Joseph Kopser--anti-gun

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Joseph Kopser--anti-gun

Post by KLB »

Joseph Kopser is apparently running for the Democratic nomination for Texas District 21, the seat vacated by Lamar Smith. Here's his position statement on firearms:

[url]https://kopserforcongress.com/my-values/gun-safety//url]

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Joseph Kopser--anti-gun

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Apparently, the guy is a vet so I at least thank him for his service. That said, I did enjoy this little excerpt from his diatribe
I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again: If you want an assault-style, automatic weapon and a high-capacity magazine, do what I did and join the United States Army. I’ve seen up close the violent damage these kinds of weapons can do, and I can definitively say that they have no place in the hands of private citizens. There’s no need to list off every mass shooting in the last several years, it’s sufficiently damning of America that these events happen here with numbing frequency, and we refuse to do anything about it.
What automatic weapon was he issued that was magazine fed? Maybe he was in when I was before M-16's were converted from "auto" to "burst" mode? Or is there some cool infantry weapon I am missing? I was artillery, so didn't get to do much with automatic weapons other than our M-60.

But on the plus side, apparently the Army was kind enough to let him keep his "assault-style, automatic weapon and a high-capacity magazine". Maybe he can host a range day where he shows off his souvenir.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Apparently, the guy is a vet so I at least thank him for his service. That said, I did enjoy this little excerpt from his diatribe
I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again: If you want an assault-style, automatic weapon and a high-capacity magazine, do what I did and join the United States Army. I’ve seen up close the violent damage these kinds of weapons can do, and I can definitively say that they have no place in the hands of private citizens. There’s no need to list off every mass shooting in the last several years, it’s sufficiently damning of America that these events happen here with numbing frequency, and we refuse to do anything about it.
What automatic weapon was he issued that was magazine fed? Maybe he was in when I was before M-16's were converted from "auto" to "burst" mode? Or is there some cool infantry weapon I am missing? I was artillery, so didn't get to do much with automatic weapons other than our M-60.

But on the plus side, apparently the Army was kind enough to let him keep his "assault-style, automatic weapon and a high-capacity magazine". Maybe he can host a range day where he shows off his souvenir.
I thank him for his service, but as ignorant as he seems in his automatic weapon comments I wonder if he even had a weapon in the military.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Another liberal Progressive pissant who wants to force feed us his version of the Bill of Rights and tell us what rights the government will allow us to have.

Got news for you, guy... The Constitution acknowledges our rights. They are recognized, but do not come from government.

You have to oppose people like this because if they get the opportunity, they will attempt to use the powers of government to turn us from citizens to subjects.

Jeff B.

PS... someone serving doesn't earn any thanks from me. A stooge like this would probably be fine participating in gun confiscations. Look at the stances that McRaven took on carry on the University of Texas. These guys fail my litmus test big time.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

strogg

Post by strogg »

puma guy wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:Apparently, the guy is a vet so I at least thank him for his service. That said, I did enjoy this little excerpt from his diatribe

I thank him for his service, but as ignorant as he seems in his automatic weapon comments I wonder if he even had a weapon in the military.
Based off of a picture on his campaign website's main page, my guess is that he was issued an M4A1, which has an S-1-F trigger group. It looks like he served in Iraq too. I also thank him for his service. Unfortunately, though, I'm in the wrong district to vote against him in this coming election.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

He is a traitor to the oath he swore to protect and defend the constitution.

In my book, that negates any and all respect for his "service".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

KLB wrote:Joseph Kopser is apparently running for the Democratic nomination for Texas District 21, the seat vacated by Lamar Smith. Here's his position statement on firearms:

https://kopserforcongress.com/my-values/gun-safety/
Fixed the link for you. This dude is another useful idiot.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Pawpaw wrote:He is a traitor to the oath he swore to protect and defend the constitution.

