OlBill
Posts in topic: 3

Re: House Bill Would Disband Scandal-Plagued ATF

Post by OlBill »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
OlBill wrote:$1.2 billion.

5,000 people
Budget and employees?

I'm sure that most of those employees would still be employed by the IRS, FBI or DEA. The jobs they perform would still need to be performed within the agencies that take over the responsibilities of the dissolved ATF.

As far as budget, last time I looked at the deficit and debt, they could use less spending.
Indeed

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

OlBill wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:

5,000 people
Budget and employees?

I'm sure that most of those employees would still be employed by the IRS, FBI or DEA. The jobs they perform would still need to be performed within the agencies that take over the responsibilities of the dissolved ATF.

As far as budget, last time I looked at the deficit and debt, they could use less spending.
Indeed
A man of few words, I see. ;-)
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 2farnorth »

Most of their scandal problems stem from being politicized by the Clintons and Janet Reno. Most of the field agents wanted nothing to do with the mob that ran the DC end. It got even worse with Obama
N5PNZ

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Liberty wrote:Moving the Firearms enforcement into the FBI would have two effects.

1: it makes enforcement less subject too new or changing regulations. The FBI isn't a regulatory agency. So it would be less likely to have a group of people sitting around a table, wondering "How can we muck things up for the deplorables?"

2: I think the FBI also has the danger of becoming a super agency, that is getting all too sensitive to political pressures.They seem to let some people get away with all kinds of stuff. Yet,so willing to make scapegoats outa people for people that aren't kissing the right donkeys. I'm not sure I trust them anymore, and I don't know what Trump can do to improve our confidence. These days, I'm seeing lots of similarities to the old E. German Stasi. I would be willing to talk to any Local or Texas LEO about any investigation. But I would never have any conversation with any fed without a lawyer.
Comey made it plain that the FBI are no longer a non-political, impartial organization
2farnorth wrote:Most of their scandal problems stem from being politicized by the Clintons and Janet Reno. Most of the field agents wanted nothing to do with the mob that ran the DC end. It got even worse with Obama
Now that the precedent has been established, does anyone seriously think it will stop? Richard Nixon used the IRS to attack his political enemies. Then Clinton tried it. We've had 8 long years of an unrepentant Obama using the IRS to try and shut down conservative speech. Please tell me that the election of Trump will make the cancers in that sick agency suddenly repent. No! They will keep their heads down and wait 4 or 8 years for their chance to help get a democrat government in power again and to keep it there. The IRS is the IRA to the democrats' Sinn Fein.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

TAM, I agree about the IRS. The ATF was not as political until Janet Reno (that I'm aware of). I didn't have that much involvement with them 'til the late 80s and then still it was not a lot. After that some of involvement was ATF agents that were on loan to the Secret Service during the presidental campaign season.
Yes I agree that it would be hard to weed out the political hacks that were set into various levels in the last 8 years. IMHO many are sleepers that will set out to embarrass Mr. Trump when they get opportunities. They were set in place to do Obama/Hillary's bidding .

I would rather that the IRS be disbanded but I don't hear anyone introducing serious legislation to make that happen. :grumble
N5PNZ

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:

5,000 people
Budget and employees?

We could give all of them shovel ready jobs. Burying all the regulations put in place over the last eight years.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

2farnorth wrote:TAM, I agree about the IRS. The ATF was not as political until Janet Reno (that I'm aware of). I didn't have that much involvement with them 'til the late 80s and then still it was not a lot. After that some of involvement was ATF agents that were on loan to the Secret Service during the presidental campaign season.
Yes I agree that it would be hard to weed out the political hacks that were set into various levels in the last 8 years. IMHO many are sleepers that will set out to embarrass Mr. Trump when they get opportunities. They were set in place to do Obama/Hillary's bidding .

I would rather that the IRS be disbanded but I don't hear anyone introducing serious legislation to make that happen. :grumble
Every ATF agent I encountered back in the 60's and 70's was arrogant, gun un-friendly. I only had them come a few times, mostly audits, though one was a followup on a weapon we sold that was used in a homicide. Normally the feds wouldn't have been involved, but the guy bought it here in Texas and took it to Louisiana and murdered someone. I actually remembered the guy who had purchased the rifle, a Model 336 Marlin 30-30.

BTW Using the post title "Scandal -Plagued" as criteria for disbanding - what agency-bureaucracy under Obama hasn't had a scandal?
Last edited by puma guy on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tbrown »

It sounds like having surgery to remove cancer, and then cutting the tumor into smaller pieces and implanting those pieces in other areas of your body. :roll:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

tx85

Post by tx85 »

According to NSSF's latest newsletter, the Trump admin has decided to keep on Obama's acting ATF director for the foreseeable future. I'm not very familiar with his record, but it goes without saying that anyone appointed by Obama is unlikely to be a friend to law-abiding gun owners.

It's unfortunate that they are not nominating ATF's Ronald Turk (who wrote a whitepaper early this year on eliminating various ineffective/irrational gun control regulations).

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Term limits for politicians were mentioned.

Forget that.
In theory we can vote them out of office.

The ones I am concerned about are the non-ELECTED.
Appointed judges ought to be for a term. They need to move on.
Same for any bureaucrat. How long should your government job last?
Congressional aids need to move around.
BATFE, FBI, ICE, DEA, and Agents from any other agency need to, at least, change agency's every decade.

Working for a government agency should not be a career. Every so often, you should have to change agency's and cities.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

greyjack

Post by greyjack »

Whenever I think about applying for an NFA tax stamp, I remember what the founding fathers did to Andrew Oliver.

Return to “Federal”