Arrests

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Rmonty09
Posts in topic: 3

Arrests

Post by Rmonty09 »

I’m new here and looking for a hopeful answer. I’ve heard a lot of you talk about how quickly you received your LTC through the state. I submitted my application, fingerprints, etc., on the 11th of December. It showed to be in the process of being reviewed in about 48 hours of receipt.
Now I have two arrests, class A and C misdemeanors from 17 and 19 years ago. Both were released under deferred adjudication (they were both theft charges). Are these items going to slow the process of reviewing my application or will they keep me from getting my license?
I’m stressed about it and wondering if that’s what’s slowing down my process, even though the state does have 60 days to process and get everything out. Just wondering. Thanks in advance for the help.

infoman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Arrests

Post by infoman »

It will most definitely slow it down, but it dec should not disqualify you. It is likely to take full 60 days or close to that. Remember there’s been a lot of holidays recently, also lots of employees take off during Christmas/New Years. Also, applications for those who never had any arrests zoom by way faster then those who have had arrests. The Apps that gave arrests must be manually looked at & are sent to another part of the office & put into a very big queue.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

Did you disclose the arrests and provide complete documentation regarding the final dispositions at the time you submitted your app? I'm sure it's common for any potential blemish to slow the process down some.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

mojo84 wrote:Did you disclose the arrests and provide complete documentation regarding the final dispositions at the time you submitted your app? I'm sure it's common for any potential blemish to slow the process down some.
If you did not provide complete and final documentation, do what it takes to get it if you do not have it. Make a .pdf files and be ready to send them. I am sure they will notify you that they need them. The department does not chase these things down, that is your job and then they check what you have sent to verify that it factual. Good Luck and be ready to respond quickly to their requests.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
Rmonty09

Post by Rmonty09 »

twomillenium wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Did you disclose the arrests and provide complete documentation regarding the final dispositions at the time you submitted your app? I'm sure it's common for any potential blemish to slow the process down some.
If you did not provide complete and final documentation, do what it takes to get it if you do not have it. Make a .pdf files and be ready to send them. I am sure they will notify you that they need them. The department does not chase these things down, that is your job and then they check what you have sent to verify that it factual. Good Luck and be ready to respond quickly to their requests.
I did in fact disclose the arrests, however I don’t have documentation showing the final outcome. I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to get from them from the county. Is there a way to submit that stuff before they ask for it?

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Rmonty09 wrote:Is there a way to submit that stuff before they ask for it?
Yep!

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/contact/ltcatt.aspx
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

17 years ago is too old. Stop stressing as long as there isn't anything pending from them and it's as you described. You just need to wait it out and look for the outcome. Good luck..

Alf

Post by Alf »

Deitz83 wrote:17 years ago is too old. Stop stressing as long as there isn't anything pending from them and it's as you described. You just need to wait it out and look for the outcome. Good luck..
The important part of that statement is wait it out. They have more work to do if an applicant has been arrested, especially if the applicant didn't provide disposition documents. More work = more time. The best thing to do is relax and wait it out.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

Rmonty, If it were me, I'd contact the county where the arrests were and ask them for the documentation showing the final dispositions just to have on hand. I suspect you'll get a letter requesting it and it will expedite the process of you have it ready to send. The other option is to go ahead and submit it to DPS when you get it.

Best wishes on this.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

mojo84 wrote:Rmonty, If it were me, I'd contact the county where the arrests were and ask them for the documentation showing the final dispositions just to have on hand. I suspect you'll get a letter requesting it and it will expedite the process of you have it ready to send. The other option is to go ahead and submit it to DPS when you get it.

Best wishes on this.
:iagree:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

jlmiller

Post by jlmiller »

I was arrested 3 times with multiple charges on each when I was 17 & 18 years old.....I'm 37 now.

I went to the courthouse & got final dispositions for all of them. Then I scanned & uploaded them to the website.

My ltc was mailed exactly 2 weeks after submitting my application, court dispositions, and fingerprints.

I'll also say that my wife submitted all of her information 3 weeks ago, and it's still showing background under review. She has a squeaky clean record too....so probably just the holidays.

Topic author
Rmonty09

Post by Rmonty09 »

Thanks for all the input and help. I got in touch with the county courthouse and they are sending me the paperwork. I haven’t been on the website to see where the process was, and when I checked, the background check said “completed.” So I guess they won’t need my paperwork from Grayson county and my license should be printed and sent soon. Now I need to get the right concealed carry holster for my 9mm Shield. Any input on that?

allisji

Post by allisji »

Rmonty09 wrote:Thanks for all the input and help. I got in touch with the county courthouse and they are sending me the paperwork. I haven’t been on the website to see where the process was, and when I checked, the background check said “completed.” So I guess they won’t need my paperwork from Grayson county and my license should be printed and sent soon. Now I need to get the right concealed carry holster for my 9mm Shield. Any input on that?
safariland, comptac, alien gear all make good concealed carry options

also you can peruse this forum http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewforum.php?f=13

Also, if you are looking for something specific then use the "search bar" on the forum for instance appendix holster
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”