I have an LTC but was Denied Purchase by FBI

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
remanifest
Posts in topic: 22

Re: I have an LTC but was Denied Purchase by FBI

Post by remanifest »

A call to my buddies is definitely in order. I waited the full week after the paperwork arrived, then called the NICS appeals line today. The message was something to the effect of, "The FBI is no longer providing status updates on NICS appeals. Your appeal will be handled in the order received. We are currently processing appeals from August, 2015.", followed by the automated system hanging up.

August 2015? That is absurd.
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by warnmar10 »

remanifest wrote:A call to my buddies is definitely in order. I waited the full week after the paperwork arrived, then called the NICS appeals line today. The message was something to the effect of, "The FBI is no longer providing status updates on NICS appeals. Your appeal will be handled in the order received. We are currently processing appeals from August, 2015.", followed by the automated system hanging up.

To paraphrase Trey Gowdy... oh never mind. Have you checked to see if you're on the no fly list too?

Topic author
remanifest

Post by remanifest »

warnmar10 wrote:
remanifest wrote:A call to my buddies is definitely in order. I waited the full week after the paperwork arrived, then called the NICS appeals line today. The message was something to the effect of, "The FBI is no longer providing status updates on NICS appeals. Your appeal will be handled in the order received. We are currently processing appeals from August, 2015.", followed by the automated system hanging up.

To paraphrase Trey Gowdy... oh never mind. Have you checked to see if you're on the no fly list too?
:lol:: I'm definitely not on the no fly list. I fly around the country for work every now and then - haven't flown internationally in almost ten years. I have a valid passport and an active security clearance. Definitely not a bad guy, the FBI just thinks someone with a "similar name and features" is a fugitive from justice.
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

Topic author
remanifest

Post by remanifest »

Though this thread is pretty well dead, I wanted to post an update for those who may be watching.

My buddy at the FBI told me that the appeals department IS pretty much shut down. After I heard the automatic message that they were processing appeals from August 2015, this was his reaction.

Saturday, I went to the firearms store & explained all of this to the owner, who has been so cordial and a pleasure to talk to. She asked to give her a few days, and that she would call the ATF to discuss this situation with them. She also stated she's seen a huge uptick in "delay" and "deny" responses from the FBI since they switched to their new verification system.

Tuesday, she calls me up in the early afternoon to let me know I'm free to come by at my convenience with my license and my LTC, and that the firearm is mine. I'll be picking it up this Saturday :)

Gotta love when justice prevails!
- Muse - Uprising

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

remanifest wrote:Though this thread is pretty well dead, I wanted to post an update for those who may be watching.

My buddy at the FBI told me that the appeals department IS pretty much shut down. After I heard the automatic message that they were processing appeals from August 2015, this was his reaction.

Saturday, I went to the firearms store & explained all of this to the owner, who has been so cordial and a pleasure to talk to. She asked to give her a few days, and that she would call the ATF to discuss this situation with them. She also stated she's seen a huge uptick in "delay" and "deny" responses from the FBI since they switched to their new verification system.

Tuesday, she calls me up in the early afternoon to let me know I'm free to come by at my convenience with my license and my LTC, and that the firearm is mine. I'll be picking it up this Saturday :)

:thewave YAY! Congrats man! :woohoo :fire
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Congratulations man, that sounds like a miserable process. Glad you ended up getting it. I have about 10 to the negative 29135 patience compared to you!

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Pawpaw »

remanifest wrote:Though this thread is pretty well dead, I wanted to post an update for those who may be watching.

While I'm glad you got your issue worked out, that does not bode well for most people who lack your connections. The "average Joe" is just out of luck.

Please write out the whole ordeal and send it to all of your Congresscritters. The BATFE needs to be taken to task for this stuff.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
remanifest

Post by remanifest »

Pawpaw wrote: While I'm glad you got your issue worked out, that does not bode well for most people who lack your connections. The "average Joe" is just out of luck.

Please write out the whole ordeal and send it to all of your Congresscritters. The BATFE needs to be taken to task for this stuff.
I do agree that this needs to be sorted out. It seems to me that the BATFE are the good guys in this scenario, and that the FBI is being downright hostile toward the 2nd amendment. How many of these recent psychopaths had obtained firearms legally, through the same process wherein I was denied, after previously being confirmed by the FBI to not be of concern in any manner whatsoever (proven by issuance of the LTC & my active security clearance)?

