It's Time for National Reciprocity

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 2

Re: It's Time for National Reciprocity

Post by ninjabread »

If I recall correctly, carry under LEOSA is in accordance with LTC rules not LEO rules. If so, the simple solution seems like amending LEOSA to include LTC, further increasing safety.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lynyrd »

Rep. Richard Hudson, North Carolina's 8th Congressional district, wrote a letter that was published here

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/letters/a ... d-straight

complaining about the false press reports on his bill (H.R. 38) regarding national reciprocity. I found it interesting and worth the read.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

ninjabread wrote:If I recall correctly, carry under LEOSA is in accordance with LTC rules not LEO rules. If so, the simple solution seems like amending LEOSA to include LTC, further increasing safety.
It's not really, LEOSA says you must carry a weapon that you are qualified with, and that you may carry it only concealed. Private property owners who are allowed by state law to bar firearms carry may bar LEOSA carry the same way. However, Texas law extends Texas LEO privileges to out of state and Federal LEO above what LEOSA requires. It is a complex interplay between state and federal law as will be any federally enforced reciprocity law.

A few questions on Nationwide Reciprocity come to mind...

- Will a non-resident permit be granted reciprocity to a resident? ex. New York city resident gets a Florida license?

- How about a Vermont resident in New York? Since there's no license in Vermont, can he use a Florida or is he OOL?

- For states that issue non-resident licenses, will they still be required to accept your home, or other state license? If so, will it be valid for GFSZA carry?

- Will states stop issuing non-res licenses? (what about Vermont?)

-
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WTR »

My non resident TX CHL is no good in CO.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

ScottDLS wrote:
ninjabread wrote:If I recall correctly, carry under LEOSA is in accordance with LTC rules not LEO rules. If so, the simple solution seems like amending LEOSA to include LTC, further increasing safety.
- For states that issue non-resident licenses, will they still be required to accept your home, or other state license? If so, will it be valid for GFSZA carry?
-

I sure hope that it will be valid for GFSZA carry.

dlh

Post by dlh »

Trump moved quickly on immigration and banking deregulation by using executive orders. Where are "our" (gun-rights) executive orders?

I understand National Conceal Carry and Gun Free-School Zone Act Amendments/Repeal will require legislation but seems Trump could do something, at least symbolically, for those folks who voted him into office.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

dlh wrote:Trump moved quickly on immigration and banking deregulation by using executive orders. Where are "our" (gun-rights) executive orders?

I understand National Conceal Carry and Gun Free-School Zone Act Amendments/Repeal will require legislation but seems Trump could do something, at least symbolically, for those folks who voted him into office.
It sounds like he's in favor of cops seizing your guns without having to charge you with a crime.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-t ... SKBN15M2BU
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

ninjabread wrote:
dlh wrote:Trump moved quickly on immigration and banking deregulation by using executive orders. Where are "our" (gun-rights) executive orders?

It sounds like he's in favor of cops seizing your guns without having to charge you with a crime.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-t ... SKBN15M2BU
Please point out where in the linked article guns are mentioned.

Chas.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Guns and cars are a big part of asset seizure abuse. It does seem odd that a president is going after a conservative Republican, Senator Konni Burton who is only trying to defend our Texan's rights of due process. I was hoping that he would let up his bullying tactics when he became president. Trump as a citizen had little respect for property rights of others when he was a citizen, and is showing the same lack of respect as president.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Senator Cornyn has filed a national reciprocity bill in the US Senate. It differs slightly from the house bill in regards to non-resident permits.
There two pieces of legislation appear to differ on one point, however. Hudson told the Washington Free Beacon in January that his legislation would require a state to honor all nonresident permits from other states, even if it is held by one of its own residents. In other words, this provision would allow someone who lived in a state like Hawaii, which issued zero concealed carry permits last year, to legally carry in Hawaii by obtaining a nonresident permit from another state.

Cornyn's bill does not include this provision, according to his aides. Under Cornyn's bill, if individuals are allowed to carry in their home states then they are eligible to carry in other states. Individuals will not be free to obtain concealed carry permits from other states to use in their home state.

"The legislation allows a person to use a nonresident permit to carry in their home state so long as their own state recognizes the permit as valid," one Cornyn aide said.

Both bills are now awaiting hearings.
http://freebeacon.com/issues/cornyn-int ... ll-senate/

It has about 30 cosponsors.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/cornyn-int ... ll-senate/
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “Federal”