Eligibility and Timelines

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jtparker
Posts in topic: 2

Eligibility and Timelines

Post by jtparker »

I am in need/want of some answers to my situation before things really get moving. However, here are my dates:

04/28/16 - Online application complete paid $140.00 and received barcode.
05/06/16 - fingerprints complete
06/04/16 - complete chl class
06/04/16 - electronically turn in chl class completion to DPS/RSD
06/06/16 - Confirmation of all paperwork received.
xx/xx/xx - waiting on license or ........

Now, here are the details to my story. Back in 2011, (at the age of 20), I was arrested for contributing alcohol to a minor (class A misdemeanor) and long story short, I was ordered by the court for deferred adjudication and the final disposition was on 01/25/12. ( I can legally say I was never convicted of such acts. ) After I applied online, I waited about a month to call DPS and see where my application stands and the man I talked with stating that everything looked good and the only thing to do now is turn in my chl-100 certification. Following this conversation, I went and took the class and turned everything in.

I want to note that the application will last at least one (1) year and the chl-100 class will be good for at least two (2) years.

If, I were to get denied for that reason of having the deferred considered as a conviction will I still be able to use the application as my application for chl after 01/25/17, since that will be five (5) years after my disposition and less that one (1) year from my original application date (04/28/16).

Also, the same for the chl-100 class. Will I be able to use this class as my certification since it is less than two (2) years?

I just would like to know what I can do if I am going to be denied?
Do I wait till 01/25/17 and resubmit everything including an additional $140 and fingerprints, or do I call for a hearing etc. what are my options?
Last edited by jtparker on Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Eligibility and Timelines

Post by vjallen75 »

If I'm not mistaken a deferred adjudication is the same thing as a conviction.

I believe you have to wait 5 years because of a Class A misdemeanor conviction.

As far as being denied, not sure. I would assume you have to wait 5 years after your final disposition.

Someone else on the forum may have a better answer for me or correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand you may have to wait a while before you can apply and be approved.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

infoman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by infoman »

Yes, you will be denied for sure. Yes, you will have to get new prints, pay a new $140, etc. all fees are non-refundable. As far as the class, not exactly sure,but most likely you'll have to retake that also. I am 100% certain though that you will get denied, you will have to resend a new app, pay new fee & get new prints after the date you become eligible again.

infoman

Post by infoman »

You are disqualified for 5 years from your court disposition date, NOT from the date of the actual arrest.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jtparker wrote:I am in need/want of some answers to my situation before things really get moving. However, here are my dates:

04/28/16 - Online application complete paid $140.00 and received barcode.
05/06/16 - fingerprints complete
06/04/16 - complete chl class
06/04/16 - electronically turn in chl class completion to DPS/RSD
06/06/16 - Confirmation of all paperwork received.
xx/xx/xx - waiting on license or ........

Now, here are the details to my story. Back in 2011, (at the age of 20), I was arrested for contributing alcohol to a minor (class A misdemeanor) and long story short, I was ordered by the court for deferred adjudication and the final disposition was on 01/25/16. ( I can legally say I was never convicted of such acts. ) After I applied online, I waited about a month to call DPS and see where my application stands and the man I talked with stating that everything looked good and the only thing to do now is turn in my chl-100 certification. Following this conversation, I went and took the class and turned everything in.

I want to note that the application will last at least one (1) year and the chl-100 class will be good for at least two (2) years.

If, I were to get denied for that reason of having the deferred considered as a conviction will I still be able to use the application as my application for chl after 01/25/17, since that will be five (5) years after my disposition and less that one (1) year from my original application date (04/28/16).

Also, the same for the chl-100 class. Will I be able to use this class as my certification since it is less than two (2) years?

I just would like to know what I can do if I am going to be denied?
Do I wait till 01/25/17 and resubmit everything including an additional $140 and fingerprints, or do I call for a hearing etc. what are my options?
When was the "deal" cut for deferred adjudication? You are eligible for a License five years from that date, not the date you completed the probationary period. You said sometime in 2011 and this is 2016, so you are very close.

Chas.

Topic author
jtparker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jtparker »

The deal was made 1/25/12. And I am completely aware of the five year wait time. The question is that due to the fact of an application is good for at least one year, and the chl class is good for two years, the 5 year waiting period will be up 1/25/17 and my application up that April and my chl class up for use 6/4/18. I was just wanting to know that if I get denied, will that application and chl class certificate suffice. Or do you think I'll just have to pay the 140 again and resend my certification. (Which is what I think is really going to end up happening).

Gixxer2k4

Post by Gixxer2k4 »

I think once you are denied then a new application will be needed. The class certificate should still be good.

infoman

Post by infoman »

On your application, fingerprints, $140 app fee- I don't think, I know you will have to redo all that if you ge denied. You will have to resubmit a new application, new fingerprints & pay a new $140 fee. (this is regardless of when you did all these items). On the class itself, I'm almost certain you would have to retake that also, but not absolutely certain on that one part. I am absolutely 100% certain on everything else. I have great sources & you can trust what I'm telling you. The 1 year time frame on the application fee becomes invalid if/when you get denied or terminated. to sum up: in 2017 or whenever you're legally eligible, you will have to resubmit a new online app, pay a new non-refundable $140 fee, & get new fingerprints. Retaking the course is only part I'm not certain about or not.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”