Should I open carry

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Antbanks_84
Posts in topic: 4

Should I open carry

Post by Antbanks_84 »

I just received my ltc in my mail today I need advice on rather I should open carry or not

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Should I open carry

Post by TexasTornado »

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I don't think anyone can really give you advice either way. We might be able to help you out with some pros and cons, but even those are often conflicting based on who you ask. Best thing I can say is whichever way you go, find a good holster and practice often. Good luck and congrats on the plastic.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
Antbanks_84

Post by Antbanks_84 »

Thanks

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

Antbanks_84 wrote:I just received my ltc in my mail today I need advice on rather I should open carry or not
I'm glad you've decided to carry. That is the main point on which we should all be able to agree. What and how you carry is up to you.

As Texas Tornado said, you should carry in a manner in which you are comfortable. Carry a firearm with which you practice and are proficient.

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks one is willing to manage and which benefits matter most. Do your own risk analysis, consider your own tactical and strategic situation, take into account your own abilities and limitations.

Your choice of carry method will vary depending on many factors. Regardless, your choice should be grounded in fact rather than emotional supposition and fear. Know the law and know yourself.

For me and mine, carrying openly works best. I carry openly where I can, conceal as the situation dictates, disarming only if I must.

Be safe and carry.
Last edited by oljames3 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

There are lots of things to consider.
What kind of holster? Does it have retention?
What's the environment? People bumping into you, stereotypical hostile business.
What do you normally wear for clothing? Me personally hate wearing tucked in shirts. In the cool weather, I typically wear these Duluth shirts a lot. I could wear an AR15 on my hip and it would conceal carry.

Typically I carry concealed, I'm a private person and don't like sharing my business. There are times I open carry, such as early morning walks or if my light weight shirt catches the wind. But normally I just keep it covered.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

There's no '"should" in this decision.

I hope I'm wrong, but you sound as if (maybe) someone in your life is pressuring you to OC.

Such a decision is up to you solely and no one else.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I feel more comfortable concealed, I worry if I'm open carry someone could come up and try to take it. Plus if something goes down I want the element of surprise.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

As others have noted, it is entirely up to you.

Personally, I carry concealed, I carry openly, and yes, on occasion, I am unarmed. I think a lot of folks also do all three. It really just comes down to percentages for each.

Unfortunately, my work is not gun friendly, so I don't carry for at least half of my waking hours, other than weekends. Let's say 40% of the time I am unarmed.

I carry every other chance I get. When I am out and about, I will try to throw a T-shirt over my OWB holster, partly because my wife gets "nervous" if I OC in public. But I will OC all the time that I am home. If I had to guess, on the whole, I would say it's a 50/50 split (I spend a lot of time at the house versus at restaurants, etc.).

So, net-net, for me, it's unarmed 40% of the time, OC 30% of the time, and CC 30% of the time. As the Twix commercial says, "try both and pick a side", or rather, pick a mix that works for you. The one thing I have not done at all since January 1 is to wear an IWB holster. I just have not seen the need.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I open carry most of the time because it is more comfortable for me, I always wear a shirt big enough to cover my pistol shoul I need to. I live in the general Ft Worth area and also spend sometime in cleburne, 95% of people don't notice or don't care! If your going to open carry really pay attention to those around you, I will always either place space or turn so that just grabbing the gun would require an overt act!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

striker55 wrote:I feel more comfortable concealed, I worry if I'm open carry someone could come up and try to take it. Plus if something goes down I want the element of surprise.
:iagree: Completely

rotor

Post by rotor »

As a new LTC person I would suggest starting out concealed. It takes quite some time to get comfortable even with conceal carry. If after you are comfortable with concealed then your choice as to open or concealed. I personally carry concealed 99.5% of the time.

Topic author
Antbanks_84

Post by Antbanks_84 »

Thanks for the reply I just wanted some of you guys opinions since my wife suggested I do not open carry because of the dangers

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Time to roll out the tired cliches about open carry... :yawn

-It will make you a target of the bad guys.

-You are not highly trained in weapon retention and hand to hand combat like all street cops are.

-Someone will sneak up behind you and grab your handgun.

-You will give all LTC holders a bad name by pushing your open carry on people who would like to go through their lives without seeing evil WMD on people.

-You are attention seeking and saying "look at me" by doing it.

-Mas Ayoob and Jeff Cooper always said you will lose the element of surprise making you a worse "gunfighter".

-People will shun you at Church/Temple even if you don't carry or conceal there...and your Pastor/Rabbi will denounce you from the pulpit.

-And...finally...THE CHILDREN!!!! Please conceal and carry only, for the children... :roll:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I opened carry and joined my wife and family at the "La Madeline", We had a great light French food, and no one blinked. I met a friend who saw me there and said, I would like to do the same as you, OC.
However, my wife bagged me to conceal or put my gear back in the car, to no avail. It is for the Children sake. :txflag:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Antbanks_84 wrote:I just received my ltc in my mail today I need advice on rather I should open carry or not
No, you probably shouldn't. Read this: http://preparedgunowners.com/2016/02/11 ... ld-either/

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”