Application sent to Medical Advisory Board

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crossroads
Posts in topic: 1

Application sent to Medical Advisory Board

Post by Crossroads »

New member, first post. I've been a reader of the forum for a few months but didn't join because I wasn't a LTC club member yet.

I wanted to share my experience with the LTC process and going through the Medical Advisory Board (MAB) in hopes it will help someone in the future since the information I found on this site helped me.

About a year ago I decided I wanted to get my LTC, but I wanted to train with my handgun and be very comfortable with it before I applied. It certainly didn't hurt when I found out legislation was going through to reduce the fee to $40.

Backstory. In the early 1990s I had become depressed and suicidal because I didn't know how to deal with some issues I was going through. Fortunately I had great parents growing up and I knew what I was feeling and thinking wasn't right. I sought help, got help, and haven't ever been depressed or felt suicidal since even in the face of greater adversity than I had experience at my lowest point.

Knowing the LTC application has a general "Mental Health" question that I would have to answer Yes to; I tried getting paperwork from the clinic that I visited ahead of time in hopes it would help expedite my application. The clinic had no records of my treatment.

June 2017 - took my License to Carry a handgun proficiency course CHL-100 and passed
early Sept 2017 - Submitted application
early Sept 2017 - Submitted fingerprints and other required documents
mid Sept 2017 - Received letter from DPS stating that they had requested the MAB review my application
mid Oct 2017 - waited 30 days and didn't hear anything from MAB. contacted DPS via phone # from letter who then gave me MAB phone #.
mid Oct 2017 - after some phone tag with MAB they informed me they sent documentation via snail mail in mid Sept. I never got it, lost in the mail. They immediately emailed me the required documentation to proceed. I wish this was an option instead of snail mail. The lady on the phone was very friendly and helpful which was nice. The MAB sends you a packet with a letter to you stating what you need to do and a letter to the physician stating what they need to do. It also tells the physician they aren't liable under law for any of my future actions. That helps out a lot. Now I need a doctor to fill out this form and fax it to the MAB. Do I see a psychiatrist? After reading the documentation from the MAB that answer was "No". If you aren't diagnosed with any of the conditions listed on the form you can see any doctor. If you've ever been diagnosed with any of the conditions listed you'll need to see a psychiatrist. I also read on this forum that someone just went to their family doctor because the doctor knew him better than any other doctor. So, that's what I did. I went to my family doctor, who grilled me, well not that bad.
late Oct 2017 - took paperwork to family doctor who asked me a bunch of questions in addition to the ones on the MAB paperwork. He faxed paperwork to MAB at the end of the week
late Oct 2017 - called MAB to verify they received fax from my doctor. Yes they did and they would send back their results to DPS the following week
late Oct 2017 - checked online application, everything turned green, pending print. YES!!!
early Nov 2017 - plastic in hand. Walmart walk completed.
Neither a wise man or a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.

TexasFlash

Re: Application sent to Medical Advisory Board

Post by TexasFlash »

Congratulations and welcome aboard!
:txflag:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Congratulations and what a wealth of information that will come in handy for others. Thanks for sharing.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Awesome first post. Welcome to the forum!

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Welcome to the forum, great post and thanks for sharing.
I'd guess you'll get out a lots of information and good, useful, practical tips on nearly any topic in regards to the LTC and to carry a firearm.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new LTC.
Hopefully the information you shared will help prospective licensees in the future. Thanks for sharing.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Welcome! Glad your doing OK!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

:thumbs2:

Congratulations! Very informative post and I'm sure your experience will help others. Welcome to the forum!
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”