It's Time for National Reciprocity

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 4

Re: It's Time for National Reciprocity

Post by Lynyrd »

NotRPB wrote:Nationwide Concealed-Carry RECIPROCITY Bill Introduced in Congress on Day One!
Second Amendment
BREITBART --
On January 3–the first day of the 115th Congress–Representative Richard Hudson (R-NC-8) introduced national concealed carry reciprocity legislation.

full article at https://www.redflagnews.com/headlines-2 ... on-day-one
If this passes, are there any states that don't issue permits at all? I know there are some "may issue" but I am not aware of any that don't have some kind of permit, unless they are constitutional carry of course.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CleverNickname »

There's no states which don't have some sort of carry license, but apparently the Northern Marianas and Guam don't have any sort of license available, even one that's never issued.

"May-issue" states are pretty variable too. Issuance in states like NY, CA and MA is highly dependent on where in the state the applicant lives, but in other states like NJ or HI, it's as good as "no issue." If an article I read the other day is correct, there's been something like three Hawaii licenses issued, ever.

I also noticed that this section from the 2015 version of the bill wasn't included in the 2017 version:

``(c) Unrestricted License or Permit.--In a State that allows the
issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms
to impose restrictions on the carrying of firearms by individual
holders of such licenses or permits, an individual carrying a concealed
handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a concealed
handgun according to the same terms authorized by an unrestricted
license of or permit issued to a resident of the State.

Finally, the 2017 bill also includes a section that says:

(2) The term ‘handgun’ includes any magazine
for use in a handgun and any ammunition loaded
into the handgun or its magazine.

Since the bill doesn't require that a licensee have a license from their own state to carry in that state, and any magazines for use in a handgun are included, it looks like state-level magazine bans would be effectively neutered for anyone with a license. If this passed, then I'm guessing there would also be a new market in those magazine-ban states for STANAG ("AR15") magazines marked "pistol". It doesn't say that the magazines have to be used in a handgun, just that they are for use in a handgun. Marking "pistol" on them would seem to be prima-facie evidence that they're designed for use in pistols. Canadian gun owners do something similar. They're limited to 5-round magazines in rifles, but 10-rounds for handguns, so there's a market for 10-round AR15 pistol magazines, which somehow almost always end up being used in rifles.
Last edited by CleverNickname on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tbrown »

jed wrote:Say national reciprocity passes, who will enforce the new federal law?
My guess is the same ones who enforce "shall not be infringed" now.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TreyHouston »

Im willing to bet this will pass. Trump is a gun fan...
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

TreyHouston wrote:Im willing to bet this will pass. Trump is a gun fan...
Not really. NRA wants that to pass. That is it.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Beiruty wrote:
Trump is a gun guy now. He has a carry permit and carries and he's an NRA Live Member. His sons are huge gun guys who hunt, shoot competitively, reload and have carry permits. Yes, years ago Trump commented about supporting an assault rifle ban, but his sons quickly educated the New Yorker about the truth of semi-auto rifles and how they are used by citizens.

Chas.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
Trump is a gun guy now. He has a carry permit and carries and he's an NRA Live Member. His sons are huge gun guys who hunt, shoot competitively, reload and have carry permits. Yes, years ago Trump commented about supporting an assault rifle ban, but his sons quickly educated the New Yorker about the truth of semi-auto rifles and how they are used by citizens.

Chas.
I do not mind that, I am happy he flopped to the right of the people to bare arms.

I am also aware that his kids are big hunters. :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Beiruty,

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

KLB

Post by KLB »

tbrown wrote:
jed wrote:Say national reciprocity passes, who will enforce the new federal law?
Presumably it will be a defense to prosecution, which is not to say places such as New York and New Jersey won't bring the prosecutions anyway.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

KLB wrote:
tbrown wrote:
Presumably it will be a defense to prosecution, which is not to say places such as New York and New Jersey won't bring the prosecutions anyway.

For that very reason I will not carry in any of those states until a test case has made it all the way up through the judicial system. I don't want to spend any time in their jails and I can't afford to be involved paying for litigation. It will probably take a longer time than I have anyway.
N5PNZ

KLB

Post by KLB »

2farnorth wrote:For that very reason I will not carry in any of those states until a test case has made it all the way up through the judicial system. I don't want to spend any time in their jails and I can't afford to be involved paying for litigation. It will probably take a longer time than I have anyway.
You and me both.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

As expected, Dudley Brown's NAGR is opposing it.

Chas.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:As expected, Dudley Brown's NAGR is opposing it.

Chas.
Is this the claim National Reciprocity is a back door registration deal? Or was that one of the other "We fight for you.....oh and please give us lots of money to do that" sites?
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

I never heard of the the NAGR people. So I googled them and checked ou their stance:

These People are nuts!!

They claim that the National Reciprocity Bill is subterfuge for constitutional carry. One is a national Bill and the other is an individual state issue. They claim that the Bill introduces a back door for more intervention by the Feds for more regulations. The Feds can't pass regulations without passing a new bill. If congress becomes predisposed to pass a gun grabber bill, having a reciprocity law won't make it any easier (or more difficult).

It seems to me that the NAGR is a one issue organization, that is willing to sacrifice the rights of all of us to promote the importance of their single issue. Their website rips the NRA and is a full out attempt to divided and split the gun community using old fashioned FUD.

Definition.
FUD: fear, uncertainty and doubt, usually evoked intentionally in order to put a competitor at a disadvantage.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Now, I did not read the national bill, Does it specify minimum requirements for the licenses? I guess, not. All what is says that if you have a valid LTC from outside the home state, the visited state should recognize the LTC, and the visitor LTCer should follow the gun laws of the hosting state.
There is no intervention as to what the gun laws in the hosting state should be. Now, the only problem is that sate where there is no OC or CC licensing got stuck with no gun carrying laws of their own. This is a mute issue if OC or CC licensed or otherwise is legal in all states.
Beiruty,

Return to “Federal”