H.R.38: National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jay2121
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: H.R.38: National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

Post by Jay2121 »

We eat our own don’t we. For goodness sake turn on Trump and get a liberal. What else bothers you people, SCOTUS picks?, federal judges? Tax cuts? Elimination of Obama’s mandates? 2.5 million new jobs? Manuf coming home? I could do over a hundred more. He was not my first choice Cruz was but Trump is better. National cc is not my line in the sand. We get a Biden, Ophra, or some other disaster national cc will be a distant memory. The dems get it they elect crap and will die defending the crap they elect they will not split their vote. If I hear one more Repub say “screw it let them dem win that will show them” how has that worked for us? the last 8 years did tremendous damage. Good grief!

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Jay2121 wrote:We eat our own don’t we. For goodness sake turn on Trump and get a liberal. What else bothers you people, SCOTUS picks?, federal judges? Tax cuts? Elimination of Obama’s mandates? 2.5 million new jobs? Manuf coming home? I could do over a hundred more. He was not my first choice Cruz was but Trump is better. National cc is not my line in the sand. We get a Biden, Ophra, or some other disaster national cc will be a distant memory. The dems get it they elect crap and will die defending the crap they elect they will not split their vote. If I hear one more Repub say “screw it let them dem win that will show them” how has that worked for us? the last 8 years did tremendous damage. Good grief!
You’re right. I’m not exactly happy about what I heard and saw today, but I am going to hold out final judgment for a while to see how it shakes out. An Oprah or Biden or any of the others would be infinitely worse.

I sincerely hope this is just posturing.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RoyGBiv »

RoyGBiv wrote:Trump publicly spars with Republicans over concealed carry
During the meeting, which also included prominent Democrats, Trump told House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., who was gravely injured in a mass shooting this summer, that a comprehensive gun bill would not pass if it included a concealed carry reciprocity proposal desired by Republicans.

“You know, I’m your biggest fan in the whole world,” Trump told Scalise. “I think that bill maybe one day will pass, but it should pass as a separate. If you’re going to put concealed carry between states into this bill, we’re talking about a whole new ball game.”
Quoting myself....

I think he's using rhetoric to buy time. I think he's still solid on guns.

Chess not checkers.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

RoyGBiv wrote:
During the meeting, which also included prominent Democrats, Trump told House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., who was gravely injured in a mass shooting this summer, that a comprehensive gun bill would not pass if it included a concealed carry reciprocity proposal desired by Republicans.

“You know, I’m your biggest fan in the whole world,” Trump told Scalise. “I think that bill maybe one day will pass, but it should pass as a separate. If you’re going to put concealed carry between states into this bill, we’re talking about a whole new ball game.”
Quoting myself....

Chess not checkers.
Man, I hope you’re right.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

RoyGBiv wrote:

Quoting myself....

Chess not checkers.
You'll excuse me if I don't share your enthusiasm. ;-)
Psalm 91:2

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

That's an amazing bill.

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

If you think Trump is really at war with AG Sessions through twitter and the fake news media, you may be excused because that is EXACTLY what is seems. But if you think about it for a few minutes, you'll realize that that is total nonsense. What is in the public display is theater. Why?

To keep the drive-by fake media chasing their tails. Why? That's the real >why<.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott Farkus »

RoyGBiv wrote: Quoting myself....

Chess not checkers.
I hope and pray you're right, but I'm having a very hard time seeing how he turns this around in our favor. I'm willing to put up with the nonsense and self-imposed turmoil if I can see a method to the madness, but I don't this time. And I know he's not the most precise speaker in the world, but usually I can follow along with the clumsy rhetoric and I know where he's going with it. But I don't this time. This was different.

On the other hand, it's extremely hard to believe that he did such a quick flip-flop on arguably his most staunch issue outside of immigration. This would be the biggest political betrayal of my lifetime. Even if he was "faking" his support for gun rights all along - and I don't think he was - you'd have to be a delusional fool to throw your most loyal constituency under the bus like this, especially when the alternative almost certainly means impeachment.

Speaking of which, dare I say it? If he lets Feinstein slip in her assault weapons ban, maybe our side needs to seriously consider leading it ourselves?

