House Bill Would Disband Scandal-Plagued ATF

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

House Bill Would Disband Scandal-Plagued ATF

Post by Pawpaw »

Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner has just reintroduced legislation to disband the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), folding their duties into other federal law enforcement agencies and ending a national nightmare.
https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/01/1 ... ering-atf/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: House Bill Would Disband Scandal-Plagued ATF

Post by The Annoyed Man »

:shock: Holy cow! I'll bet there's some blowback on this one!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Well, the alcohol and tobacco could go to IRS or Treasury as they are there for tax and regulatory purposes, Firearms and explosives could go to FBI. Doesn't FBI perform the NICS check anyway. Could get rid of a bunch of administrators and supervisors if it was folded into other departments.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

They can all go study climate change for Gore and record polar bear fart patterns.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

This bill sounds like a fantastic idea. It makes perfect sense to be more efficient with our resources. An entire agency dedicated to a job that could easily be taken care of by other agencies that already exist.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Yes please.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

This should be just the beginning. 7/8 of the national government is unconstitutional anyway.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

jason812

Post by jason812 »

anygunanywhere wrote:This should be just the beginning. 7/8 of the national government is unconstitutional anyway.
I would say this would be a good start to the existence of fewer alphabet agencies who make laws without getting a vote in Congress.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Yes, it would be a Darned Good Start.

With the new administration coming and no obligations to the existing bureaucracies, all sorts of things are on the table.

Term limits bill has been introduced.

Suppressors

Returning federal land to the states.

Single subject bills to reduce unrelated pork-barrel add-ons

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... gress.html

We have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to restore this nation to some semblance of the FF's vision. There is hope.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Drain that swamp! Drain that swamp! Drain that swamp!

All together now....Drain that swamp!

:thewave
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Like most or all others here, I'm all for this.

We've seen the effects of over 100 years of "mission creep" and it's not pretty.

I believe that we could all function quite well with a smaller governmental presence.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

$1.2 billion.

5,000 people

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

OlBill wrote:$1.2 billion.

5,000 people
Budget and employees?

I'm sure that most of those employees would still be employed by the IRS, FBI or DEA. The jobs they perform would still need to be performed within the agencies that take over the responsibilities of the dissolved ATF.

As far as budget, last time I looked at the deficit and debt, they could use less spending.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

AF-Odin wrote:Well, the alcohol and tobacco could go to IRS or Treasury as they are there for tax and regulatory purposes, Firearms and explosives could go to FBI. Doesn't FBI perform the NICS check anyway. Could get rid of a bunch of administrators and supervisors if it was folded into other departments.
There is a bureau under the Treasury that already handles the tax collection for alcohol and tobacco. So, really, the BATFE is misnamed and pretty much handles only explosives and firearms law enforcement. I've been saying versions of what you said for some years now. It really wouldn't get rid of a large number of personnel, unless the laws that need to be enforced were changed/rescinded, well. Most of the agents would simply transfer. However, a lot of top bureaucrats and managers would go bye-bye, and maybe with explosives and firearms as just another function of the FBI, it would decrease the level of politics surrounding the whole thing. Well, we can dream, anyway.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Moving the Firearms enforcement into the FBI would have two effects.

1: it makes enforcement less subject too new or changing regulations. The FBI isn't a regulatory agency. So it would be less likely to have a group of people sitting around a table, wondering "How can we muck things up for the deplorables?"

2: I think the FBI also has the danger of becoming a super agency, that is getting all too sensitive to political pressures.They seem to let some people get away with all kinds of stuff. Yet,so willing to make scapegoats outa people for people that aren't kissing the right donkeys. I'm not sure I trust them anymore, and I don't know what Trump can do to improve our confidence. These days, I'm seeing lots of similarities to the old E. German Stasi. I would be willing to talk to any Local or Texas LEO about any investigation. But I would never have any conversation with any fed without a lawyer.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Federal”