A walkthrough the Medical Advisory Board process

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
atxlibwguns
Posts in topic: 1

A walkthrough the Medical Advisory Board process

Post by atxlibwguns »

Howdy everyone. This is my first post here and specifically about the Medical Advisory Board review process. I searched this forum for advice on how to proceed and found that the best course of action wasn't always clear. I had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder at 18 but that diagnosis has since been invalidated. Since that time I have been diagnosed with ADHD which is well controlled and not a disqualifying condition. This is my anecdote on how I navigated the process.

When I decided to apply for my LTC, I knew that my prior bipolar diagnosis would be a hurdle. Rather than wait for the MAB to contact me, I attempted to forgo the entire process by citing the applicable statutes. 411.172 Subsection (f) states that if the applicant provides the department with a psychiatric assessment, the wording being "notwithstanding subsection (d)," the applicant is considered capable of safely handling a firearm. I interpreted this to mean that the letter effectively negates those disqualifying diagnoses in subsection (d). Unfortunately that is not how DPS interpreted the statute, so my application was forwarded to the MAB anyway. I'll be writing my state rep about that.

Anyway, prior to submitting the LTC application I called around and found a forensic psychiatrist, in my opinion the type of physician with the most weight behind their opinion, who was willing to review my medical records and give a second opinion. I paid cash, but the cost of the evaluation was more than reasonable in my opinion.

5/28/16- Application/prints submitted. Email confirmation received.
10/21/16- Received letter that application has been sent to MAB.

I'm not sure of the time frames after this, but long story short rather than filling out the packet and meeting again with the consulting psychiatrist I simply emailed the medical release and letter to the MAB.

11/21/16- DPS representative confirmed the license has been mailed.
I expect to receive the plastic before the end of the month.

The process takes a long time if it has to go through the MAB so just understand that there is, at this time, no way around it.
Be proactive and be patient if a diagnosis has the potential to disqualify you. Cover all of your bases. Cheers ladies and gentlemen.
Last edited by atxlibwguns on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A walkthrough the Medical Advisory Board process

Post by ELB »

Thanks for the information and welcome to the Forum. This was one of the more informative and unusual "first posts" I have read.

Best wishes!
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”