Coupla' empty chairs here? ;-)

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
sparx
Posts in topic: 5

Coupla' empty chairs here? ;-)

Post by sparx »

Well finally! As of Saturday my wife and I both completed our CHL class, and the packets ware mailed off to Austin today. :grin:

Now, the long wait.

I was really proud of my wife, as she did very well, both on the written and range tests. It seems like it was only yesterday that I was attempting to bring her up from a .22 to at least a 9mm in caliber increments! I told her about llwatson's suggestion of having someone else work with her, but she wouldn't hear of it (she thinks I'm a great teacher... I'm sure there's no bias there! ;-) ), so we spent many fun and pressure-less trips to the range with her working up the caliber ladder along the way at whatever speed she felt like going.

She's still hunting for a good SD handgun with a nice-fitting grip that molds to her tiny hands like her P22 does, though at least now she is confident that she won't have any trouble using the GLOCK 19 if she needs to, and really enjoys shooting it. After she shot a .380 I think she realized that muzzle flip was nothing to fear, and when I mentioned that the little .380 she had just shot actually had more muzzle flip than the G19 due to its smaller size, she was itching to give it a go and didn't look back. She used the G19 for the range test and scored 236. I was very pleased with myself, too. Although I didn't "ace" the entire class, I did ace the written test but due to two fliers at 15 yrds, scored a 247 on the range test.

We're both really just happy to have passed and once our Return Reciepts for the mailings have been signed and sent back to us, we'll begin that 60-day countdown and see how quickly/slowly things go from there.
NRA, TSRA, TXGR, SAF, GOA & FPC
"I'm not terrified of guns, I'm terrified of gun-free zones!"

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txinvestigator »

Great. Do you mind telling us where you took your class and how you felt the instruction was?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Diode
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Diode »

Way to go....

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

Congrats to you and the wife too!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
sparx

Post by sparx »

txinvestigator wrote:Great. Do you mind telling us where you took your class and how you felt the instruction was?
Sure! We took it from Sgt. McGuire of the Fort Worth PD as part of the Safe Shot CHL course. It was very good and although he was humorous in parts and with many of his responses (which helped keep everything active and upbeat for the most part), he definitely doesn't tolerate nonsense or non-safe issues. There were 38 people in the class, and out of them 1 that forced him to demonstrate that last part.

I must say, even though the range we've frequented many Sunday afternoons since March (The Shooters Club, though I've not had the opportunity to meet llwatson yet) also offers the CHL course, we were on a pretty tight budget to get it, with all the range practice we were putting in (including a few rentals) and budgeting for Kathy's upcoming SD handgun. Therefore we were sadly disloyal to TSC and went with the cheapest CHL class we could find within reasonable driving distance, knowing we would also have to double-up on the State's set share. :oops: (Though a couple of the TSC personal defense classes are on our agenda, llwatson... just so you know!) ;-)

The instruction was very good and thorough, and he covered everything that was on the quiz and then some. I think I did so well on the test due to reading and re-reading the 2005-2006 Texas CH laws so many times while waiting for Kathy to feel ready to take the class, that when combined with the learning, lurking, and visiting here on TexasCHLforum, etc., there was perhaps less for me to absorb and retain than others needed to. There were a few areas where we were instructed to "listen up," as the material covered would definitely relate to something on the quiz, or have confused others in the past.

Sgt. McGuire said at the onset that nobody would fail the range test, as he would work with them until they passed if necessary, and indeed nobody failed. Even that "1" person that he had some safety issues with passed, although he stayed around after everyone was through and continued to work with that person with a few more magazines of ammo, as that was the first time they had ever shot a gun. Most of the other's didn't see it, as I was on the third string (a partial one at that, as there were 16 people to the line) to take the range test so almost everyone had already been given their scores/packets and gone home except for those of us that weren't done yet, and that person (which was on the first string). That showed me that although he's no-bull, he does care, which is good.

Oh, and BTW txinvestigator, I also have the DFW Gun Range on our agenda, too. We haven't made a trip into Dallas in a while, but will eventually. I've thoroughly enjoyed learning from you and look forward to seeing the place.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

wow, 38 people is HUGE. Did he have help on the range, or did he have to manage that by himself?
*CHL Instructor*

Topic author
sparx

Post by sparx »

txinvestigator wrote:wow, 38 people is HUGE. Did he have help on the range, or did he have to manage that by himself?
Yes, actually his brother was there at the range to help as assistant range master for the left half (8 people) on each of the lines. He basically repeated what Sgt. McGuire said so everyone was on the same page, watched for safety violations and helped some with their grips, aiming, etc. Sgt. McGuire called all the shots and used his whistle to start the timed firing. The range test was given at the Alpine Shooting Range at the end section of their .22/pistol range cages.

