H.R.38: National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: H.R.38: National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Maybe Texas and other freedom loving states should stop honoring California drivers licenses, and arrest anyone driving in Texas with such a license? That might help to illustrate the absurdity of the current situation. As a side benefit it would discourage the out of control immigration we are seeing from that place.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RoyGBiv »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:The million dollar question is..... When will we see some progress in the Senate?

Unfortunately, it appears unlikely that this bill will have enough votes to get past the expected filibuster.

And there's been comments attributed to some R's (Cornyn) about addressing the bills separately in the Senate which would almost certainly leave us with a fixed-NICS, but no reciprocity. On the Senate side, some R's are referring to fix-NICS as the "consensus bill", which sounds like they're throwing in the towel on reciprocity.

What's the reality?
The NRA's position is that H.R.38, as passed by the House, must get a vote. We have made that clear and everyone, including our own Sen. Cornyn, knows it. Whether the Democrats will filibuster it and kill Fix NICS that both Republicans and Democrats want is an open question. If they believe that Fix NICS will be passed as a separate bill, then that will embolden them to filibuster. However, the House isn't likely to look too kindly on the Senate splitting its Bill.

It's most definitely an uphill battle, but it's a battle we must wage. It's time for everyone to call and write their Senators, including Cornyn, and emphatically but politely demand that the Senate not merely vote on H.R.38 as it stands now, but that it pass H.R.38. My personal view is that splitting Fix NICS from National Reciprocity is selling out law-abiding gun owners. This self-defense bill is so important to Americans that Republicans should not allow a filibuster to kill it. Let the filibuster shut down the Senate until Democrats finally run out of gas or violate Senate rules, then pass H.R.38. Not passing H.R.38 is as bad and as insulting as the Texas Legislature not removing all off-limits areas for LTC's, the most law-abiding of Texans. The right to preserve one's life should not be subject to geographic boundaries.

Sen. John Cornyn - 202-224-2934 I believe this is a main number, but I'm not sure.

Chas.
That is roughly what I figured Charles. Thanks very much.
I need to think for a bit before reaching out to Cornyn (and Cruz), perhaps the Senate Committee as well.
https://ballotpedia.org/United_States_S ... _Judiciary
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TreyHouston »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Maybe Texas and other freedom loving states should stop honoring California drivers licenses, and arrest anyone driving in Texas with such a license? That might help to illustrate the absurdity of the current situation. As a side benefit it would discourage the out of control immigration we are seeing from that place.
Soccordad! There you go being silly again! Everyone knows driving laws don’t change from state to state and guns kill FAR more people than vehicles! You obviously cannot compare the two! :biggrinjester:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I forgot to add that vehicles have never been intentionally used to kill someone!

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: It's most definitely an uphill battle, but it's a battle we must wage. It's time for everyone to call and write their Senators, including Cornyn, and emphatically but politely demand that the Senate not merely vote on H.R.38 as it stands now, but that it pass H.R.38.
Chas.
Sent to his website just now (and I'll make my phone call next):

Senator Cornyn,

I am writing you this note to express my strong support for HB 38, the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. This is an important measure, and will help protect 2nd Amendment rights of legal gun owners with a license to carry as we travel freely across our country.

Yes, I believe states' rights are paramount, but states' powers are not absolute: they cannot violate the basic rights enumerated within the constitution (which includes ALL of the rights denoted within the Bill of Rights).

We, the proponents of this legislation, live in fear of traveling from state to state while carrying or transporting our legally owned firearms. We have proactively passed extensive background checks, have been fingerprinted, and statistically, we are among your most law-abiding constituents. I hope you will consider this as you vote "Yes" for this bill, so it can be sent to the President for his signature.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

^^^^ Well stated VT....

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TrueFlog »

How would this bill affect the ability of state and local governments to prohibit concealed carry at locations not covered by (b)(2)? In other words, would states still be able to ban concealed carry at so-called "sensitive locations" such as bars, hospitals, churches, etc.? Section (c)(1) seems to indicate that states would no longer be able to declare such locations as off-limits, but I'd be surprised if that's what Congress really intends.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

TrueFlog wrote:How would this bill affect the ability of state and local governments to prohibit concealed carry at locations not covered by (b)(2)? In other words, would states still be able to ban concealed carry at so-called "sensitive locations" such as bars, hospitals, churches, etc.? Section (c)(1) seems to indicate that states would no longer be able to declare such locations as off-limits, but I'd be surprised if that's what Congress really intends.
You are supposed to follow the concealed carry law of state you are visiting
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

apostate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by apostate »

TrueFlog wrote:How would this bill affect the ability of state and local governments to prohibit concealed carry at locations not covered by (b)(2)? In other words, would states still be able to ban concealed carry at so-called "sensitive locations" such as bars, hospitals, churches, etc.? Section (c)(1) seems to indicate that states would no longer be able to declare such locations as off-limits, but I'd be surprised if that's what Congress really intends.
States could still prohibit us from carrying in legitimately "sensitive locations" such as courts, jails, State mental hospitals, et cetera. Private entities could still post 30.06 signs (or local equivalent) to prohibit trespassing with a concealed handgun. However, reading it literally, a State or local government wouldn't have to power to make private property off-limits. That power would be reserved for the private property owner/management, as it should be.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Trump publicly spars with Republicans over concealed carry
During the meeting, which also included prominent Democrats, Trump told House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., who was gravely injured in a mass shooting this summer, that a comprehensive gun bill would not pass if it included a concealed carry reciprocity proposal desired by Republicans.

“You know, I’m your biggest fan in the whole world,” Trump told Scalise. “I think that bill maybe one day will pass, but it should pass as a separate. If you’re going to put concealed carry between states into this bill, we’re talking about a whole new ball game.”

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

RoyGBiv wrote:Trump publicly spars with Republicans over concealed carry
During the meeting, which also included prominent Democrats, Trump told House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., who was gravely injured in a mass shooting this summer, that a comprehensive gun bill would not pass if it included a concealed carry reciprocity proposal desired by Republicans.

“You know, I’m your biggest fan in the whole world,” Trump told Scalise. “I think that bill maybe one day will pass, but it should pass as a separate. If you’re going to put concealed carry between states into this bill, we’re talking about a whole new ball game.”

Disappointing read.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

My jaw dropped. This is how you alienate your base.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

and here I was blaming the Dems for not pushing this through.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

After what I just read, I’m afraid this is dead.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Trump was not my first choice. I voted for another candidate in the primary. But he was the (much) more tolerable candidate in the general election, or so I thought. So I stood by him and encouraged others to do the same. I will be voting against him in the 2020 primaries, and at this point I honestly don't know what I will do in the 2020 general election (assuming Trump gets the Republican nomination). It might be time to vote Libertarian.

Return to “Federal”