Hearing Protection Act of 2017

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Post by Lambda Force »

So if a silencer is a gun, what would qualify as an 80% gun that doesn't require a FFL transfer? A plastic 2 liter Coke bottle? A pillow? :mrgreen:
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

goose

Post by goose »

From Michael McCaul:

"February 17, 2017

Dear Mr. Goose:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 367, the Hearing Protection Act. I appreciate the benefit of having your views on this matter.

As you may know, H.R. 367 was introduced by Representative Jeff Duncan (SC-03) on January 9, 2017. If enacted into law, this bill would eliminate the $200 transfer tax on firearm silencers. This bill would also remove firearm suppressors from the regulation of the National Firearms Act. Please know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. As such, I will review this legislation closely.

This legislation has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee and the House Committee on Ways and Means. While I do not serve on these committees, I will share your concerns with my colleagues who do. Should H.R. 367 come to the House floor for a vote, I will consider it with your views in mind."

A little disappointed that it doesn't say he supports it. Fairly non-committal, IMO. But not hostile towards it either. Fingers crossed.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 34

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

House version now has 104 cosponsors. Ted Poe TX-2 and John Abney Culberson TX-7 signed on yesterday.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TreyHouston »

goose wrote:From Michael McCaul:

"February 17, 2017

Dear Mr. Goose:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 367, the Hearing Protection Act. I appreciate the benefit of having your views on this matter.

As you may know, H.R. 367 was introduced by Representative Jeff Duncan (SC-03) on January 9, 2017. If enacted into law, this bill would eliminate the $200 transfer tax on firearm silencers. This bill would also remove firearm suppressors from the regulation of the National Firearms Act. Please know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. As such, I will review this legislation closely.

This legislation has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee and the House Committee on Ways and Means. While I do not serve on these committees, I will share your concerns with my colleagues who do. Should H.R. 367 come to the House floor for a vote, I will consider it with your views in mind."

A little disappointed that it doesn't say he supports it. Fairly non-committal, IMO. But not hostile towards it either. Fingers crossed.
Your voice as a voter matters and probably WILL affect his vote. However, I think they will NEVER say the don't support a bill. Either, "I am a co-sponsor " or "I will consider and read closely "! AS IF THEY EVER READ THEM!!! :???:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politicians.

Some people attribute the above to General Patton while others say this isn't his quote.

All I can say is the words ring true!

If they can obfuscate or deflect or in some manner crawfish they will regarding any subject.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Hitler has an opinion on the HPA... :mrgreen:

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ruark »

TreyHouston wrote:
Abraham wrote:Why wouldn't foreign mfgs. import lower cost suppressors?

I recall reading something to the effect they sell suppressors in Europe for $150.00 or so.

So, why would domestic mfgs. continue to demand so very, very much more?
:iagree: its a tube and some baffling, nothing overly impressive here!
Exactly. I think if it passes, you'll see a lot of "garage factories," just people making them and selling them online.
-Ruark

bobby

Post by bobby »

no I dont think so. I puts them in same class as rifles.... so... ser# part will be????
:txflag:

sheary

Post by sheary »

Ruark wrote:
TreyHouston wrote:

I recall reading something to the effect they sell suppressors in Europe for $150.00 or so.

Exactly. I think if it passes, you'll see a lot of "garage factories," just people making them and selling them online.
They can't do that legally if gun mufflers will still be classified as firearms. They'll need to be made by a Type 6 FFL or other Manufacturer FFL. We'll probably be able to make them for personal use, if normal firearm rules apply, but we can't sell or give homemade firearms to other people.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TreyHouston »

Ruark wrote:
TreyHouston wrote:

Im already looking at the paperwork!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

If this passes, I wonder if a flash hider threaded for an oil filter would be a firearm or just a part, assuming the flash hider doesn't reduce sound by itself.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

kragluver

Post by kragluver »

I had the honor of being a judge at the Fort Worth regional science Fair this morning. One of the exhibits was by two young ladies evaluating the effect of a can on rifle accuracy... Our future is in good hands :txflag:

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

ArmedAndPolite

Post by ArmedAndPolite »

I wonder what are the odds this bill passing is? I have form 4s ready, fingerprints and everything. Heck, if something ends up happening in the next 6 months, might as well wait and save the tax money.
12/28/12 Online Application
01/11/13 All documents mailed w/signature confirmation
02/11/13 Plastic in hand
Total time: 48 days

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 34

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

107 sponsors in the house.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

ArmedAndPolite wrote:I wonder what are the odds this bill passing is? I have form 4s ready, fingerprints and everything. Heck, if something ends up happening in the next 6 months, might as well wait and save the tax money.

I wouldn't wait. If it does pass, then there will be a run on suppressors form all the people that do wait. Supply will dry up and prices will increase until the supply and demand level out. Think AR's after Sandy Hook. Plus there is a provision in the bill to refund the tax stamps cost to all who filed after a certain date (although I wouldn't be surprised if that language is struck from the final version.

Return to “Federal”