May 2014

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

jeffdick
Posts in topic: 26

Re: May 2014

Post by jeffdick »

Last one for May. Finally got mine in the mail yesterday! :woohoo
Submitted all documets - 5/19

sly817
Posts in topic: 14

Post by sly817 »

jeffdick wrote:Last one for May. Finally got mine in the mail yesterday! :woohoo

CONGRATS!@!!!!
04/24/14 - Application Submitted
04/28/14 - Finger Prints
05/10/14 - Class Completion
05/12/14 - Mailed Via USPS
05/14/14 - Delivered Via USPS
07/31/14 - Status Change Allowing Change of Address ad Report Lost or Stolen Card

llucas
Posts in topic: 20

Post by llucas »

jeffdick wrote:Last one for May. Finally got mine in the mail yesterday! :woohoo
Actually, you are not the last one from May -- but I may be. The last time I phoned DPS I was in background check status. I received a letter wanting more documentation -- FBI found an arrest from when I was a kid, 46 years ago. Strange that they did not also note that I do not have a criminal record associated with that arrest. Also weird because I have passed the FBI NICS background check when purchasing firearms. I am always delayed with NICS and now I know why. I had to contact the county Superior Court and get a criminal background check showing that I do not have a criminal record. That info arrived a few days ago and was faxed yesterday to DPS. I had contacted the DOJ in California prior to applying for the CHL, and obtained a fingerprint based background check. Their letter in response also said no criminal history -- I also forwarded that letter to DPS yesterday. After receiving that letter from DOJ and before I had applied for the CHL I called the California DOJ to tell them I needed documentation that I had no criminal history I was told, "No arrest record and no criminal history. As far as we are concerned it never happened. Answer "no" on any application regarding arrests." That particular advice from the DOJ was not good advice, but DPS now has proof that no criminal record associated with that arrest exists. It was so long ago I did not even remember the year in which it occurred.

83 days and counting. :banghead:
4/23/14 -- applied online; 4/29/14 -- electronic fingerprints.
5/7/14 -- docs uploaded on chl site; 5/13/14 -- docs mailed.
9/5/14 -- plastic arrived in the mailbox

jeffdick

Post by jeffdick »

llucas wrote:
Actually, you are not the last one from May -- but I may be. The last time I phoned DPS I was in background check status. I received a letter wanting more documentation -- FBI found an arrest from when I was a kid, 46 years ago. Strange that they did not also note that I do not have a criminal record associated with that arrest. Also weird because I have passed the FBI NICS background check when purchasing firearms. I am always delayed with NICS and now I know why. I had to contact the county Superior Court and get a criminal background check showing that I do not have a criminal record. That info arrived a few days ago and was faxed yesterday to DPS. I had contacted the DOJ in California prior to applying for the CHL, and obtained a fingerprint based background check. Their letter in response also said no criminal history -- I also forwarded that letter to DPS yesterday. After receiving that letter from DOJ and before I had applied for the CHL I called the California DOJ to tell them I needed documentation that I had no criminal history I was told, "No arrest record and no criminal history. As far as we are concerned it never happened. Answer "no" on any application regarding arrests." That particular advice from the DOJ was not good advice, but DPS now has proof that no criminal record associated with that arrest exists. It was so long ago I did not even remember the year in which it occurred.

83 days and counting. :banghead:
CALL YOUR STATE REP AND STATE SENATOR. THEY WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP!
Submitted all documets - 5/19

llucas

Post by llucas »

I called to make sure the fax arrived since paperwork seems to disappear into a void. It was received by the person who is processing my file. I asked how long it might be before my application is finished. I was told that the agent is now working on other files and it would be more time. It sounds like my file was moved to the bottom of the pile again. The person did say that they are inundated with applications and the State has not hired any additional help. I'll give it another week or two. If no movement I will contact my State rep.

llucas

Post by llucas »

. . . still waiting. :confused5

jmra
Posts in topic: 42

Post by jmra »

llucas wrote:. . . still waiting. :confused5
Have you contacted your state rep? Many Aug applicants are reporting turn arounds of less than 2 weeks. They can't be that far behind.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

llucas

Post by llucas »

jmra wrote:
llucas wrote:. . . still waiting. :confused5
Have you contacted your state rep? Many Aug applicants are reporting turn arounds of less than 2 weeks. They can't be that far behind.
Not yet. I ordered a certified letter from the Superior Court stating I have no criminal record, since I have not received the requested feedback on whether or not the email response from the Court is sufficient. That is what they asked for in the additional information letter. I faxed the initial email reply from the Court, but decided to provide literally what they requested. Certified letter on letterhead with a court seal hould be here any day, but in the meantime all I hear from DPS CHL is the sound of crickets. Still waiting. After I fax the certified letter from the Court I will definitely contact my State Rep. It is now over 90 days and no final action.

llucas

Post by llucas »

I miscounted. It is now 104 days since I first submitted the materials. Less workdays than that number -- but far too long. :nono:

llucas

Post by llucas »

Friday I received a call from the person handling my application process. She wanted a copy of the letter with the Court Clerk's certification of search. No problem, it was already ordered and came in the mail on Saturday. I faxed it on Sunday and called in today to see if it was received and if they are ready to issue my license. CHL took a message and I am waiting for the return call. Hopefully this will mark the end of the wait.

mtnthundr2

Post by mtnthundr2 »

:iagree:

At least you know they're working on it now anyway......what a long wait though :grumble
5-28-14 Upload documents - 6-26-14 plastic in hand
~ Never let your fear decide your fate ~

llucas

Post by llucas »

I received a phone call yesterday from the person processing my application. She said the final documents I faxed reached her and my application is cleared and they should issue plastic in about two weeks. Good news, but I am wondering why two more weeks? :confused5 Nothing has changed on the website, no new change your address links as others have experienced. Hopefully soon as I am well over 100 days at this point.

mtnthundr2

Post by mtnthundr2 »

I think they usually give themselves a good cushion of time when notifying someone of the completion/approval of their application. Once you see the changes on the website you should have the plastic in a week or less and I'm guessing you'll see the change on the website by Monday.....keep your chin up, you're almost there!!

llucas

Post by llucas »

mtnthundr2 wrote:I think they usually give themselves a good cushion of time when notifying someone of the completion/approval of their application. Once you see the changes on the website you should have the plastic in a week or less and I'm guessing you'll see the change on the website by Monday.....keep your chin up, you're almost there!!
I checked the website this morning (Saturday) and was surprised to see that change of address links, etc. were there! Looks like plastic will arrive soon and the last man standing from May will be leaving the Waiting Room! :thumbs2: :woohoo

mtnthundr2

Post by mtnthundr2 »

:iagree:

That's great news for sure!! Be sure to let us know when it arrives

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”