The last message I sent to my congressman, two months ago, has not been responded to, despite well-founded concerns. I have zero trust in Bill Flores, and he will not be receiving my vote.
- Muse - Uprising

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Pawpaw »

remanifest wrote:
Pawpaw wrote: While I'm glad you got your issue worked out, that does not bode well for most people who lack your connections. The "average Joe" is just out of luck.

I do agree that this needs to be sorted out. It seems to me that the BATFE are the good guys in this scenario, and that the FBI is being downright hostile toward the 2nd amendment. How many of these recent psychopaths had obtained firearms legally, through the same process wherein I was denied, after previously being confirmed by the FBI to not be of concern in any manner whatsoever (proven by issuance of the LTC & my active security clearance)?

The last message I sent to my congressman, two months ago, has not been responded to, despite well-founded concerns. I have zero trust in Bill Flores, and he will not be receiving my vote.
Of course, you're right... It's the FBI and not BATFE. It was late and my meds were kicking in. :???:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

allisji
Posts in topic: 3

Post by allisji »

This is unbelievable. And still no explanation why you were denied? They owe you an explanation.

Glad that you apparently are free to purchase firearms using your LTC now.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
remanifest

Post by remanifest »

allisji wrote:This is unbelievable. And still no explanation why you were denied? They owe you an explanation.

No, I got an explanation on why I was denied. Someone with a similar name and similar features is a fugitive from justice, and their system does loose matching based upon simple demographic (name) and feature characteristics (height, weight, age).
- Muse - Uprising

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

remanifest wrote:
allisji wrote:This is unbelievable. And still no explanation why you were denied? They owe you an explanation.

No, I got an explanation on why I was denied. Someone with a similar name and similar features is a fugitive from justice, and their system does loose matching based upon simple demographic (name) and feature characteristics (height, weight, age).
Makes me wonder how many are able to pass a NICS and normally wouldn't for the same reason you were wrongfully denied. I can understand a delay, until they are able to determine you are who you say you are, and that there is no issues. But an outright denial based on name and physical characteristics, that is odd.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

allisji
Posts in topic: 3

Post by allisji »

Flightmare wrote:
remanifest wrote:

Makes me wonder how many are able to pass a NICS and normally wouldn't for the same reason you were wrongfully denied. I can understand a delay, until they are able to determine you are who you say you are, and that there is no issues. But an outright denial based on name and physical characteristics, that is odd.
yeah, I didn't realize that you got the explanation. But the explanation is poor to put it mildly.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mrvmax »

Flightmare wrote:
remanifest wrote:

Why would that be odd? Imagine how many Jim Smiths there are in the US. Imagine how many would be similar age, height, hair color etc. I'm sure there are even those similar down to birth dates with over 320 million people and some will have felonies which will be an automatic denial. The NICS check starts with a contract employee that does not have the clearance to do background checks. If anything pops up they forward to an FBI employee (at this point it would be a delay) who can do a more in depth search. They may send inquiries to state agencies who will not always be able to respond in three days. All the info on the 4473 needs to be correct so when it is entered into NICS it is correct. It would help to add a SS number but even then with SS being stolen that is not a guarantee. I've had guys with their identity stolen 20 years ago that would still get delayed until the info could be verified, he finally got a CHL (now LTC) to avoid being delayed every time.

FFL's are told by the ATF that they can deny selling firearms to anyone they think should not purchase one. If you come in acting odd (which is subjective) it doesn't matter if you are law enforcement or have a CHL/LTC, the FFL can refuse to sell to you (not sure if anything like this has been challenged in court, I would be curious to hear about a case that was). Of course you do not need to shop there again. With the massive amount of press coverage on the relatively few mass shootings in the US no FFL wants to be the business that sold a firearm to someone that used it in a mass shooting (or in any crime for that matter). It can easily shut a business down from publicity alone much less having the ATF scrutinize the FFL. Hence the reason why places like Academy will run NICS even when you have a valid LTC/CHL - no FFL wants to be involved in selling firearms to prohibited people or those that will use them in a crime. Trust me, no FFL wants to get a call from the FBI on a firearm trace request either. When we get those it always conjures images of some mistake that was made that will cause mucho trouble.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”