Not sure what is gong on with my app...

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jaystekan
Posts in topic: 3

Not sure what is gong on with my app...

Post by jaystekan »

So, I am military living in Texas. I applied for an non-resident CHL as I am living on a military base here in texas and would rather not change my drivers license over. Anyway, my timeline....
Prints taken Sept 15th
CHL-100 and supporting documents sent priority mail on the 14th of Sept.
Received a letter in the mail yesterday more than a month after my original submission asking for a copy of my CA drivers license.

So, what's wrong with this picture......
1-I have never lived to in CA, never received a CA license, nothing to do with CA.
2-The letter I received was dated for October 18th. a month after I submitted my original paperwork, Does it take them that long to flag something as missing?
3- The letter took 2 weeks from being printed to be delivered to my address here in Texas.

I called DPS last night around 430, talked to a very helpful lady, wish I had gotten her name, and she looked at my application on her computer. She told me that my application on the computer had everything necessary, there were no missing documents. She has no idea why I was sent a letter asking for a CA license, nothing in my paperwork says anything about it, she has no idea why it took a month to send the letter asking for the license, if it was indeed necessary to send. The helpful woman said if I had called earlier, she would call over to the other office and ask an agent what was going on, she then told me that unfortunately I had called too late in the afternoon, and that even though it wasn't quite quitting time, it was close enough to quitting time that no one would be answering their phones over there. Anyway, she told me she would try to look into it later in the week and email me what she finds out. hopefully she doesn't forget to help me out. Long story short, my application is in limbo for a reason that neither I nor the lady at DPS can figure out.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Not sure what is gong on with my app...

Post by Pariah3j »

Ouch - that sucks. I don't know if non-resident LTC takes any longer then resident, but I submitted my paperwork online about the same time as you did and I have only had my plastic for a little less then 2 weeks now. (Showed up in the mailbox I think on Friday the 23rd.) I was talking to another forum member who submitted about the same time I did and got his in about a week after me, so you aren't that far behind the curve. I would give it a day or 2 and see if you get a response, if not try calling the DPS back at an earlier time in the day to see if they can't tell you why you are being flagged for a licence in CA(sounds like a possible clerical error ?).

Edit: I actually got my card on Friday the 16th. Looked that calendar wrong earlier.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

infoman

Post by infoman »

I know you're required to send a clear front & back copy of your out of state driver's license. You would also have to send passport photos, CHL-6 form, CHL-100, copy of military ID card front & back, & recent LES statement. Also born out of country document (if that applies to you). Did you send them ALL the above?

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

It has been reported on this forum before, that the wrong license was received by people, so it could be that the wrong letter was sent to you, or likely that a letter was sent to you, which was meant for someone else.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
jaystekan

Post by jaystekan »

Infoman & Teamless, all my stuff was received, and in the system including my license. According to the lady on the phone everything was good but for some reason my CHL wasn't processing. Unfortunately because it 20 min or so prior to C.O.B. the lady on the phone said it would be useless to call over to an agent and see what the issue was. I am still waiting on her email, unsure how long I should wait for her to email me, maybe I will call back later today.

Topic author
jaystekan

Post by jaystekan »

Update: Called DPS yet again. Apparently there was a clerical error with my application. I mailed my paperwork in since I needed to send a passport photo with my supporting documents. Whomever manually input my information into the computer off my mailed in documents accidentally put in that I had a CA license. I mailed in a copy of my OK state license with my paperwork. Since they input that I had a CA license, and they had a copy of an OK license, they decided that my paperwork was incomplete. No one decided to check if there was a clerical error, they just decided that it didn't match, flagged it and moved on. Odd since the number on my OK license matched the number they entered for my supposed CA license. Once this was input incorrectly, my app was flagged. It took over 4 weeks for a letter to be printed, mailed and delivered stating there was an error. It took another week of me calling to have the error cleared and my app submitted for my background check. This was entirely the fault of DPS, even the woman on the phone admitted it was their error and that it was incorrectly entered and subsequently flagged. This could have been an easy fix if someone at DPS would have bothered to look at my sent in paperwork and compared my license number that I had sent in against what whatever they entered for a CA license(the numbers, exp date were the same). Anyway, over a month after my paperwork was sent in, my app is now processing. Hopefully this goes quicker.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

jaystekan wrote:Update: Called DPS yet again. Apparently there was a clerical error with my application. I mailed my paperwork in since I needed to send a passport photo with my supporting documents. Whomever manually input my information into the computer off my mailed in documents accidentally put in that I had a CA license. I mailed in a copy of my OK state license with my paperwork. Since they input that I had a CA license, and they had a copy of an OK license, they decided that my paperwork was incomplete. No one decided to check if there was a clerical error, they just decided that it didn't match, flagged it and moved on. Odd since the number on my OK license matched the number they entered for my supposed CA license. Once this was input incorrectly, my app was flagged. It took over 4 weeks for a letter to be printed, mailed and delivered stating there was an error. It took another week of me calling to have the error cleared and my app submitted for my background check. This was entirely the fault of DPS, even the woman on the phone admitted it was their error and that it was incorrectly entered and subsequently flagged. This could have been an easy fix if someone at DPS would have bothered to look at my sent in paperwork and compared my license number that I had sent in against what whatever they entered for a CA license(the numbers, exp date were the same). Anyway, over a month after my paperwork was sent in, my app is now processing. Hopefully this goes quicker.
Sounds like you should be on the fast track now! Sounds pretty frustrating though

JagsfanNtexas

Post by JagsfanNtexas »

jaystekan wrote:Update: Called DPS yet again. Apparently there was a clerical error with my application. I mailed my paperwork in since I needed to send a passport photo with my supporting documents. Whomever manually input my information into the computer off my mailed in documents accidentally put in that I had a CA license. I mailed in a copy of my OK state license with my paperwork. Since they input that I had a CA license, and they had a copy of an OK license, they decided that my paperwork was incomplete. No one decided to check if there was a clerical error, they just decided that it didn't match, flagged it and moved on. Odd since the number on my OK license matched the number they entered for my supposed CA license. Once this was input incorrectly, my app was flagged. It took over 4 weeks for a letter to be printed, mailed and delivered stating there was an error. It took another week of me calling to have the error cleared and my app submitted for my background check. This was entirely the fault of DPS, even the woman on the phone admitted it was their error and that it was incorrectly entered and subsequently flagged. This could have been an easy fix if someone at DPS would have bothered to look at my sent in paperwork and compared my license number that I had sent in against what whatever they entered for a CA license(the numbers, exp date were the same). Anyway, over a month after my paperwork was sent in, my app is now processing. Hopefully this goes quicker.
That's government efficiency for ya.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”