TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

ATF Whitepaper leak

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

:cheers2:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... er-leaked/

Regarding braces...
This could change their determination that came out back in 2015 that using a brace could constitute a redesign. As Adam Kraut had explained, misusing a product is not the same as redesigning or manufacturing.

If that got you excited wait until you see what else they got cooking.
Silencers...
Given the lack of criminality associated with silencers, it is reasonable to conclude that they should not be viewed as a threat to public safety necessitating NFA classification, and should be considered for reclassification under the GCA.
I haven't read everything in it yet, but these two points sound mighty nice.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 3

Re: ATF Whitepaper leak

Post by CleverNickname »

It's not an official ATF whitepaper, it's just the opinions of an ATF bureaucrat. If I had to guess, I'd guess that:

1) This is an unofficial way of the author trying to get his name in the news so that he'll get offered the job of ATF director.
2) This "leak" consisted of the author emailing the document to the Washington Post.

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Even if it's only an ATF bureaucrat, maybe at least an indication of winds of change...?

ETA: This is written by the second in command of the ATF - https://www.atf.gov/about/executive-staff
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rotor »

Perhaps people trying to keep their jobs in a Trump administration.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

In another thread about this paper, a poster asked if that the idea with the HPA was to treat silencers like rifles, and recieved a reply in the affirmative. That thread is now closed, so I can't reply there, however I'd still like to point out that this is incorrect.

The HPA, as written, would remove silencers from being regulated by the NFA, so transfers would be cash and carry after filling out a 4473 and passing NICS, and would be legal for private sale to other state residents. However the HPA doesn't include silencers in the exemption which allows FFLs to sell rifles and shotguns to 18-20 year olds, nor does it include silencers in the exemption which allows FFLs to sell rifles and shotguns to residents of other states. A better statement would be that the HPA modifies the law to treat silencers like handguns.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

If something like this did go into effect, we would need the texas law updated, as right now, you are legal to own a suppressor only if it has been registered with the ATF...
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

The HPA includes a provision which nullifies any state registration requirements, but doesn't nullify any outright state silencer bans (e.g. California).

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Folks, we currently have three different Topics discussing an identical subject: The recent ATF white paper and possible changes to certain NFA regulations. Unfortunately, the moderators didn't catch this duplication due largely to the fact that the Topics were started in different areas of the Forum.

We're going against typical practice here and not keeping the earliest Topic (although there is only one day separating the Topic start times), but rather the one that is in the most appropriate Forum area and that has the most replies.

Please visit this Topic to continue the discussion: "ATF White Paper discusses deregulating suppressors and arm braces" http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=87842.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “Federal”