Frustrations!

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
strongsteve
Posts in topic: 5

Frustrations!

Post by strongsteve »

I am near 90 days now. I called last Monday and she said that it would be mailed on Thursday. It never was. I called this Monday and she said it would be mailed "today" (Monday). Well.. it still says "processing application" and a DL check still does not show an active CHL. I find it odd that the same person answers the phone everytime I call and that its that same person that answers my emails.. when they get answered. You call them and go through the darn answering system and think you will get a person but then the answering system comes on again and says the same stuff over again. Also, I heard that they only mail out licenses once a week.. that being Thursday yet this person yesterday said mine would go out "today". I have heard that twice before.. and it didnt happen. This whole thing is rediculous compared to other states that issue a CHL. By the time I get it, it will already be expired... SIGH!

txinvestigator

Re: Frustrations!

Post by txinvestigator »

strongsteve wrote:I am near 90 days now. I called last Monday and she said that it would be mailed on Thursday. It never was. I called this Monday and she said it would be mailed "today" (Monday). Well.. it still says "processing application" and a DL check still does not show an active CHL. I find it odd that the same person answers the phone everytime I call and that its that same person that answers my emails.. when they get answered. You call them and go through the darn answering system and think you will get a person but then the answering system comes on again and says the same stuff over again. Also, I heard that they only mail out licenses once a week.. that being Thursday yet this person yesterday said mine would go out "today". I have heard that twice before.. and it didnt happen. This whole thing is rediculous compared to other states that issue a CHL. By the time I get it, it will already be expired... SIGH!
I know this is tiring for you. Hopefully the legislature will give DPS more funding for the unit.

How did you run a driver license check? Are you LEO?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

txinvestigator wrote:
strongsteve wrote:I am near 90 days now. I called last Monday and she said that it would be mailed on Thursday. It never was. I called this Monday and she said it would be mailed "today" (Monday). Well.. it still says "processing application" and a DL check still does not show an active CHL. I find it odd that the same person answers the phone everytime I call and that its that same person that answers my emails.. when they get answered. You call them and go through the darn answering system and think you will get a person but then the answering system comes on again and says the same stuff over again. Also, I heard that they only mail out licenses once a week.. that being Thursday yet this person yesterday said mine would go out "today". I have heard that twice before.. and it didnt happen. This whole thing is rediculous compared to other states that issue a CHL. By the time I get it, it will already be expired... SIGH!
I know this is tiring for you. Hopefully the legislature will give DPS more funding for the unit.
What really burns me is that DPS had a $8million surplus in revenue generated by CHL fees as recently as 2 to 3 years ago. This money was supposedly transferred to the General Fund. This could easily have paid for more CHL processors. :mad5

There is an easy "fix" that will make things much easier and faster for DPS and that will bring the CHL requirements in compliance with the Texas Constitution. I suspect the "fix" will be introduced in 2007. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I have to presume the anti-gunners read this board, just as I keep up with the Brady Campaign web site on a weekly basis.

Another less likely and far more controversial method of dealing with the time delay is to require a partial or full refund of the CHL application fee, if the license isn’t issued on time. The amount of the refund would depend on how late the license was issued. I made this suggestion last session and you would have thought I was promoting a state income tax! I believe this would be acceptable to the Legislature, including our friends, only if other proposed changes don’t have the desired effect.

Regards,
Chas.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
strongsteve wrote: I am near 90 days now. I called last Monday and she said that it would be mailed on Thursday. It never was. I called this Monday and she said it would be mailed "today" (Monday). Well.. it still says "processing application" and a DL check still does not show an active CHL. I find it odd that the same person answers the phone everytime I call and that its that same person that answers my emails.. when they get answered. You call them and go through the darn answering system and think you will get a person but then the answering system comes on again and says the same stuff over again. Also, I heard that they only mail out licenses once a week.. that being Thursday yet this person yesterday said mine would go out "today". I have heard that twice before.. and it didnt happen. This whole thing is rediculous compared to other states that issue a CHL. By the time I get it, it will already be expired... SIGH!

What really burns me is that DPS had a $8million surplus in revenue generated by CHL fees as recently as 2 to 3 years ago. This money was supposedly transferred to the General Fund. This could easily have paid for more CHL processors.

There is an easy "fix" that will make things much easier and faster for DPS and that will bring the CHL requirements in compliance with the Texas Constitution. I suspect the "fix" will be introduced in 2007. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I have to presume the anti-gunners read this board, just as I keep up with the Brady Campaign web site on a weekly basis.

