"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

KurtFTW
Posts in topic: 31

Re: "Waiting Room"

Post by KurtFTW »

jweg84 wrote:
KurtFTW wrote:May I ask how you are checking your status? I only ask because since about midnight last night and even now I've tried to check the website and I keep getting told it's own for maintenance, but I can use my cell phone and it loads just fine. I'm curious if it's just me with the issue. Thanks.
I too was having issues on Friday night and most of the day yesterday. Seems to be working just fine today. Seems like they were having some website issues.
KurtFTW wrote:Also I found out that it's the link on the Texas DPS website that is acting up. If you go through Texas.gov it takes you to the status app just fine.
Yes. It's website issues. I stumbled upon the answer kind of by accident, but it's just an issue with the hyperlink on the Texas DPS website. :roll:
NRA 5 Year Member | Sig Sauer P320

Centex3kGT
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Centex3kGT »

KurtFTW wrote:I'm honestly not an IRC guy. Never have been. I prefer VoIP software mostly. Skype for example. But at least it's nice the option is there.
I like voip, but with my crippled network at home (I live out in the country, so the only options are SLOW), voip is not really practical. So I usually stick with text based.
Gun Control - (verb) -
1. To use both hands when aiming.

----------
Star Firestar M40

KurtFTW

Post by KurtFTW »

Centex3kGT wrote:
KurtFTW wrote:I'm honestly not an IRC guy. Never have been. I prefer VoIP software mostly. Skype for example. But at least it's nice the option is there.
I like voip, but with my crippled network at home (I live out in the country, so the only options are SLOW), voip is not really practical. So I usually stick with text based.
I grew up in the sticks of East Texas. Back then the best I could hope for was dial-up and that's if the county could keep from cutting our phone line every time they maintained the dirt road!! :lol:

So I get where you're coming from. I couldn't handle speeds that slow anymore. With all the things I do for work and also personal life I would be handicapped big time.

Centex3kGT
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Centex3kGT »

KurtFTW wrote:
Centex3kGT wrote:
I grew up in the sticks of East Texas. Back then the best I could hope for was dial-up and that's if the county could keep from cutting our phone line every time they maintained the dirt road!! :lol:

So I get where you're coming from. I couldn't handle speeds that slow anymore. With all the things I do for work and also personal life I would be handicapped big time.

When I say "slow", I mean 5mbps/2.5mbps. I have much faster net at work, and dont bring my work home with me. When I was a kid, I didn't even have dialup, (early 80's).
Gun Control - (verb) -
1. To use both hands when aiming.

----------
Star Firestar M40

3joe3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 3joe3 »

New to the forum and just applied for the CHL. This page is super informative... thanks to everyone.

I'm curious about the submission. I applied and submitted all documents last week. Will I receive a confirmation telling me everything is received? I'd hate to wait for my license not knowing if I completed everything correctly.

12/6: CHL application completed
12/9: CHL-100 submitted via the website
12/9: Electronic fingerprints taken (assuming I don't need to submit any paperwork on this... it is automatic, correct?).

KurtFTW

Post by KurtFTW »

3joe3 wrote:New to the forum and just applied for the CHL. This page is super informative... thanks to everyone.

I'm curious about the submission. I applied and submitted all documents last week. Will I receive a confirmation telling me everything is received? I'd hate to wait for my license not knowing if I completed everything correctly.

12/9: Electronic fingerprints taken (assuming I don't need to submit any paperwork on this... it is automatic, correct?).
You should have gotten an email with a barcode and a checklist after submitting your application. Also, yes you do not have to submit anything for the fingerprints. All that is done for you by the technician taking your prints.

As far as a confirmation, no they do not send you any kind of email confirmation. You can call/email and ask, but you're most likely to get a cookie cutter response that once they receive the application they have 60 days to issue a new license or 45 days for a renewal.

You can check: https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/ and see if there's any information, but if you haven't checked since submitting then you're not likely to see any details until the bulk majority of the application has been processed already.

Brandoncm
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Brandoncm »

3joe3 wrote:New to the forum and just applied for the CHL. This page is super informative... thanks to everyone.

If you submitted any documents via online, you should get a confirmation email stating that your documents were received. This typically takes 1-2 business days if you're lucky. After your confirmation of documemts email, you now will begin the "waiting" game. The next step may take a couple of weeks which is when your application is going through the beginning stages. During this period you most likely will not see any status changes via the website until they reach your fingerprint and background review. If you have a clean background expect this to not take too much time. However, if you have anything on your background report that you did not acknowledge, you will receive "the letter" asking for more information. This will put your app back into holding. Once you submit any additional documents requested, they now have 180 days to finish processing your app instead of the original 60. I can assure you that calling the RSD will not encourage them to process your app any faster and you will not receive any information from them about your app other than that your app is in process and this is the amount of time we have... Good Luck! Hope this helps you and any other new LTC Applicant.

