the party. They will pay the price if it goes the way of the Whigs. Perhaps the old gentleman is right.
The author seems to like the words, "possibly," and "perhaps." Not exactly definitive statements IMHO. It also appears the "old Virginia gentleman" doesn't want to save the GOP by any means, and from what I've read lately here, many agree with him.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

g26ster, I would love to see the republican party saved and healed. I just don't believe that the party elites are willing to do their part in healing it.

One thing I've heard from a lot of people - even people I like and respect very much - is that the conservative wing of the party is exhibiting a "my way or the highway" mentality. Did it ever occur to anyone that that the elites started this, and that the conservative grassroots are reacting.

One thing I know for sure is that the elites do not respect the grassroots, but they will say anything to get their votes. I no longer include myself in the republican grassroots because I have had enough and have renounced the party; but I remember what it felt like to be dismissed that way. If the best that the republican party can do is the sort of soft-and-squishy republican acceptable to the democrat-controlled northeast, then there is no way for the party to draw a large enough distinction between itself, and whomever the democrats are running. Without being able to draw that distinction, giving voters a clear choice between vocal conservatism on the republican side, and "trying to disguise myself as a conservative" lefties on the democrat side, then republicans simply cannot win.

It's a shame too, because all that the elites would have to do is say "OK, we'll try it once your way" to the party's conservatives.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

chuck j
Posts in topic: 4

Post by chuck j »

I will vote for neither party , I haven't voted in the last three elections because there is not even a lesser of the two evils now . Watching the two party's is like watching a Harlem Globe trotters game , you know in advance who will win . Republicans don't even know who they are themselves so I'v given up trying to make sense out of them . Our complacency and lack of vigilance while struggling to be politically correct has cost us too much time so as Charles said ..........the American public is reaping our reward for falling asleep at the wheel . I would only vote for an independent .

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

The Annoyed Man wrote: It's a shame too, because all that the elites would have to do is say "OK, we'll try it once your way" to the party's conservatives.
TAM, I think they did in '64 when Barry Goldwater lost the 1964 presidential election to Lyndon Johnson by "one of the largest landslides in history." And back then, the country was far more conservative than it is now.

I still would like to know where the conservatives were in the latest election for Speaker. Only 25 votes against? If conservatives wanted a change, they had a great chance. Seems to me almost everyone was protecting - themselves. The opportunity to send a strong message was lost.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

G26ster wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: It's a shame too, because all that the elites would have to do is say "OK, we'll try it once your way" to the party's conservatives.
TAM, I think they did in '64 when Barry Goldwater lost the 1964 presidential election to Lyndon Johnson by "one of the largest landslides in history." And back then, the country was far more conservative than it is now.

I still would like to know where the conservatives were in the latest election for Speaker. Only 25 votes against? If conservatives wanted a change, they had a great chance. Seems to me almost everyone was protecting - themselves. The opportunity to send a strong message was lost.
They didn't want to lose their positions of power. Power means everything in DC.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Someone made a statement to the effect that the news media used to be more honest, etc. I severely disagree. I've said this before, but Walter Cronkite comes to mind INSTANTLY when I hear that sort of thing. He was one of the main reasons why the American populace was convinced that the war in Vietnam was lost after Tet '68 when in reality, the Viet Cong were all but destroyed as a cohesive fighting force. And that is merely one example of the perfidy of the old media. They are and have been, by and large, a bunch of lying snakes, all the way back to William Randolph Hurst and his yellow journalism...and they are, by and large, more tied in with the increasingly nanny-state authoritarian establishment than ever. Just to keep this firearms related, who constantly bangs the drum for gun control, makes firearms owners look evil, vilifies the NRA, and scares the non-firearms owning public with thoughts that they are all in non-stop danger of being gunned down with "assault weapons"? The mass media machine, that's who. I trust any of them as far as I can pick 'em up and toss 'em, as my grandpa used to say.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

anygunanywhere wrote:
G26ster wrote:

They didn't want to lose their positions of power. Power means everything in DC.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." - Lord Acton

However, there are a heck of a lot more conservatives in congress who are not in positions of power. Where were their votes? And what does that say about the people whose views we agree with now when they are not in power, when we elect them to positions of power?

Return to “Federal”