Another less likely and far more controversial method of dealing with the time delay is to require a partial or full refund of the CHL application fee, if the license isn’t issued on time. The amount of the refund would depend on how late the license was issued. I made this suggestion last session and you would have thought I was promoting a state income tax! I believe this would be acceptable to the Legislature, including our friends, only if other proposed changes don’t have the desired effect.

Regards,
Chas.

Is it true that all fees paid to DPS goes to the GF? We have some of the same "time problems" with the Private Security Bureau of DPS.
*CHL Instructor*

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

txinvestigator wrote:Is it true that all fees paid to DPS goes to the GF? We have some of the same "time problems" with the Private Security Bureau of DPS.
There is far more I don't know about Texas agency appropriations than I do know! It is my understanding that currently it's all "state money," but when we were trying to use the $8million surplus as a basis for reducing the CHL fees, it was reported to us that it was a surplus in the "Concealed Handgun Account." I don't recall if this was in the General Revenue Account, or if it was on DPS' books. In all candor, we didn't care if it was truly their money to spend, or if it went into the state coffers, because the fee was supposed to be set at an amount to cover the cost of processing and it was clearly too high. If I recall correctly, the Fiscal Note that went along with SB60 in 1995 had projected an excess of expenses over revenue in CHL licensing the first year (1996), a surplus in 1997 and then a zero effect (expenses = revenue) from then on. By 1997 or 1998, there was a large surplus that only got bigger. I'll try to find the Fiscal Note if anyone is interested.

As for Private Security licenses, the background checks may be processed by the same unit at DPS. I've been told that what used to be solely a CHL department now has to process other applications, at least as far as background checks are concerned, but I have not confirmed that information.

Chas.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:Is it true that all fees paid to DPS goes to the GF? We have some of the same "time problems" with the Private Security Bureau of DPS.
There is far more I don't know about Texas agency appropriations than I do know! It is my understanding that currently it's all "state money," but when we were trying to use the $8million surplus as a basis for reducing the CHL fees, it was reported to us that it was a surplus in the "Concealed Handgun Account." I don't recall if this was in the General Revenue Account, or if it was on DPS' books. In all candor, we didn't care if it was truly their money to spend, or if it went into the state coffers, because the fee was supposed to be set at an amount to cover the cost of processing and it was clearly too high. If I recall correctly, the Fiscal Note that went along with SB60 in 1995 had projected an excess of expenses over revenue in CHL licensing the first year (1996), a surplus in 1997 and then a zero effect (expenses = revenue) from then on. By 1997 or 1998, there was a large surplus that only got bigger. I'll try to find the Fiscal Note if anyone is interested.

As for Private Security licenses, the background checks may be processed by the same unit at DPS. I've been told that what used to be solely a CHL department now has to process other applications, at least as far as background checks are concerned, but I have not confirmed that information.

Chas.
Thank you.
*CHL Instructor*

Topic author
strongsteve

Post by strongsteve »

ok.. here is the latest. I emailed today and demanded a response. She said that it was mailed today. (Tuesday). Yesterday, she swore to me that it was mailed today (Monday). The untruths continue to frustrate me. Website still says "processing" and DL check shows NO active CHL. I think that the entire DPS handgun division consists of ONE person and that is Ms. Leach. The funny thing is that the answering system always asks you to wait for the "next available technician" but it is always Leach..haha! What a mess!

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

strongsteve wrote:ok.. here is the latest. I emailed today and demanded a response. She said that it was mailed today. (Tuesday). Yesterday, she swore to me that it was mailed today (Monday). The untruths continue to frustrate me. Website still says "processing" and DL check shows NO active CHL. I think that the entire DPS handgun division consists of ONE person and that is Ms. Leach. The funny thing is that the answering system always asks you to wait for the "next available technician" but it is always Leach..haha! What a mess!
How are you running a DL check?
*CHL Instructor*

Topic author
strongsteve

Post by strongsteve »

A very good friend is a police dispatcher/NCIC operator.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

strongsteve wrote:A very good friend is a police dispatcher/NCIC operator.
Just an FYI, if your friend is discovered using TLETS/TCIC for non-Criminal Justice purposes he/she can have their certification pulled and be charged. TLETS and the FBI take this seriously. No offense towards you meant.
*CHL Instructor*

Topic author
strongsteve

Post by strongsteve »

No offense taken

Topic author
strongsteve

Post by strongsteve »

finally.. after 90 days, website says "application completed - license issued or certificate active"...... unbelievable.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”