Something doesn't make sense. I hope he knows what he's doing because the alternative is very bleak.
Last edited by Scott Farkus on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

bbhack wrote:If you think Trump is really at war with AG Sessions through twitter and the fake news media, you may be excused because that is EXACTLY what is seems. But if you think about it for a few minutes, you'll realize that that is total nonsense. What is in the public display is theater. Why?

To keep the drive-by fake media chasing their tails. Why? That's the real >why<.
I don't know how confused the drive by media is tail chasing. But this libertarian leaning conservative is pretty disgusted these days. I was never a real fan of his, but actions lately have been traitorous I hope the voter and NRA is a little smarter in the 2020 primary season. Getting stabbed in the back hurts.
He sold us out on the Reciprocity.
He sold us out on the bump stocks.
He sold us out to Feinstein when he offered support to add her assault weapon ban bill to the School safety bill.

All without a fight. There is no compromise here it's just pure sell out He could have given us our right to carry and bear arms on Government lands with just a phone call and signature. Some call him a smart businessman. I think of him more as a wheeling dealer who sold us out. He promised that he would be our 2nd amendment champion. He gave us Justice John Roberts. Yeah, he might be a better choice than Hillary, but so would have any Republican, and half of the Democrats.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Yes, I too had a lot of concerns about him going in but like most of us, supported him because the alternative was not only far worse, it was the end of the Constitution as we know it. And now we might be there anyway.

What's particularly disappointing - no, disturbing - to me is that Trump had actually won over my trust, and was making good progress in other areas, and it looks like this whole Russian thing is about to be exposed for the big nothingburger that it is. He has (had?) the Democrats teed up perfectly for an immigration fight that he could win. He did it not by throwing away the DACA bargaining chip, but by doubling down on it to expose Schumer for the hypocrite that he is. Not that this is the same, because I don't want ANY of the gun control "compromises", but why throw away your bargaining chip of reciprocity? If nothing else, use it to gum up the works on EVERYTHING gun control related.

I don't know. I'm extremely saddened today. He might have lost me with this. Actually, unless there is a strategy here that I can't see, he did lose me with this.

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

Scott Farkus wrote:I'm extremely saddened today. He might have lost me with this. Actually, unless there is a strategy here that I can't see, he did lose me with this.
I'm very sorry to be "that guy," but I wasn't paying complete attention. The last time I looked at this, Fix NICS was tied to National Reciprocity. Did I just see in the news that Cornyn is separating Fix NICS and pushing it by its self?

I just need to get my facts straight before I pop off a letter to Mr. Cornyn.

Thanks for the clarification.
acronym 3/1/2018 11:25 AM

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Acronym Esq wrote:
Scott Farkus wrote:I'm extremely saddened today. He might have lost me with this. Actually, unless there is a strategy here that I can't see, he did lose me with this.
I'm very sorry to be "that guy," but I wasn't paying complete attention. The last time I looked at this, Fix NICS was tied to National Reciprocity. Did I just see in the news that Cornyn is separating Fix NICS and pushing it by its self?

I just need to get my facts straight before I pop off a letter to Mr. Cornyn.

Thanks for the clarification.
acronym 3/1/2018 11:25 AM
Trump said a law closing NICS loopholes won't pass if reciprocity is included in the package deal.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

RoyGBiv wrote:

Quoting myself....

Chess not checkers.
I sure hope he's been playing chess with this. He's been known to blurt out some nonsensical things before and then
do the right thing later. It's hard to say if it's a strategy or just a really unusual way of operating. Either way it keeps folks confused.

The idea that national reciprocity shouldn't be included in the NICS fix bill sure sounds like the usual "everything for nothing" RINO strategy of giving away all leverage, passing what the dems want with a vague promise of getting what we want later, and then saying they're sorry they couldn' t pass what we need because there isn't enough support.

If dems want a NICS fix, they should be forced to give us reciprocity just like Trump is demanding the wall and an end to chain and lottery migration for a DACA fix. Giving away freedoms and getting nothing would be a total sellout.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I thought “negotiations” required both sides to give something up?

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Jay2121 wrote:We eat our own don’t we. For goodness sake turn on Trump and get a liberal.
If by "we" you mean Republicans, that's nothing new. The Republican Party has been biting the hands that feed them a long time. The only surprise is how many keep feeding the ungrateful beast.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Return to “Federal”