Hearing Protection Act of 2017

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22336
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby The Annoyed Man » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:10 am

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:What is wrong with Cruz? Did his loss to Trump cause him such distress he's retreated to a safe space?

I'm guessing that he's just tied up with things like schooling sanders in debates... :lol::

Yeah, but how long does it take to tell your chief of staff to make sure your name appears on some legislation as a cosponsor?
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre


Ruark
Senior Member
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby Ruark » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am

I'm looking forward to buying my first suppressor at Academy for $39.95.... (checks wallet).
-Ruark

User avatar

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Senior Member
Posts: 1596
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby TexasJohnBoy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:56 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:What is wrong with Cruz? Did his loss to Trump cause him such distress he's retreated to a safe space?

I'm guessing that he's just tied up with things like schooling sanders in debates... :lol::

Yeah, but how long does it take to tell your chief of staff to make sure your name appears on some legislation as a cosponsor?

not this long.... :waiting:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby TreyHouston » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Ruark wrote:I'm looking forward to buying my first suppressor at Academy for $39.95.... (checks wallet).


YEP! Every Tom Dick and Harry are foing to be making and selling them! I expect prices to plummet! Anyone think im wrong?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


jb2012
Senior Member
Posts: 660
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby jb2012 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:05 pm

TreyHouston wrote:
Ruark wrote:I'm looking forward to buying my first suppressor at Academy for $39.95.... (checks wallet).


YEP! Every Tom Dick and Harry are foing to be making and selling them! I expect prices to plummet! Anyone think im wrong?


I'm going to guess that prices will go down, but not plummet. I'm sure you will be able to buy some "disposable" supressors for cheap, but I would expect the big name quality supressors to stay within 10-20% of their current prices. There is an elasticity to every product, and companies know what they can and should get for their products.

User avatar

Rhino1
Member
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: Smithson Valley (Comal County)

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby Rhino1 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:39 pm

I was at SHOT Show. The consensus of suppressor manufacturers that I talked to was that the shelves would be empty the day the bill is signed and prices would skyrocket. Eventually the price would stabilize, hopefully much lower with others entering the market, as supply caught up with demand.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

User avatar

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Senior Member
Posts: 1596
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby TexasJohnBoy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:36 pm

Rhino1 wrote:I was at SHOT Show. The consensus of suppressor manufacturers that I talked to was that the shelves would be empty the day the bill is signed and prices would skyrocket. Eventually the price would stabilize, hopefully much lower with others entering the market, as supply caught up with demand.

This is kind of what I have heard. It'll take 2-3 years for everything to fully stabilize...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14


ammoboy2
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:44 am

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby ammoboy2 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:53 pm

It may take a while to be legal in some states. That would help limit the demand a bit.


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 6746
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby Abraham » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:21 am

Why wouldn't foreign mfgs. import lower cost suppressors?

I recall reading something to the effect they sell suppressors in Europe for $150.00 or so.

So, why would domestic mfgs. continue to demand so very, very much more?


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby TreyHouston » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:28 am

Abraham wrote:Why wouldn't foreign mfgs. import lower cost suppressors?

I recall reading something to the effect they sell suppressors in Europe for $150.00 or so.

So, why would domestic mfgs. continue to demand so very, very much more?


:iagree: its a tube and some baffling, nothing overly impressive here!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

User avatar

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Senior Member
Posts: 1596
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby TexasJohnBoy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:07 am

House bill to 101 sponsors today.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5167
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby Pawpaw » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Abraham wrote:Why wouldn't foreign mfgs. import lower cost suppressors?

I recall reading something to the effect they sell suppressors in Europe for $150.00 or so.

So, why would domestic mfgs. continue to demand so very, very much more?

I think it's partly because most people will balk at paying a $200 tax on a $150 item. If you can afford to pay a much higher price for the item, the $200 tax seems less onerous.

There's also the economies of scale. The suppressor market is very small compared to say the firearms market. To be able to turn enough profit to stay in business they need a higher markup.

Those reasons and, "Because they can."

Eliminating the tax will eliminate all of those things. It will take time for the market to settle, however.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin 1759

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Ameer
Senior Member
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby Ameer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:33 pm

If suppressors are removed from the NFA, what's the argument to treat them as firearms? Why shouldn't they be treated like any other muzzle device?
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5167
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby Pawpaw » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:37 pm

Ameer wrote:If suppressors are removed from the NFA, what's the argument to treat them as firearms? Why shouldn't they be treated like any other muzzle device?

Well now you're just being logical. Stop that!!! ;-)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin 1759

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Senior Member
Posts: 1596
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Postby TexasJohnBoy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Ameer wrote:If suppressors are removed from the NFA, what's the argument to treat them as firearms? Why shouldn't they be treated like any other muzzle device?

Compromise to get moderate democrats on board and keep moderate republicans on board. That's the only reason that provision is on it, if you ask me.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14


Return to “Federal”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest