Right to bear Arms versus the right to vote

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Boywalton
Posts in topic: 1

Right to bear Arms versus the right to vote

Post by Boywalton »

Either make the right to bear arms as available as the right to vote, or restrict the right to vote at the very same level as the all the infringements of the 2nd.
Been waiting 67 days so far, for the TX government's permission to access my second amendment granted rights.
10-9-16 passed class
10-10-16 asked for permission with a gift of couple hundred $$$ just for considering my request to have access to my 2nd amendment guaranteed rights.
10-10-16 made appointment for fingerprints
10-14 -16 sent fingerprints
10-18-16 received fingerprints
--------------------------
12-20-16 contacted DPS to find out that they did not receive my LTC class certificate, attached class certificate.
12-20-16 received confirmation with 6week wait time.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Right to bear Arms versus the right to vote

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I believe the 60 days for them to issue a license or deny/request additional information starts when they've received the completed application. This includes your gift to the state, certificate of completion, finger printers, etc. So, because of a miscommunication you may have to wait starting today.

That bites, but that's where I think you're at. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm incorrect.

And welcome to the site! Time will fly after you stop thinking about it. I started out checking the website daily for an update. After about 2 weeks, I stopped thinking about it constantly, until it got up to about the 45 day mark. I called and found that my records had been shuffled. My application was escalated at that point, and was back out the door in about 10 days after that. The DPS is pretty good about moving things through as fast as they can, and are very friendly. They are good people from my experience.

ETA: I can't find a statutory limit of 60 days. I thought it was there, but I'm removing that from my comment until confirmed.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Boywalton wrote:Either make the right to bear arms as available as the right to vote, or restrict the right to vote at the very same level as the all the infringements of the 2nd.
:iagree: Completely.

IMHO, neither one should be infringed in any way.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:ETA: I can't find a statutory limit of 60 days. I thought it was there, but I'm removing that from my comment until confirmed.
Texas Government Code 411.177(b)
(b) The department shall, not later than the 60th day after the date of the receipt by the director's designee of the completed application materials:

(1) issue the license;

(2) notify the applicant in writing that the application was denied:

(A) on the grounds that the applicant failed to qualify under the criteria listed in Section 411.172;

(B) based on the affidavit of the director's designee submitted to the department under Section 411.176(c); or

(C) based on the affidavit of the qualified handgun instructor submitted to the department under Section 411.188(k); or

(3) notify the applicant in writing that the department is unable to make a determination regarding the issuance or denial of a license to the applicant within the 60-day period prescribed by this subsection and include in that notification an explanation of the reason for the inability and an estimation of the amount of time the department will need to make the determination.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Papa_Tiger wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:ETA: I can't find a statutory limit of 60 days. I thought it was there, but I'm removing that from my comment until confirmed.
Texas Government Code 411.177(b)
(b) The department shall, not later than the 60th day after the date of the receipt by the director's designee of the completed application materials:

(1) issue the license;

(2) notify the applicant in writing that the application was denied:

(A) on the grounds that the applicant failed to qualify under the criteria listed in Section 411.172;

(B) based on the affidavit of the director's designee submitted to the department under Section 411.176(c); or

(C) based on the affidavit of the qualified handgun instructor submitted to the department under Section 411.188(k); or

(3) notify the applicant in writing that the department is unable to make a determination regarding the issuance or denial of a license to the applicant within the 60-day period prescribed by this subsection and include in that notification an explanation of the reason for the inability and an estimation of the amount of time the department will need to make the determination.
:tiphat:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Make sure you send the DPS a copy of your CHL100. That is the student's responsibility, not the instructors. They are not restricting you from bearing arms on or in your own property.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

twomillenium wrote:Make sure you send the DPS a copy of your CHL100. That is the student's responsibility, not the instructors. They are not restricting you from bearing arms on or in your own property.
Nor are they restricting you from bearing arms while in your vehicle (MPA)
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

TECHNICALLY...the right to vote is not constitutionally enumerated....so it becomes apples and oranges...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Flightmare wrote:
twomillenium wrote:Make sure you send the DPS a copy of your CHL100. That is the student's responsibility, not the instructors. They are not restricting you from bearing arms on or in your own property.
Nor are they restricting you from bearing arms while in your vehicle (MPA)
That is why I said "in". I guess I should have added property that you are in control or have authority over.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

You can carry your rifle or shotgun.
Not recommending.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”