First weekend with a CHL

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
barres
Posts in topic: 1

First weekend with a CHL

Post by barres »

This past weekend was my first with my CHL. I carried any time I was dressed. By Saturday evening, I stopped constantly watching people's faces to see if they recognized my gun. I knew it was concealed, but I couldn't shake the feeling that "Someone" might notice it somehow for a while. By yesterday, I was relatively comfortable with the fact that nobody else knew I was packing.

One thing I did slip on several times over the weekend, though. I need to be more diligent in looking for 30.06 signs. There were a few times I was leaving a business that I realized I hadn't checked very well on my way in. I looked as I left, and never saw one, but I need to make checking on my way IN a habit. Just because I have yet to ever see an enforceable 30.06 sign does not mean there isn't one lurking out there somewhere :evil2: . (Yes, I have apparently led a sheltered life.)

For those of you waiting for the DPS to process your app, I suggest that you get in the habit of looking for 30.06 signs now.

spud

Post by spud »

+1 on looking for 30.06 signs. I look everywhere I go, so far the only place I have found is Grapevine Mills, And I wont ever go back.

As for your 1st weekend, Congrats. Im hoping I have my stuff together enough to not freak out too much.

Skipper5

Re: First weekend with a CHL

Post by Skipper5 »

barres wrote:This past weekend was my first with my CHL. I carried any time I was dressed. By Saturday evening, I stopped constantly watching people's faces to see if they recognized my gun. I knew it was concealed, but I couldn't shake the feeling that "Someone" might notice it somehow for a while. By yesterday, I was relatively comfortable with the fact that nobody else knew I was packing.

One thing I did slip on several times over the weekend, though. I need to be more diligent in looking for 30.06 signs. There were a few times I was leaving a business that I realized I hadn't checked very well on my way in. I looked as I left, and never saw one, but I need to make checking on my way IN a habit. Just because I have yet to ever see an enforceable 30.06 sign does not mean there isn't one lurking out there somewhere :evil2: . (Yes, I have apparently led a sheltered life.)

For those of you waiting for the DPS to process your app, I suggest that you get in the habit of looking for 30.06 signs now.
LOL...as to 'people looking at you'... and as you say, that feeling does go away after awhile....and good advice to those in Waiting Room right now...practice carry at home and look out for 30.06s out there.
//again congrats!!
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

There really are not that many places that post a correct 30.06 sign. If you are a person who follows a fairly regular routine - you go to work at the same place everyday, buy gas and groceries and the same place, use the same dry cleaner, bank, etc - it won't take you very long to scope those places out and know where you are welcome and where you are not.

I make a habit of looking for the signs everywhere I go, since I am an instructor. I carry a camera in the car and take pictures of wrong signs, stupid signs, and the very few correct signs to use for classroom examples. And you know, some businesses get REALLY offended when you ask to take a picture of their sign! Go figure.

Anyway, glad to know you are practicing carrying. It won't be long before you will feel "undressed" without it.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”