KurtFTW

Post by KurtFTW »

KurtFTW wrote:
KurtFTW wrote:
KurtFTW wrote:
KurtFTW wrote:Hello, I'm new to the forum. I saw a thread made by someone experiencing the same trouble I am.

Submitted Application: 11/10/16
Submitted Fingerprints: 11/11/16
Submitted CHL-100 prior to this because I had an old application on file and was told via email that they were just waiting on my fingerprints and CHL-100. Only to be told later the application was too old(nearly 3 years...don't judge :lol: ) and that I would need to resubmit an application and fingerprints.

At first the website showed a status of Application Submitted.
Since then it has not updated at all and shows no status whatsoever.

Emailing only gets a cookie cutter reply.

Should I call and inquire or do you think I just need to cool my jets and let nature take it's course?
Letting nature take it's course was the right call. Woke up this morning bound and determined to call today if no updated status was available when... 12/02/16

Now I'm just waiting on that background check then we'll be all green!
Well here it is Dec 6th. with no change to my background check status. Also I'm out of town which makes me wonder if I'll get home to find a letter from RSD asking for more information from me. I'll keep watching this week.
12/08/16 - Background Check: Complete
12/08/16 - Print Pending :hurry:
12/12/16 - License To Carry A Handgun: Mailed :anamatedbanana :woohoo :anamatedbanana
Now to sit back and stalk the mailbox!!!

Last edited by KurtFTW on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TK_421
Posts in topic: 13

Post by TK_421 »

Hi all, quick question that I don't think merits its own separate post.

Current status as of 12/10:
Citizenship: no documentation received, notice sent
Passport photo holder (out of state): under review
Background check: under review
LTC: print pending

I was born in Mexico but became a citizen over 10 years ago. Didn't even think to send in those documents with everything else when first applying so I sent in both my naturalization certificate and passport on Sunday 12/11. I haven't received the email saying those documents were received yet but when I sent in my LTC class forms I got that email almost immediately.

Also, I only scanned the front of the certificate and ID/photo pages of my passport. Is it really necessary to scan the backs of those as well?
DFW
P320

DE28
Posts in topic: 5

Post by DE28 »

My background check just cleared today! :hurry:
Now I'm on "Printing Pending"... :clapping:
Let's see how long does it take to be mailed! And arrive home....

KurtFTW

Post by KurtFTW »

DE28 wrote:My background check just cleared today! :hurry:
It took 5 days for me and my friend to go from print pending to mailed. I'm curious to see how long it takes for yours.

DE28
Posts in topic: 5

Post by DE28 »

KurtFTW wrote:
DE28 wrote:My background check just cleared today! :hurry:
It took 5 days for me and my friend to go from print pending to mailed. I'm curious to see how long it takes for yours.
Thank you! Not fast enough... like a kid waiting for Christmas! I'll keep you updated!

jweg84
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jweg84 »

Today was business day number 3 since mine said print pending. Hopefully gets mailed out tomorrow...... *fingers crossed*
S&W M&P Shield 9mm rides around town in a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0

KurtFTW

Post by KurtFTW »

jweg84 wrote:Today was business day number 3 since mine said print pending. Hopefully gets mailed out tomorrow...... *fingers crossed*
You just might. If we go by business days then it was 3 days between update to print pending and update to mailed for me. I'm just in stakeout mode now stalking my mailbox. If I had a rifle and ghillie suit, I'd be hiding out in the bushes with my scope trained on the mailbox! "rlol"

KurtFTW

Post by KurtFTW »

TK_421 wrote:Hi all, quick question that I don't think merits its own separate post.

Current status as of 12/10:
Citizenship: no documentation received, notice sent
Passport photo holder (out of state): under review
Background check: under review
LTC: print pending

I was born in Mexico but became a citizen over 10 years ago. Didn't even think to send in those documents with everything else when first applying so I sent in both my naturalization certificate and passport on Sunday 12/11. I haven't received the email saying those documents were received yet but when I sent in my LTC class forms I got that email almost immediately.

Also, I only scanned the front of the certificate and ID/photo pages of my passport. Is it really necessary to scan the backs of those as well?
I was reading through the Government Code for your answer(s).

Sec. 411.172. ELIGIBILITY. (a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a handgun if the person:
(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a)

Sec. 411.174. APPLICATION. (a) An applicant for a license to carry a handgun must submit to the director's designee described by Section 411.176:
(4) proof of residency in this state;

(b) An applicant must provide on the application a statement of the applicant's:
(3) residence and business addresses for the preceding five years;

Based on that, I would say you have met the requirements. As far as taking a copy of the back of the passport. If it's the book type passport then I do not see why it would be necessary to send in a copy of the back of the photo page. If it's the card type, then I would have just to be on the safe side, but still I do not see that it would have been necessary.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”