you don't know what waiting is until....

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
kw5kw
Posts in topic: 1

you don't know what waiting is until....

Post by kw5kw »

The wait...
I remember mine...

My CHL from Austin took almost 4 months for my first license to come in 4 years ago. Now I'm waiting for my renewal... no big deal unless the renewal doesn't come in before my birthday. If it doesn't, then I can't carry until it does.

But, I can undrstand why it takes the DPS so long. They have to make sure that you are you, and that you are 'squeaky clean.' They MUST issue a license if you are, and they're really taking time to make sure. That's ok, because I want to know that I'm as clean as my gun barrel when it comes in, and by carrying said license that is telling other people that I'm clean as well.

But, my other license... my Federal Communications Commission issued radio license way back there '92. Now that was take a test... pass and wait. Wait for no reason other than a piece of paper that says you can transmit. You're cleared by passing the test but you just can't press the PTT until you get that precious document... It's worse than not packing because you can actually take your radio with you and listen to other people talk, you have passed the test, you have the paper to prove it... you just can't talk------------ talk about beating a path to the mail box.

Oh, I was able to wait for my CHL a lot more patient after that.

Since then, the FCC has placed on their web pages a place that you can check to see if you've been issued your callsign. Once you see that the FCC has issued you can print that and begin transmitting before you get your license in the mail.

It would be nice if TX CHL would do the same.

I thought this might help ease some of your pain at waiting so long.

How about posting some other types of waiting here to help take our minds off of waiting for the CHL's to arrive.

73's

Russ

AC

Post by AC »

Other type of waiting, but still related...I'm waiting for my Milt Sparks holster. I ordered it before I sent in my CHL, they quoted a 14-20 week wait time. Now with my delay, it's going to be a race to get here first!

Diode
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Diode »

Ditto on the holster, I ordered a Crossbreed IWB. They replied that it would take 4-6 weeks to make and ship. I wrote back and explained I didn't need a special cow grown just for my new holster, any old cow hide would do. They got quite a chuckle out of that and said, still was going to take 4-6 weeks but they like my humor. :cool:

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Waiting for a security clearance to come in isn't bad. Everywhere I've worked and needed a clearance, the Security Department always issued an interim clearance.

The worst wait is waiting for UPS/FedEx/USPS to deliver a new toy. Like when I order new parts for my car, or a new computer item. Once you get that tracking number from the online vendor, you check that thing every hour.

Diode
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Diode »

propellerhead wrote:Waiting for a security clearance to come in isn't bad. Everywhere I've worked and needed a clearance, the Security Department always issued an interim clearance.

The worst wait is waiting for UPS/FedEx/USPS to deliver a new toy. Like when I order new parts for my car, or a new computer item. Once you get that tracking number from the online vendor, you check that thing every hour.
I do that too, what's really fun is whenI forget I order something and a box shows up and it's like Christmas...... but usually I track it! :roll:

Bones3

Post by Bones3 »

Still waiting on my Rafter S gunbelt. Two more weeks if the gods are good.

:banghead:
Bones
Texas CHL Holder

KD5NRH

Been there, done that...

Post by KD5NRH »

...got the callsign, still waiting on the CHL, and the Coronado vest that SWMBO ordered for me for my birthday. Already got the hat to match it, so we'll see who's faster; DPS or Coronado's backorder processing.

In the meantime, my 1911 is back from the gunsmith today with a trigger job that has shrunk my groups quite noticeably, so maybe I won't do quite so poorly at the range this weekend. :fire

Busykngt

Re: you don't know what waiting is until....

Post by Busykngt »

My most recent "long wait" for something was 7 months 3 weeks and 1 day (from the time I paid my money to the time I had the product in my hands). And most all of that time was waiting on the BATFE for a "tax stamp" on a .22-cal silencer. If you ever want a silencer, you've got to have the patience of Job. :totap:

CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

Busykngt wrote:My most recent "long wait" for something was 7 months 3 weeks and 1 day (from the time I paid my money to the time I had the product in my hands). And most all of that time was waiting on the BATFE for a "tax stamp" on a .22-cal silencer. If you ever want a silencer, you've got to have the patience of Job. :totap:
Welcome to the forum!
The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. -Thomas Jefferson
Never Shoot a Large Caliber Man with a Small Caliber Bullet
IANAL - Please do not assume anything in my posts is legal advice

Thomas Hagemeier

Post by Thomas Hagemeier »

I know the original poster started this thread in 2006 but I sympathize because I went through the same thing. I am a ham radio operator and was listening for months on all the band's and dying to key up and talk but.... I couldn't yet even though I passed my first test. It took months for my license to arrive.

I took my class for my CHL Saturday Sept 13 and I'm back to the same wait game. Kinda reminds you of Christmas time in your childhood. Those presents under the tree have YOUR name on it but you can't have them yet.
Believer in God, happily married,
Love dogs, patriot, Lifetime NRA,
And Keyboard Rambo

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”