Should I open carry

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Should I open carry

Post by TexasTornado »

Antbanks_84 wrote:Thanks for the reply I just wanted some of you guys opinions since my wife suggested I do not open carry because of the dangers
Please do not let anyone, not even your wife dissuade you from open carry if that is how YOU are comfortable carrying. It is as personal a choice as boxers or briefs and really not a choice someone else can make for you.

For me personally, whether or not I open carry depends largely on which pistol I'm carrying; I conceal my compact and openly carry my full size. Sure, I could put on an oversized t-shirt to cover the full size, but it's not going to fool anyone anyhow. My compact on the other hand, depending on which holster I wear, you'll never even notice.

Long story short, there are more variables than anyone can really give you advice on, the biggest of those variables being you.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

striker55 wrote:I feel more comfortable concealed, I worry if I'm open carry someone could come up and try to take it. Plus if something goes down I want the element of surprise.
Get a retention holster if you're concerned about someone taking it. I had the same concern so I bought a Blackhawk! Serpa CQC for my S&W MP9 Shield.
http://blackhawk.com/Private/Search-Res ... de=anyword
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Antbanks_84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Antbanks_84 »

U guys are great thanks for the responses

striker55

Post by striker55 »

bblhd672 wrote:
striker55 wrote:I feel more comfortable concealed, I worry if I'm open carry someone could come up and try to take it. Plus if something goes down I want the element of surprise.
Get a retention holster if you're concerned about someone taking it. I had the same concern so I bought a Blackhawk! Serpa CQC for my S&W MP9 Shield.
My main concern is not being singled out if something goes down.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I find OC to be a deterrent. VAST majority of crime is crime of opportunity. They want it to be fast, quiet, & easy. I prefer OC as a deterrent to "something going down".
On the thought of someone taking it. Quality level 2 retention + training. Should have both anyway. At least level one retention & training.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

There is one reason one might decide to conceal carry that hasn't been discussed.
To me, the biggest reason for me to conceal is a privacy one. Privacy is a lot like toothpaste, once it's cut loose you can't put it back. I'm a private person and don't wish to share details of my life to strangers. I want to control the information that people have about me. I don't wear t-shirts and decals that tell the world my sneaker preferences or what kind of computer I like or even describe my marital status number of children and cats and dogs.
What kind of guns I carry and how I carry is none of the business of strangers, until I have a need to display technology on my hip.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

bblhd672 wrote:
OK youtube video and discussion from 3/7/17 in Houston showing how important a retention holster and a little training are: Idiot Suspect Attempts to Disarm Security Guard | Active Self Protection

I'm just posting it here to continue the discussion rather than starting a new thread.

Acronym 5/1/2017 10:12 AM

flechero

Post by flechero »

My suggestion-

You might want to BOTH take some training in carry and defensive pistol. It will do [at least] 3 things: First, you will gain some valuable skills, practice and confidence in use and deployment of your weapon. Secondly, she will gain an appreciation for the task at hand and may end up seeing the value in carry, for herself. (at a minimum she will be able to use your weapon competently after said training) And lastly, it should highlight for you whether or not you are comfortable and prepared to carry, or carry openly. And then you will be able to make an intelligent decision that best serves you and your family. :tiphat:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

My recommendation for the OP or anyone that isn't sure whether they would like OC or not is to do it at least once.

Many of the good folks on this forum did on the first day or within the first week that OC became legal here in Texas. Some did just to be able to say they did and then cover it back up. Others did it to begin their quest to determine if it was something they wanted to do on a more regular basis. And then there's still others that did it and have rarely covered it back up since.

I had OCed a couple of times before Texas was legal when visiting OK and KS. No one noticed or paid any attention that I could tell. OK was only for pit stops of gas and food. KS I OCed around town in Topeka and Lawrence for three days on various trips for shopping or eating.

I don't OC very much at all, but it is way more comfortable from a clothing aspect. However, it does take the stress/alert level up a little. Maybe it is because I haven't done it very much. Maybe those levels should be up just a little. IDK

So, my recommendation is to try it on a simple trip to get gas or something with minimal interaction of others at first. Then if you like that, try going in a few places with relatively small numbers of people. Incremental like. If you don't like it after that first couple of times then just go back to concealed. No big deal.

BTW, keeping the wife happy is important, but sometimes they also need some time to adjust. Maybe yours still hasn't adjusted to you carrying at all yet. Many of us have also gone through that transition. I'd venture to say that most of our spouses have adjusted just fine and some even carry now themselves.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Good grief. I didn't see this at first.

Acronym revived a thread from back in October of 2016.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”