In my book, that negates any and all respect for his "service".
Bingo.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

TexDotCom

Post by TexDotCom »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:What automatic weapon was he issued that was magazine fed? Maybe he was in when I was before M-16's were converted from "auto" to "burst" mode? Or is there some cool infantry weapon I am missing? I was artillery, so didn't get to do much with automatic weapons other than our M-60.
The M-249 [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M249_light_machine_gun] is fully automatic and fed by either a belt or a 30 round magazine. I didn't like using the magazine well, though, because the bolt cycled so quickly that I inevitably ended up with a jam due to the mag spring not being strong enough to push rounds into the weapon fast enough.

I also didn't get to keep it when I went through DEMOB after OIF, much less when I ETS'd.

:txflag:
Last edited by TexDotCom on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Any friend of Obama's is an enemy of mine. Typical dimocreep.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

TexDotCom wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:What automatic weapon was he issued that was magazine fed? Maybe he was in when I was before M-16's were converted from "auto" to "burst" mode? Or is there some cool infantry weapon I am missing? I was artillery, so didn't get to do much with automatic weapons other than our M-60.
The M-249 [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M249_light_machine_gun] is fully automatic and fed by either a belt or a 30 round magazine. I didn't like using the magazine well, though, because the bolt cycled so quickly that I inevitably ended up with a jam due to the mag spring not being strong enough to push rounds into the weapon fast enough.

I also didn't get to keep it either when I went through DEMOB after OIF, much less when I ETS'd.

:txflag:
When we came back from the gulf, a couple guys in my unit tried to keep a few AK's that they had found as souvenirs. They were successful, too. Right up to the point that they decided to get drunk, and back up into a police car while leaving the local bar. The AK's were sitting in plain view on the backseat of their truck. Those guys spent some time in Leavenworth on their way out of the service. Maybe this is what Mr Kosper means when he says that if you want a "fully auto assault weapon" you should join the Army. Because he knows that it would be easier to steal one from your unit than it would be to purchase one legally?

And as much as I disagree with this guy, I can still acknowledge and thank him for his service. These are different things, and unlike current day Democrats I can disagree with someone without hating them completely and disregarding anything good they have ever done.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

"If you want an M16, join the Army!"

I hate that line for two reasons:

1) It's not your rifle, it's the Army's. I want one to KEEP.

2) This isn't Starship Troopers. Service doesn't confer special privileges on the elect (ok well it DOES in certain, relatively small circumstances but I think you see my point). The RKBA is a fundamental human right that transcends politics and borders. It just isn't always recognized.
Psalm 91:2

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

If I believed he was defending the constitution I would respect his service but it sounds like he's on the other side.

To be clear, I won't be thanking Manning for hir military service either.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

BBYC wrote:If I believed he was defending the constitution I would respect his service but it sounds like he's on the other side.

I think Manning is a bit different since that person actually committed treason. To use another example, I would have thanked JFK for his service (if I was alive when he was), even though I disagreed with his politics vehemently. I am able to compartmentalize one versus the other. For all I know, this Kopser guy might be a great father, and an amazing husband. If he is, then I could also acknowledge that while continuing to vehemently disagree with him on his 2A stance.

IMHO, people are too quick to let hatred color their views. We are seeing that now with the Democrats. They have become a party of hate with no agenda other than hating and villifying anyone they disagree with. To a lesser extent, we saw something similar with the "never Trumpers". I just think we would all be better off if we could say, I think you are completely wrong on these specific beliefs but I understand that does not make you an evil person.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
BBYC wrote:If I believed he was defending the constitution I would respect his service but it sounds like he's on the other side.

I think Manning is a bit different since that person actually committed treason. To use another example, I would have thanked JFK for his service (if I was alive when he was), even though I disagreed with his politics vehemently. I am able to compartmentalize one versus the other. For all I know, this Kopser guy might be a great father, and an amazing husband. If he is, then I could also acknowledge that while continuing to vehemently disagree with him on his 2A stance.

IMHO, people are too quick to let hatred color their views. We are seeing that now with the Democrats. They have become a party of hate with no agenda other than hating and villifying anyone they disagree with. To a lesser extent, we saw something similar with the "never Trumpers". I just think we would all be better off if we could say, I think you are completely wrong on these specific beliefs but I understand that does not make you an evil person.
YES!!! :iagree:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Return to “Federal”