Wait time can be more than 60 days

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ScottyH
Posts in topic: 2

Wait time can be more than 60 days

Post by ScottyH »

I completed my LTC class on Dec 11, 2016. Submitted all documentation and fingerprints on Dec 26, 2016. That site on DPS where you check your LTC status has said the same thing for the last 2 months- everything green checkmark except Fingerprints and Background check under review, License print pending completion. Last Monday made 10 weeks so I called their number a couple of times. Could not get through, so I sent an email. Reply came back the next day saying they have everything they need, to please allow up to 180 days for processing.
I have a couple of misdemeanors back in the 1980's when I was a teenager. A DUI charge and a petty theft charge (I tried to shoplift a bottle of liquor when I was 19- STUPID). I had an NSA background check 5 years ago (which I passed) to allow me access into restricted areas of the airport for my job at the time. My gunshop is saying this is probably the hold up. When Texas sees an NSA check on me, they're probably putting me under a magnifying glass for close inspection. Understandable.
Just wanted other people to be aware that wait time can be more than 60 days.

thaidragon
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wait time can be more than 60 days

Post by thaidragon »

Mine actually took 6 months before I got my chl.

infoman

Post by infoman »

The time has nothing to do with your charges or you in paticular, that's how long it takes for everyone in general. they haven't looked at yours yet is what that means.

Easyasmc

Post by Easyasmc »

infoman wrote:The time has nothing to do with your charges or you in paticular, that's how long it takes for everyone in general. they haven't looked at yours yet is what that means.

Not true.

Did you disclose your arrests on the Reported History Form CHL-78C? If you did, did you send in the abstract of both arrests showing the outcome? If you did not, you are unfortunately on someone else's time. They have 60 days to send it to your local LE to do a background check. If they cannot make a determination they have to send it back to DPS within 60 days. From that point, DPS has 180 days to investigate further. You can wait around for a letter or send off for an abstract of both cases from whoever arrested you. It does not say anything about doing this but, if you speak to a person at DPS and tell them you had some arrests, they will tell you its a good idea to send in the info.

I was in the same boat and after getting the abstract, went to print pending in about 6 days.

Your security background check doesn't have any bearing on your LTC.

Get the info they need and I think you'll finish up like some of us. Good luck

Alaska2texas

Post by Alaska2texas »

Mine took a month for everything. If you call dps physically and ask about your status, they will open it right then and thete and you should have yourbchl the following week. At least thats how it worked for me. I have to felonies or anything not even a ttaffic tuickrt so kaybe it depends on the persons background.
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Topic author
ScottyH

Post by ScottyH »

Thank you all for the feedback.
I will contact the Washoe County Court House in Reno where my arrests took place and see if I can get the abstracts, and also try again on the DPS phone line. I appreciate the input from everyone.

Scotty

Easyasmc

Post by Easyasmc »

ScottyH wrote:Thank you all for the feedback.
I will contact the Washoe County Court House in Reno where my arrests took place and see if I can get the abstracts, and also try again on the DPS phone line. I appreciate the input from everyone.

Scotty
I wished they told me that when I did mine. After sending in the information that they did not request, I had mine about 10 days later. Best of luck!

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”