How long in Background Check Review?

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

How long did your application stay in Background Check Review?

<7 days
16%
7-14 days
17%
15-21 days
21%
22-28 days
21%
>28 days
26%

Total votes: 58

Topic author
reverendxlt
Posts in topic: 6

How long in Background Check Review?

Post by reverendxlt »

Getting antsy, thought I would post a poll while I simmer in Background Check Review... I have a squeaky clean record, so just trying to get a feel for how long it "might" be :coolgleamA:
05-17-2012 Packet Sent Certified
05-21-2012 Packet Received by DPS
06-26-2012 Mailed

barstoolguru
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How long in Background Check Review?

Post by barstoolguru »

I did my paperwork 30 days before my class and then 30 after the mailing it came in the mail. you need to chill out, you went this long with out it, relax
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

Topic author
reverendxlt

Post by reverendxlt »

thanks for that bit of exceeding yet unsolicited wisdom... :headscratch
06-26-2012 Mailed

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longtooth »

:coolgleamA: :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jrandyw

Post by jrandyw »

I can certainly understand the frustration. My docs were acknowledged on 5/24/12 and I came out of BG review on 6/8/12. I was pleasantly surprised because I have a common name and I've had problems with false positives on work related background checks in the past.

How long have you lived in Texas? Have you moved much? Just trying to figure out if there's a pattern. I moved to Texas in mid 2000. I moved inside of Texas in 2004 & 2006, but have been in the same spot since.

Clean record aside from two speeding tickets in FL in the early 1990s.
6/16/12 CHL
NRA Member

Tbucher1218

Post by Tbucher1218 »

I went into BR on Aprill 11 and didn't come out until May 30th. 50 days in BR.
02/27/12 Online App
06/06/12 Plastic in Hand. 71 Days!

Topic author
reverendxlt

Post by reverendxlt »

I was born In San Antonio... have lived in SA, Dallas (couple different places in each of those), and El Paso. Have had a few speeding tickets (LONG time ago...). Still in BCR...

The pattern is probably more relative to the workload on the desk than those things, at least for a pretty clean record...
06-26-2012 Mailed

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

Sorry you think I was being rude but all I was saying is it will happen if you are clean. You have to remember they are bogged down and you’re one out of thousands. Nothing changes when you get a CHL but your clothing and the way you act in public. It will come in the mail and for the first week or two you will act different until the new wears off and then life goes back to normal or at least I hope for you it does
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

Kadelic

Post by Kadelic »

Mine spent 9 days in background check review. 39 days mailbox to mailbox.
Honor Necessity

BKRushing
Posts in topic: 5

Post by BKRushing »

Man this wait is a beast! And I am known for being extremely patient. I took my CHL class 5/16, Fingerprints 5/17, mailed packet 5/18, went to Background Review 5/28 and have been sitting there ever since. I wonder if having lived out of state for two years is the big holdup. You would think having a state issued insurance agent license (which requires a background check) would speed things up a little. Was hoping to have this before I left for vacation on July 1st. Guess that is out the window now.

Such is life.
Glovebox & EDC: Glock 26 9mm
Summer Carry: Ruger LCP .380

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

It was less than 40 days mailbox to mailbox for both my husband and I. Me 1/20-2/27 and him 3/26-5/5. I didn't check his status, but mine stayed in "waiting to receive all materials" longer than anything else. Not sure if there IS a pattern. :headscratch Hope you guys get plastic soon!
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

Topic author
reverendxlt

Post by reverendxlt »

My packet was received 5/21... still in BCR also. I was also hoping to have mine before a trip first week of July. I guess it might still be possible. Still at less than 30 days in their hands though, so I can't really complain .... yet :).
06-26-2012 Mailed

Valor

Post by Valor »

BKRushing wrote:Man this wait is a beast! And I am known for being extremely patient. I took my CHL class 5/16, Fingerprints 5/17, mailed packet 5/18, went to Background Review 5/28 and have been sitting there ever since. I wonder if having lived out of state for two years is the big holdup. You would think having a state issued insurance agent license (which requires a background check) would speed things up a little. Was hoping to have this before I left for vacation on July 1st. Guess that is out the window now.

Such is life.
Probably just depends on who desk the application lands on. But at this point, looks like the license will be waiting for you when you return from vaca.

TX RHino

Post by TX RHino »

To me......This is one of those times where the Internet and this "Age of Information" does more harm than good. In the old days you just waited by the mail box for something to show up....... Now we can follow every step which urges most people to check at least daily..... Not wanting to miss something :roll:

BKRushing
Posts in topic: 5

Post by BKRushing »

TX RHino wrote:To me......This is one of those times where the Internet and this "Age of Information" does more harm than good. In the old days you just waited by the mail box for something to show up....... Now we can follow every step which urges most people to check at least daily..... Not wanting to miss something :roll:

Truer words have never been spoken, my friend.
Glovebox & EDC: Glock 26 9mm
Summer Carry: Ruger LCP .380

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”