60 Days just passed - now my status has changed.

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mylostclub
Posts in topic: 2

60 Days just passed - now my status has changed.

Post by mylostclub »

Hey guys, needs some help or advice. I moved to Texas last September. I moved from Nebraska where I held a CCW permit, and had lived there all my life. Let me preface this by saying that I am a so called "model" citizen. No background issues, never any problems with the government or mental issues, or medical. I travel for my job and am in a career that I have to be licensed in many different states, including Texas, for which I have held that license since 2003.
So, in moving to Texas, I started with transferring, or getting my new LTC as this would take the longest, and I could still use my Nebraska Permit if I held a Nebraska DL. I had a current Texas address, took the LTC class, submitted all requested docs, photos, fingerprint, etc, that they required on the Feb 8th. Within a week I was able to check my status online, and saw that all items had been received, and accepted, and the only thing that was pending was the background check. Well, I had no worries as I knew there would be no issues.
Needless to say, we have just passed the 60 day "must issue" period. I gave them till the 13th of April for 60 days to allow for some extra mail time or whatever, but the 13th would easily be 60 days. AS of the 13th, nothing on the site had changed.
14th - still no change
15th - still no change
16th - still no change
17th - still no change
18th (today) - I go online to check, and now the are stating that the photo I sent in was not acceptable and have sent me a letter. (background check still says pending though). The photo was taken at a passport photo place, as stated, and was sent in in the exact size and dimensions requested, along with the holder requested.
So, my question is........ Does this sound like a crock of _______? Does it sound like they are just over worked and looking for a reason to delay? Any advice, suggestions would be appreciated. Do I have any recourse? Who can I talk to or what can I do to maybe help expedite the matter?

Frustrated and defenseless in Plano

Glockman93
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 60 Days just passed - now my status has changed.

Post by Glockman93 »

Find your state representative for your zip code and they should have a website to send them a message. Send them one saying that you are being with held from your constitutional right and that you are past their 60 day statute and demand an update and response from them. The people at dps will tell you the same old story the whole time. I had issues with mine and sent my rep a message and a day later they gave me a call and said they would get with dps and find out why I havnt got an answer. The next day dps called me and told me exactly what they need. I got it to them next day and a day later I went to print pending. Your state reps office can get you taken care of. They are elected to work for us. :rules: :boxing :fire :txflag:

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Do you have a current Texas driver's license? If so, just tell them to use your DL picture. If not, you are probably going to have to wait until you receive the "letter" and have another passport picture taken and sent in. Back when I got my CHL originally, they said my passport picture wasn't acceptable, so had to have mine re-taken. This was before they started using DL pictures. Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but best I can do. :tiphat:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

I just renewed they used my dl picture
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

007Glock

Post by 007Glock »

So did they post online on your status page when you logged in that they had mailed you out a letter? I'm curious because you said you went online to check your status, and they said your picture wasn't acceptable and sending you a letter. Did they actually state on your status page that they sent you out a letter requesting what they needed?

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Gunner4640 wrote:I just renewed they used my dl picture
There is a big difference between renewal and original application just after moving from out of state. If you call them they may check your DL since it should be on file by now. Hope it goes good, I have students that have received their LTC in 30 days this year and I have a couple that tell me they have to send in their CHL100. Both sent the CHL100 in with the online application. I tell them to wait for their barcode which indicates that there is now a file to attach the CHL100 with. I have no idea why this seems to be a problem, except it may have something to do with temporary workers. If I am wrong, then I apologize.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
mylostclub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mylostclub »

75 DAYS AND IT FINALLY ARRIVED!!

Well, after some help from you guys, an e-mail to Senator Van Taylors office - things got straightened out pretty quickly:

Denise from Sen. Taylors office stated they had several issues with the DPS and she would get right on it and get some answers for me. Within a day and a half, I got a call from a manger with DPS who apologized, and stated (are you ready for this) - when they scanned my passport photo in, somebody scanned it in black & white, and then threw away the original. So, by the time they got all the other docs back, and finally realized they didn't have a good photo, it was day 60. That's when I got my letter mailed. Fortunately my wife and I got 2 of each photo when we got the passport photos, and the DPS manager allowed me to send them to him thru e-mail. He then promptly issued both LTCs the next day.
Just ticks me off that they put it off on me, and extended the waiting period, and if I wouldn't have said anything, I would still be waiting. Our tax dollars hard at work.
Oh well, all is fixed now. And major kudos to Denise at Sen Van Taylors office. She got it all worked out. She also stated that Senator Taylor is very Pro LTC and 2nd amendment and that he is very aggressive at staying on top of the DPS for our rights. I'm new to the area so I'm gonna have to take her word for it, but I know who I'm voting for in the future!!

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”