With regards to the number of people that attended the class, approximately 8-12 (a guess-timate) were there for renewal, and arrived right after the lunch break. As well, two of the people on the last string of shooters said they were "just practicing" and were not scored (and neither had taken part in a previous line), so I don't know if they were there as part of a training program, or what. One shot very well (which lead me to suspect a training program), and the other one shot OK, but could use more practice if they were to be a trainer (which lead me to the "or what").

I also think (but have no confirmation as to its factualness) that the number of attendees would be larger than "normal" for a class given elsewhere, as Safe Shot only does one class a month. I would have liked one more Sunday at the range with Kathy before taking the class, but neither of us wanted to wait another month for the next class to roll around.

Quite a few of us showed up a little early (~7:45 AM) so he went ahead and got an early start on the passport photos, and he had a lady there as well that would pull us aside for the fingerprint routine (the only discussion missed was during the few minutes spent in the restroom washing the ink off our fingers... I think a bar of Lava soap would have shortened that even further), prepared the photo holders and then entered the info and printed the course completion certificates "suitable for framing". ;-)

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Sounds like a great and well run class. Let us know when that license arrives!!
*CHL Instructor*

Topic author
sparx

Post by sparx »

Will do txinvestigator, and thanks to everyone for the congrats! :cheers2:

Skipper5
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skipper5 »

good luck to you and your wife....my wife's first shooting expeience was with a Glock and eventually moved over to the Sig 232 .380 which really fits her hand(s) well....

38 is a large class....our class was a private one I put together with just 7 of us + 1 renewal after lunch ....our instructor was George Wiley...Chief Instructor DPD and armourer for Dept.... I thought this would be a better envirnoment for my wife...and her lack of experience at that point....

Not only does she already have her CHL ...but weekly continues to outshoot me at the range to boot!!

Haha.. oh well...

Stick with the Forums...they are full of great advice and good friends during the next few weeks or so!
And congrats on your class
//John
Last edited by Skipper5 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

sparx wrote: I must say, even though the range we've frequented many Sunday afternoons since March (The Shooters Club, though I've not had the opportunity to meet llwatson yet) also offers the CHL course, we were on a pretty tight budget to get it, with all the range practice we were putting in (including a few rentals) and budgeting for Kathy's upcoming SD handgun. Therefore we were sadly disloyal to TSC and went with the cheapest CHL class we could find within reasonable driving distance, knowing we would also have to double-up on the State's set share. :oops: (Though a couple of the TSC personal defense classes are on our agenda, llwatson... just so you know!) ;-)
Sparx,

If you only go the range on Sunday, you will never see me, unless I happen to be in there shooting. I have a real job that keeps me busy through the week, and am only at The Shooter's Club on Saturdays. Someday I hope to change that, but right now, I still gotta pay the bills!

You may be waiting awhile getting into a personal defense class. Jerry teaches that, and he is gone fishing... maybe until the fall. So, probably about the time you get your license, he will schedule another class.

Until then... happy shooting.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
sparx

Post by sparx »

llwatson wrote:If you only go the range on Sunday, you will never see me, unless I happen to be in there shooting. I have a real job that keeps me busy through the week, and am only at The Shooter's Club on Saturdays. Someday I hope to change that, but right now, I still gotta pay the bills!
Yes, it's only been Sunday afternoons. A bunch of great guys there and we've enjoyed meeting every one of them! I know how the "work-crunch" goes and if I don't watch my budget I'll be looking for a Saturday job myself!
You may be waiting awhile getting into a personal defense class. Jerry teaches that, and he is gone fishing... maybe until the fall. So, probably about the time you get your license, he will schedule another class.
That will be fine by us, as we probably wouldn't be able to take it until around then anyway. We just got back from a week-long fishing trip last week... sure would have liked to of extended that one until fall! We got the chance to do a little fishing at a pond on a farm outside Rising Star and caught some really nice-sized bass, bluegill and crappie.
Until then... happy shooting.
You can count on it! Thanks!

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”